Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Dealing with multiple traumatic deaths at once…how do I do this?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Meghan
      Participant
      8 posts Send Private Message

I posted on here, not that long ago, about a health concern with one of my 4 buns. They were all out on panacur and seemed to be improving, so thank you to those who thought it could be a different type of EC than I originally thought.

But tonight I got home from work and found out that my roommate’s dog, who they just adopted, broke out of their crate and killed all 4 of my babies. I don’t even know how to describe how I currently feel. They were the only ones who I knew loved me unconditionally in life, and I felt the exact same towards them. I would cry with them when sad, talk out some of my deepest fears and thoughts, and they truly stopped me from hurting myself when I wasn’t doing well mentally.

I laid with them on the floor, petting them, telling them how they were the best bunnies I could have ever asked for. What the hell do I do now? I feel broken, and all I want is to hold them again. I feel guilty about it not only happening to them, but that one of the thoughts that keeps popping up is that there are so many other bunnies in need out there. And now I feel so incredibly guilty for even thinking about wanting more bunnies so soon after mine died…

• Bam
        16879 posts Send Private Message

I’m very sorry this happened to your buns. It is a tragedy. I remember your posts about Turkey and his unexplained weightloss. You clearly loved your buns very much.

Generally I’d say adopting a rescue bun shouldn’t be seen as replacing a lost rabbit – loved ones are unique and can’t ever be replaced. Your current living situation might not be well suited for rabbits though.

Binky free, sweet little buns.

• DanaNM
          8935 posts Send Private Message

Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry, that is a complete tragedy.

I don’t think you should feel guilty about considering rescuing again. You could try fostering because then it may feel less like you are “replacing”, even though even if you rescued again it still wouldnt be “replacing”.  You can also look into volunteering at a rescue, that helped me a lot in the past as well.

This probably goes without saying but I personally wouldn’t want to bring rabbits into an environment with that dog again. It’s not the dog’s fault really because it was just being a dog… but accidents happen and no matter how secure you make things this dog has demonstrated it has a high prey drive and will seek out the rabbits. Even if everything was kept secure you would likely be a nervous wreck about it all.

You may like to write a memorial for each of your bunnies here, when you feel ready. Making a photo book has also helped me in the past, but it’s always taken me some time to feel ready to do that.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Meghan
              Participant

Oh, I totally forgot to add, but my roommates are rehoming the dog. They feel just as heartbroken as me over the situation and truly never thought she would be a danger to them, since she never went anywhere near them… I don’t have any hate in my heart for the dog, she was just doing what a dog with a high prey drive does, but I told them that I couldn’t live with her in the house.

• Meghan
                Participant

Thank you, this community was so very welcoming and gives such great advice. I was hoping to update that original post once everyone finished their panacur, but of course that will never happen now…

The dog is currently in the process of being re-homed. My roommates feel terrible since I was hesitant to have a dog in the house in the first place (for fear of this exact thing happening).

If am being honest, I too don’t want to move too fast in adopting, because I am worried it won’t give me time to process these feelings; at the same time I so desperately crave having a bunny to press my head into and pet when things get tough. I work a later shift than most people I know and it gets incredibly lonely, so my bunnies were perfect companions, since they loved being up late with me. Thank you again for your kind words ❤️

• Bam
                16879 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits do love to be up at night! And of course it wasn’t the dog’s fault, it was just being a dog, probably also a bit confused by being in a new unfamiliar place (I feel sad for the dog too). I had a dog when I got my first rabbit (stray rabbit). It took some time and patience to get my dog to understand that the rabbit was not a toy – even though she was a very obedient dog that I’d had as a pup.

I hope you’ll have other rabbits at some point. As Dana says, you could foster to begin with. The rabbits I have now both started out as fosters.

• DanaNM
                  8935 posts Send Private Message

Ah, that’s good to know and probably for the best. A very sad outcome for everyone involved 🙁 . I hope the dog can end up in a good home that doesn’t have other pets.

I agree rabbits are wonderful late night companions :). I do think fostering might be a good option for you!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 4 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Dealing with multiple traumatic deaths at once…how do I do this?