Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Cube Condo Question

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lucky Star
      Participant
      96 posts Send Private Message

I am new to binky bunny and I am currently in the process of adopting two rabbits. As I was planning their cage, I decided to make one out of those cubes form Target. My plan was to build a four level condo where the ramp in between the second and third floors could be latched up to create a single cage on top and a single cage on the bottom (the rabbits I am trying to adopt are rather young and when they reach sexual maturity I will probably need to seperate them). However, when looking through pictures of the condos on binky bunny, I noticed that none of them are more than three stories. Are the cubes not strong enough to build four or is there another reason not to build four floors for the rabbits? Has it just never been attempted or is there a real reason to not build up that high?

Thanks in advance for your help, this looks like a really awesome website!

• Eepster
        Participant
        1236 posts Send Private Message

We went three simply b/c taller than that and it gets hard to reach stuff up there to clean. If you are a tall person, go for it.

Target cubes are inferior. Half the grids in the box are unusable on levels the bunny can reach, b/c the wires are wide enough to get the head caught in. Other brannd which cost the same are a much better value since all the cubes can be used anywhere. I got the ones for Porky’s condo from Bed Bath & Beyond, but there are many other brands.too.

• Lucky Star
          Participant

The grid is too big? Oh, that is good to know. I got some from target.com and all the reviews said that they made a great guinea pig cage, so I thought that they would be good for rabbits as well. Thanks for the tip! Does anyone know what the best brand is for the best price?

• Eepster
            Participant
            1236 posts Send Private Message

Those reviews are old. They switch sizes just a few years ago.

• MoveDiagonally
              Participant
              2361 posts Send Private Message
                Welcome to BB! 
                I think they are some reasonably priced ones at Kmart. 

$21.99 for 24 grids

You can get them shipped to a local store for free (Orders over $50 get free shipping). I really don’t know anything about the Target grids and if they’re okay or not so I’ll go with Eepster on that. I bought all my grids off craigslist.  

Onto your question I think 4 levels would work but as Eepster said it would be tall. For example. Here is my husband next to our 4 grid high cage. 

I would not suggest making each grid height one level as you want your rabbits to be able to periscope (stand on hind legs). So for 4 levels I think you would need to go even taller than 4 grids… Which would require a very tall person to be cleaning and getting into the cage. I think you’re better off building two separate cages until they are older, spayed/neutered, and bonded. At that point you can make them a joint cage and you don’t have to worry about it being able to be separated. Anything you build now would likely have to be re-done once they are older and bonded (If that’s your goal). Rabbits can’t usually live in the same habitat after being bonded as they did before. 

• Lucky Star
                Participant

Ok, thanks for all the feedback! I’ll go ahead and build two separate cages then and wait till they are bonded to make a big one that they can stand up in.

• mia
                  Participant
                  519 posts Send Private Message

I have a partial 4th level on mine (only reason it’s partial is I intentionally left a panel out horizontally so that I could store some items there). There are no issues with stability but I have dwarfs. On top of that level, I even put a carrier on it for storage and it’s more than strong enough. Each level is a grid tall but the levels are L shaped to give extra room vertically if they want it and also for jumping between the levels.

For cleaning, I have one door in the front for the bottom two levels and one door in the back for the top two levels. My condo is not reinforced by any lumber so I needed to space out the door for stability.

• Lucky Star
                    Participant

miaeih- Thanks so much! What kind of cubes do you use (where did you get them)? I am thinking maybe 2 and a half levels for mine (they are dwarfs).

• mia
                      Participant
                      519 posts Send Private Message

I bought mine at Bed Bath and Beyond as well as on Craigslist. For the ones from Craigslist, I did end up with some that had larger grids (and my dwarfs can completely fit through them). I still used it to build my condo but put them in the corners and I cut up some blanket/towel material and zip tied it to the grids. Those corners are my buns’ favorite places since it’s dark. Also used them for the levels since boards would be covering it up.

• Lucky Star
                        Participant

Awesome, thanks so much everyone! This has helped so much in deciding how to build the cage.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Cube Condo Question