Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Dandelions

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
    • Firsttimer
      Participant
      144 posts Send Private Message

Pepper will eat anything, so of course she loves the leaves of dandelions.  I just wondered if I should be giving her the flower as well to eat or if that will make her ill??

• Sage Cat
        Participant
        1883 posts Send Private Message

As far as I know the only part og the dandelion that is not edible is the fluffy seeds that we love to blow in the wind.

• KytKattin
          Participant
          1195 posts Send Private Message

~Yes, so many of our animals eat them that we just seed our whole lawn with them at this point. I think we’re the only ones in the neighborhood that encourage them. Our neighbors probably love us for it too! Tehe

• Floppy
            Participant
            490 posts Send Private Message

I buy my dandelion at Savemart or Safeway. I’m not sure its the same kind of dandelion that grow in fields…(weeds?)
              from what I remember, those weeds have that milky fluid that comes out when you snap them? Anyway, the dandelions
              I buy at the store seem safer to me.

• wendyzski
              Participant
              1312 posts Send Private Message

My Pepper loves the leaves and the flowers too.  The flowers are sweet, so the usual “not too many” caveat applies/

• ScooterandAnnette
                Participant
                1090 posts Send Private Message

Dandelions are fine for bunnies…we take them out of our lawn which we don’t spray with pesticides or fertilizer and wash them well. Our four love them. If you gather them from somewhere just make sure that you know that the area hasn’t been sprayed.

• MimzMum
                  Participant
                  8029 posts Send Private Message

You can BUY dandies at Safeway?? *stares in wonder* Wow, I wish our stores did that! Of course, in a few weeks, if the snow ever goes away, we’ll have tons of them for a few months, but I always wanted to have them for the buns in winter too.
                    That’s so cool!

• BinkyBunny
                    8776 posts Send Private Message

Mimzmum – hahaha. Yes, that is actually the only way I get them. LOL. They are about $2 bucks a bundle so I usually head over to the farmers market and get them for 50 cents a bundle.

• kimberleyanddarren
                      Participant
                      2520 posts Send Private Message

we never see any dandelions here really maybe the odd one or 2 and certainly no-one is selling them so i dont know wherelse i could get them

• Holly
                        Participant
                        371 posts Send Private Message

I found them by accident. There is a mom and pop produce called clemons market here in fl. I actually found them just by showing hubby the place. Holly loves them. I should check safe way out sometimes. We have one, but I never go there.

• kimberleyanddarren
                          Participant
                          2520 posts Send Private Message

what about these kind?
                            http://www.bbc.co.uk/cumbria/content/images/2007/04/17/dandelions_470x353.jpg
                            the ones with no blow it bits

• tobyluv
                            Participant
                            3310 posts Send Private Message

I buy dandelion greens at local natural markets, such as Earth Fare, and I grow my own from seed.  I get my seeds from Johnny’s Seeds.  Here is the link to the page where they are sold: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/search.aspx?scommand=search&search=dandelion

• Firsttimer
                              Participant
                              144 posts Send Private Message

Oh dear, I thought I would wait a couple of days to see what response I got from this before picking the flowers for Pepper and Dylan. But when I finally went to get them they were ALL gone. Those wild rabbits must have had a lovely midnight feast!!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                Participant
                                12067 posts Send Private Message

Oh darn I wish they sold them in stores here!! I’ve never seen them, but I always check out the whole produce section, and shop with my approved veggies list so I know what I can experiement with…BTW Mint is soo not Ok with my bunnies It was funny, I got some as a treat and gave Kokanee a leave, and she gobbled it up, then …slowly..spit it out…and ran away mad…LOL what a goof!!

• Bunnies4ever
                                  Participant
                                  368 posts Send Private Message

There is only one supermarket around me that sells dandelion leaves in the produce section. I made a special trip there and brought some to see whether my buns liked them or not. THEY LOVED THEM!!!! I was laughing when Stella took one end and Luna took the other and it looked like that scene from Lady and the Tramp when they were eating both ends of the spaghetti. Too funny!

• tobyluv
                                    Participant

If anyone is able to find dandelion greens at a store in their area, make sure that you use them up quickly.  They are the most perishible veggie that I’ve ever seen.  They get spotty and slimy in just two or three days after purchase.

• jpgood
                                      Participant
                                      84 posts Send Private Message

right from the yard???

• tobyluv
                                        Participant

You can use dandelions picked from the yard, just make sure to wash them thoroughly.  Also make sure that no weed killers have been sprayed on or near them.  I either buy mine from the store or grow my own Italian dandelions from seed.

• BinkyBunny
                                          8776 posts Send Private Message

tobyluv – there is a great trick to keeping dandelions fresh for a week! Wrap them in in a damp paper towel, then place them in a plastic bag and poke air holes in the plastic bag.

• tobyluv
                                            Participant

I do wrap the dandelions in a paper towel and place them in a plastic bag inside my refrigerator crisper drawer.  I’ve never tried poking holes in the plastic before.  Thanks for the tip.  All the dandelion greens sold here (in South Carolina) come from California, so they’re already a few days old by the time I buy them, that’s why I prefer to grow my own.  I’m still harvesting last year’s crop, but some of it is starting to go to seed.  I’m getting ready to plant some more seeds, a new variety called Clio.

• Floppy
                                              Participant
                                              490 posts Send Private Message
                                                hahaha. Yes, that is actually the only way I get them. LOL. They are about $2 bucks a bundle so I usually head over to the farmers market and get them for 50 cents a bundle.

I actually loooove the Savemart by my house, I get Dandelions there for $1.69 Yesterday I bought Dandelion, Parsley and Red Leaf all for under 3.00
                                                I should check out some farmers markets around here…hmm

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Dandelions