Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Did my bunny choke or was he just startled?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • henry2809
      Participant
      157 posts Send Private Message

Hey everyone! I am wondering if my lionhead choked tonight or if he was just scared while eating his pellets. I just want to make sure that I don’t need to bring him to the vet due to the risk for aspiration pneumonia after a choking episode. The lights were out and I was in bed and he was in his cage eating his pellets. He jumped out of his cage very quickly and ran around the room while thumping very loudly. I got up and turned the lights on and he was breathing very fast and looked very alert. He did not make any coughing sound and I didn’t see any fluid coming from his nose. He was breathing heavy and then he flopped in the corner of the room and his breathing eventually calmed down. He took some basil and treats from me. It seems like he may have just heard something that I couldn’t hear and got scared while eating, but I want to make sure I don’t need to bring him to the vet tomorrow for antibiotics. Thanks in advance!

• Azerane
        4688 posts Send Private Message

From what you’ve described it sounds more like he was scared suddenly. I have read that rabbits can dart around in alarm when choking, but usually there are other symptoms such as  drooling, raising their nose up to try and help them breathe, pawing at the mouth.

• henry2809
            Participant
            157 posts Send Private Message

That’s what I was thinking, thank you! He did sneeze a few times this morning, but he seems fine otherwise. I just don’t want him to start him on antibiotics unless absolutely necessary because he has a sensitive stomach.

• Azerane
            4688 posts Send Private Message

Just keep a close eye on him over the next few days just in case, and listen closely for any changes in breathing such as wheezing or shortness of breath.

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Did my bunny choke or was he just startled?