Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Dancer not doing well (hiding a lot)

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • Liza
      Participant
      155 posts Send Private Message

*UPDATE ON BOTTOM! HE IS DOING MUCH BETTER!!! THE BONDING IS A SUCCESS!!!*

As some of you know, we are working on getting a bunny companion for our girl Velvet whom we just adopted.

Dancer was seized by animal control back in November 2007 when a breeder was shut down. Dancer has been in the shelter (up north) ever since (brought to the Humane Society at one point). A loving volunteer noticed that while other bunnies got adopted out, nobody paid much attention to Dancer who would sit in the far back of the cage, just terrified and overlooked by people. When I met Dancer last weekend (the local House Rabbit Society got him out of the shelter), I saw a very shy and insecure bunny boy. We allowed Velvet to meet him and the first thing he did was trying to mate with her. He is neutered, she is spayed, but it’s in his brain to do that, I assume. Velvet hated that, of course, so it wasn’t love at first sight, but my wonderful friend is working on bonding these two. I am very familiar with bonding rats, but not rabbits. As much as I read up on that topic, I’d rather avoid an accident due to my ignorance. My wonderful friend keeps me updated.

Dancer hides a lot and is scared of noises. Yesterday, he circled around his x pen frantically, until my friend gave him a box and he could hide under it. She then got him out and let him chill in the hallway. When she put him back in, he was frantic again so she put Velvet in with him, which helped him calm down.

I don’t even want to imagine what this poor boy has been through (7 months at a shelter can’t be much of fun and who knows what his quality of life was like before being seized).

He needs some good thoughts of peace and happiness. I think of him every day. If we find out Velvet and Dancer won’t get along, I will still love him and wish him a loving forever home. He is highly adoptable (I assume) because he is a mini rex with an exceptional hair color (he looks blue to me). Here is one picture of Dancer.

• rabbitsmba
        Participant
        475 posts Send Private Message

Oh poor Dancer! His behaviour is not all that unusual. Bunnies really like the protection of having someplace to hide so I think it’s a good idea to make sure he always has a cardboard box, willow tent or some other structure to hide in to help him feel safe.

Recently, our rescue helped place hundreds of rabbits from the SPCA (part of a cruelty investigation at a meat farm). These rabbits were so scared and terrified, one rabbit in particular would not leave his carrier for three days upon arrival at his foster home. Sometimes the fear is too much and they need to feel secure and confined until they get a chance to explore their surroundings and build trust again.

Dancer is a very beautiful bunny and very lucky to have found you. Take the bonding nice and slow – I am sure he will do well with a mate. And often, it is the hard to socialize rabbits that end up stealing our hearts the most when, little by little, the trust begins to build and you begin to see a wonderful, confident and loving bunny emerge from a delicate and untrusting shell. He will be worth every effort you make – trust me!

• Liza
          Participant

Thank you rabbitsmba! Yes, my friend is very experienced with rabbits and she has the magic touch with them! He didn’t have a box because she was working on switching their things (he gets her box and toys and she gets his) but then she had to pick up a relinquished rabbit and things were hectic. Dancer sounds very sensitive to me. I think Velvet would be a great companion to boost his confidence. He looks all tough, he behaved all tough after about an hour of me meeting him, but he is skittish and unsure of his surroundings. If he gets along with Velvet, then we will have all the patience in the world. I don’t want our girl to be alone anymore. She is very social and I know she would love to snuggle up against a bunny. We can’t be with her at all times, though she gets hours and hours of free time each day – we will never be as good as a rabbit companion can ever be.
            We have socialized many, many abandoned rats, from the worst biters to the most scared ones to the sickest ones – TLC is very important and it can do miracles! Of course, when needed, appropiate medical care, as well; that’s implied.

I just wish I could take Dancer’s fear away by clapping my hands (like a magic woman) and blinking my eyes. That would be neat!

When we get both bunnies over here, maybe the quality of freedom in our house will help Dancer. It surely did the trick for Velvet!!!

• JK
            Participant
            2223 posts Send Private Message

I really think this is to be expected. Be patient with him.  He’s been through so much in his life. He is so gorgeous.  I hope things work out for you but don’t expect too much.  The mounting is so normal anyway despite his background.  I hope you can find it in your heart to give him a chance even if it takes awhile.  Good luck. You sound like a fantastic bunny mom.

• MarkBun
              Participant
              2842 posts Send Private Message

Dono is a big ‘hider’ himself – usually reclusing himself in his cardboard box whenever I am around. However, his bond with Maryann has made him a very happy guy.

• Scarlet_Rose
                Participant
                4293 posts Send Private Message

Oh my goodnes poor baby!  Try not to think about what Dancer has gone through and just focus on healing all the hurt and erasing all those bad memories that may be residing in her head.  Plenty of TLC, hugs and snuggles and lots and lots of patience and one on one time are key.  Hopefully the bonding will help and it’s great that you realize that while you would love it to work, you know it may not as well.  As far as bonding goes, would you like some info?

These are some previous discussions:

Bonding:

MaryAnn Part 1 https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=54&forumid=6&tpage=1&view=topic&postid=17866#18451

MaryAnn Part 2 https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=54&forumid=8&postid=19687&view=topic

X-pen bonding set-up (L-shape) https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=54&forumid=6&tpage=1&view=topic&postid=31999#32069

X-pen bonding experience https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=54&forumid=6&tpage=1&view=topic&postid=41219#41868

Jessica & Tommy https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=54&forumid=6&postid=24981&view=topic

These are links to the bonding info section on Binky Bunny:

https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=63

https://binkybunny.com/BUNNYINFO/BondingPhotoJournals/RucyBaileyWeek1/tabid/73/Default.aspx

I wish you lots of luck and lots of success.  Please keep us updated on the bonding progress!

• Liza
                  Participant

Wow! Thank you for all that information! Great! I’ve been reading a lot and watched a few videos on bonding…

I just heard this morning that Dancer and Velvet are nuzzling each other through the x pen divider, they will sit there nose to nose. So cute!!! Their date yesterday was not all that great, but not bad either. Today, my friend will be home all day, so she will try to leave them together in the hallway for longer. She said they are almost as close as to try a sleepover. They met today one week ago. I think I will leave the two of them there for one more week just to be sure.

These are my first real pet bunnies and I love my Velvety so much that I want to be sure not to make any mistake. My friend is falling in love with Velvet! Haha! She went from a completely aggressive and attacking bunny to this absolute lovebug of a cuddler, so very affectionate and full of pure love!

Velvet is giving Dancer the confidence he needs in order to be a happy bunny. More and more, it looks like we will adopt Dancer, too! YAY!!! The bonding hasn’t taken too much time as of now… only one week has gone by!

Yes, you are right, no need to go back in time and imagine what they have been through.  I focus on happy thoughts. When we people have pity and cry and have these feelings of anxiety, it surely projects over to the animals. When we are relaxed and happy, they benefit from that.

Hopefully in one week, we will have both bunnies here and then I will post a ton of pictures of my cuties!!! I can’t wait to let the two of them roam around this place!!! Dancer is rather fat, he needs the exercise anyway… haha! He is not fond of salad. He doesn’t seem to really know what veggies are, so he barely eats them while Velvet chomps her down before she eats any pellets. She loves her hay and veggies!

Oh, I am so happy!!!

Thank you all for the great advice!

• Liza
                    Participant

Just heard from my friend: Velvet groomed Dancer and vice versa!!! It was a good grooming, a very sweet one. YAY!!! Oh, I am SO happy!!!
                      They have spent their first night together, I can’t wait to hear from my friend how it went! Most likely, I will go pick them both up this Sunday. I am so thrilled! I’m going to work full of energy now, like an energizer bunny! I am so happy!!!

• Gravehearted
                      Participant
                      2428 posts Send Private Message

I am so happy to read your update 😀

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                        Participant
                        12067 posts Send Private Message

Great to hear!!

• Scarlet_Rose
                          Participant
                          4293 posts Send Private Message

That’s wonderful news! I am so happy the bonding is working out so well! : )

• Liza
                            Participant

Another update is due: Dancer and Velvet are inseperable and are both doing incredibly well! Dancer is getting used to living here, and as I am typing, he is running around (well, not really running, but…) the dining room and kitchen. He is such a sweet boy, we truly snatched up an amazing boy!!! He looooooves my husband and trusts him way more than me. That’s ok. My husband is the one who didn’t want the bunnies back… haha! And now? HAHAHAAA!

• Gravehearted
                              Participant
                              2428 posts Send Private Message

aww that’s great ya for happy endings

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Dancer not doing well (hiding a lot)