Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Dealing with a difficult situation

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
    • LittlePuffyTail
      18092 posts Send Private Message

I need some help and advice dealing with this difficult situation.

Okay, so there are 2 rabbits that live at the stable where I board my horse. One, (Henri),  belongs to the son of the stable’s owner (rescued meat rabbit) and the other (Clover) belongs to an aquaintance of mine. She got the bunny from the spca when she boarded her horse there and bonded the two buns together. Then she moved her horse to another stable but for quite a while still visited, brushed and brought the bunnies pellets and veggies. The visits got few and farther between and she hasn’t been by for a long time and hasn’t brought the bunnies any pellets even though I’ve advised her they are out. I try to bring them some of my rabbit’s pellets when I see they are out because if they are out of pellets the owner feeds them horse grain (which consists of oats and corn and I’ve advised MANY times this is very bad for them). I also bring them veggies a few times a week.

I was very busy with my horse these past two weeks due to her injury and hadn’t really spent much time with the rabbits. Over the weekend I noticed Clover’s eye was running and looked a bit goopy. I e-mailed her owner. She didn’t seem too concerned; she doesn’t have time to go there anymore and basically isn’t very interested in going to visit my stable anymore. She said if I could offer her a better home, I could have her.  Yesterday the stable owner called me and told me Clover’s eye looked really bad. I went out today and it’s REALLY bad. Completely swollen shut and very puss-filled. I cleaned it as best I could and put a hot compress on it. I advised the owner of the stable she needs to see a vet ASAP. She agreed the bunny needs to see a vet and advised she will contact the bunny’s owner but said if worse comes to worse she will have to take her to the vet herself because she won’t see the bunny suffer and will then assume ownership of the bunny. I stressed the ASAP part. I don’t know the status of the owner’s response. I am going back out to the barn in the a.m. and hopefully will know more.

If at all possible, I would take this bunny to the vet myself but I have no funds available for this. I just had a vet visit Tuesday with Bindi and a big horse vet bill this month. Until she gets to the vet, what can I do to make her more comftorable? I want to do whatever I can possibly do for her. Is a hot compress a good idea? Should I try to clean her eye?

Just to mention she seems to be eating normal but is sort of withdrawn and wanting to hide alone. And she is walking a bit funny, I assume because she can only see out of one eye.

This is a terribly stressful situation for me as I really care for her and Henri and it hurts me a great deal to see her like this.

• rabbitsmba
        Participant
        475 posts Send Private Message

Geez, I never have nice things to say about stuff like this. I`d say call the bunny`s owner and tell her you will call the SPCA if she doesn`t get her butt down there and take that rabbit to a vet……

It`s terrible that you have to watch such obvious neglect and my heart aches for you. The stable owner should also be concerned seeing as these animals are being kept in her barn. Perhaps you and the stable owner can take bunny to the vet and the stable owner can pay for it and send the receipt to the owner…?

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

aw jeez. sorry you have to deal with this. that is a hard situation. let us know what happens tomorrow.

• RabbitPam
            11002 posts Send Private Message

The owner has definitely dumped the bunnies on both of you. If she were still boarding, the stable owner could add it to her bill, but sending her the bill for the vet is the next best thing.

If you want to agree with the stable owner to assume ownership, maybe you can offer to to the legwork of getting the bunnies cared for (take it to the vet, buy food supplies) in exchange for that amount being deducted from your next boarding bill. He can feed them, you can see that it’s always stocked up. You can feed, brush and water with each visit you make. If you both do this, get it in writing.

• Sarita
              Participant
              18851 posts Send Private Message

I agree with rabbitpam – this is a dump on the stable – why would you have a rabbit at a horse stable (unless you owned the stable) – I hope you can get the owner of the stable to take the rabbit to the vet and assume ownership – that’s really better than the SPCA where she could be put to sleep because of her condition. Rabbitpam’s idea of helping with the rabbit is great too.

• JK
                Participant
                2223 posts Send Private Message

Oh this just sucks.  How irresponsible and people like that do not deserve to have animals.  The poor bun is in a lot of pain for sure. It’s so unfair to you too. I would want to take them out of there, take them to a vet and send the owner the bill and would call the SPCA. Makes me so angry. Keep us posted.

• Beka27
                  Participant

yeah… what about that? calling the SPCA? can you call and report that one of the adopters abandoned their bun in a barn. can they flag the person in the system? you start off great, adopt a bun that needs a home, but c’mon… follow thru.

• Sarita
                    Participant
                    18851 posts Send Private Message

Hmmm….okay I see that she got the rabbit from the SPCA so I would definitely talk to them about that – not sure if they would take the rabbit back and take care of the eye though or put him or her to sleep (which is a concern here) – not certain what their adoption contract says either but they can certainly look her up in their system and do what they need to do. Neverthe less, this rabbit needs to see a vet.

• LittlePuffyTail

Today the bunny’s owner agreed she would pay the vet costs but she couldn’t make it to the vet till next week so the stable owner and I took her to the vet this morning. Her eye was really bad, it was totally breaking my heart. The vet checked for a scratch and concluded it wasn’t so she flushed the eye out and said there was tons of puss coming out, the poor little thing. The vet said there is a chance it may be Pasteurella and said she would advise the buns owner to get the culture done. She sent us home with eye drops which I gave to her today and recommended another flushing next week.

Her owner and the stable owner agreed that Clover is too fragile to live at the barn (even though she’s been there for a year) and that her owner should take her home to live with her. I’m glad that Clover will be getting a lot more care and attention at her owner’s house but poor Henri is separated from his buddy and now he will be alone. He hardly gets any attention and I feel so bad for him. I advised that this isn’t a good idea as they may both get depressed but it’s sort of situation where I gave my opinion but really have no say in the decision. I just get stuck worrying about them. I’m very sad because these buns were so sweet together, like a little married couple.

I will just have to do my best to give him as much attention as I can. If Clover has pasteurella then Henri obviously does too so I have to make sure to wash my hands and change my shirt asap when I get home before I touch my buns.

• JK
                        Participant
                        2223 posts Send Private Message

Why can’t the owner take Henri too?  Is Henri not her bunny? The barn is nowhere for these 2 to live anyway!  You’re right their little hearts will be broken. What kind of care will Clover REALLY get at home?  I’m worried the poor thing will suffer since the owner did nothing about the eye for so long.  What kind of owner is that!

• MooBunnay
                          Participant
                          3087 posts Send Private Message

I am glad that at least Clover will get the medical attention that she needs – I think that is the highest priority right now. I am concerned about poor Henri as well, but you have really done the best work that you can in that kind of situation. It is a difficult one to be in, but you did a great job making sure that Clover will get healed. Just make sure to spend a little extra time with Henri when you can, and perhaps print out some discussions on bonding and how close the bunnies get? Here are a couple articles you could send to her:

http://www.allearssac.org/couples.html

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/multiple.html

• Beka27
                            Participant

does the owner even want her? she didn’t care enough to bring her food or spend time with her… but now she’s going to start paying vet bills? somehow i doubt this.

oh well. Hugs for you LPT! thank goodness you got her there!

• LittlePuffyTail

I’m quite confident Clover will receive good care now. Her owner has lots of pets and they are all well taken care of. I think she will be much better taken care of if she is actually with the owner. Besides, Ill be keeping up to date with her!

As for Henri, he belongs to the stable owner’s son (although I don’t think I’ve ever seen the boy with the bunny in 2 years!) I will have to make him feel loved as much as I can. I’m gonna bring him some toys and treats today as I think Clover left last night.

• RabbitPam
                                11002 posts Send Private Message

If the owner has stepped up to take Clover home, and has many pets already, would she be open to taking Henri too? I’m betting the stable owner would be relieved, and can just explain to his son that if you don’t care for an animal, you don’t get to keep it. I know that’s asking a lot. Very glad both of you got her medical care.

• Beka27
                                  Participant

^^^that’s what i’m wondering… if you can tell her how attached they are to each other, maybe (if she’s truly an animal lover) she will take him in too. they could even share an xpen, so she wouldn’t really need *more* space…

• bunnytowne
                                    Participant
                                    7537 posts Send Private Message

hi  I keep checking your posts to see how clover and henri are doing. awe is sad. I hope it all works out that henri can go with clover after al. awe bunny vibes coming

• rabbitsmba
                                      Participant
                                      475 posts Send Private Message

Although I am relieved that Clover has seen a vet and is being treated, my heart aches that these two bunnies will now be separated . Is there any way at all they can be kept together? If they are a bonded pair, you must not break them up – it will be devastating to them and either one can get seriously depressed – some bunnies have even been known to die of a broken heart.

Keeping them together will also lift Clover’s spirits and help her to heal faster.

Why do people do this to animals? I’m so sad….

• LittlePuffyTail

I’ve tried explaining the strong bond between bunnies but to no avail. Clover is doing well I’m told although I haven’t seen her since Friday. Henri seems to be doing alright, eating and running around. He seems more wanting of human attention. I’m going to e-mail Clover’s owner this week and ask her what she thinks about discussing taking henri with the stable’s owner. It will take a lot of convincing to change both their minds but I will keep trying.

I spent a lot of time with Henri this weekend. I brought him lots of boxes, a nice soft cat bed which he loves now and a big stuffed bunny. He is such a little sweetheart!

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Dealing with a difficult situation