Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Cube Cages

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
    • Nykki
      Participant
      19 posts Send Private Message

I’m in the process of building a cage with storage cubes and Bunny’s cage is going to be at lest 3 cubes high.  So my question for those that have a cube cage: do you use the connectors that come in the box, zip ties only, or a combination of both??  Also how do you guys make the door?  How easy is it to clean??  Thanks,

Nykki

• katie, max & penny
        Participant
        956 posts Send Private Message

just zip ties for me. my buns like to gnaw on the ones that come with it.

• Cake
          Participant
          91 posts Send Private Message

I used both. My bun doesn’t chew on them. I find it really makes it sturdy if you use both. There is no way it’s coming apart.

Here is a picture of mine so you can see where I made the doors. (bottom and top level)

Photobucket

Photobucket

• NickiM
            Participant
            66 posts Send Private Message

i use just zip ties for mine

hope this is helpful to you

• PEPPA GEORGIE
              Participant
              268 posts Send Private Message

I am going to make one this weekend too and was wondering the same thing. Does anyone else have any more pics for some ideas????

• BinkyBunny
                8776 posts Send Private Message

What fun!  For more cube structure ideas check out our cool habitat section and click on cubes.  Also, on the cool habitats page, scroll down past the gallery and you’ll see a bunch of links that have instructions on how to build them – lots of different ideas.

https://binkybunny.com/BUNNYINFO/Coo…fault.aspx

Can’t wait to see the masterpiece you end up with.  I am sure your bunnies will be very happy!

• PEPPA GEORGIE
                  Participant

Thanks for that was great. Am waiting patiently (or impatiently) for the packs to be delivered by parcel post so we can get started. My dad has lino ready and lots of cable ties, but need to get something to lock the door parts with xxx not sure what they mean by spring load clips ???
                    Dont know whether to put any pieces of fleece in or not as at moment in pen they dont have and in general they seem to pee on anything soft i put in there cage???? Their pen will then go in the garden for the guineas to use as a large run xx
                    I really wanted pink coloured grids but cant seem to get them over here and only ones to order were grey it seems xx I would just love to make a pink bunny palace for the little princesses lol xx

• Beka27
                    Participant
                    16016 posts Send Private Message

I have used dog clips to close up bunny pens. It’s the little clip that is on the end of a dog leash, you can purchase them separately and most places that have a hardware section.

• RabbitPam
                      11002 posts Send Private Message

Ordinarily I wouldn’t promote a store here, but I was linked to this Ebay seller and bought some coroplast squares last week. Well, we are both in FL, but I got them the next day!

While browsing through their store, I saw one NIC square cage door for sale. Hmmm, I thought. You can never find those. So here is the link.

I think you’ll spot some handy items for building your own cage.

stores.shop.ebay.com/Pets-and-Peopl…QQ_armrsZ1

• PEPPA GEORGIE
                        Participant

OOOO thanks i shall have a look xx

• PEPPA GEORGIE
                          Participant

I had a look and they were really cool but cant get them in the uk i dont think.
                            The doors were really impressive x They are also alot cheaper with you x
                            I will try to find the dog clips though xx

• flippersmom
                            Participant
                            213 posts Send Private Message

I used both the connectors and zip ties and mine are super sturdy!!! We used zip ties not tightened all the way to serve as hinges for the doors!! My cages are 3 cubes by 2 cubes and 4 cubes high, so we made one whole end into a door to swing open for access to cleaning all 4 levels!!! We also have another door of only 1 cube that the buns use to ente/exit the cage. We clip them shut with wooden clips that are made for hanging clothes on clotheslines!!! My hubby also mad a wooden base with wheels that the whole thing sits in, so we can move it around to clean under and behind as well as to rearrrange the furniture (I do that alot!!!!). I would post pictures, but I just realized I haven’t taken any yet!!!!!!!!

• Nykki
                              Participant

Thanks everyone.
                                So far I’ve only completed two of the sides and used nearly 200 zip ties! It just doesn’t feel very study to me. I have a 60lb+ dog that is very friendly but also a little clumsy, a naughty cat, and an 18 month old son that could potentially be around the cage so I’m a little concerned about safety. I’m considering returning the cubes and buying an x-pen instead. Have any of you guys added shelves or a second story in an x-pen? This is for one 4lb rabbit if that makes any difference.

• PEPPA GEORGIE
                                Participant

Flippersmom that sounds amazing i so want to see some pics xxx
                                  Nykki sounds like you have been busy, mine didnt turn up today so have to wait untill monday which is a pain but never mind, maybe i can learn from your mistakes before i start lol xx

• bunnytowne
                                  Participant
                                  7537 posts Send Private Message

Cake  I just love the tiles on the 1st floor of your bunny condo.  That white thing they are setting in what is it and where did you get it.  Whats it called. 

Thats the problem I had with making cages out of cubes.  I couldn’t find  a high sided thing and botton to keep the mess in.

• jerseygirl
                                    22342 posts Send Private Message

BT, Skibunny posted her new cage set up in Lounge. They used vinyl flooring that came up the sides to keep things in.

Nykki, I think once you have all sides it may square up and become more sturdy. From what I’ve seen, you can use lengths of dowel to give extra sturdiness.

• Cake
                                      Participant

Bunnytowne, it’s moulding I bought at Lowe’s. It was really cheap. I just then nailed it into the plywood base (with the lino top)
                                        Oh and at lowe’s they cut all the pcs. for me. It cost me a dollar for every four cuts.

• PEPPA GEORGIE
                                        Participant

yes i have just been looking at the flooring on bbs in the lounge and think i might copy that idea xx had this thought i could pullit up around the edges like that too and staple the corners so it sort of makes a base x not sure if that makes sense x

• flippersmom
                                          Participant
                                          213 posts Send Private Message

Yes, I have to admit that I stole the base idea from Cake (thanks, by the way!!!). My hubby mad mine in no time from leftovers from some of his construction jobs!!!!!! We also use linoleum to cover the floor!!! For the floor of each level, we first used the cubes with connectors and zip ties, then put linoleum covered plywood on top!!! Hubby drilled holes is the corners of the plywood so I could zip tie it to the cage to prevent it from moving. He also made ramps which we also zip tied into place!!!

I do know that my buns really love these cages!!!! I can hear them now racing up and down between levels!!!! We had to bring one of their old cages back in to set up for a foster bun and I swear they were like “No, no, we promise to be good bunnies, please don’t make us move out of our castles and back into that apartment!!!!!”

• Beka27
                                            Participant
                                            16016 posts Send Private Message

The NIC condos can be very sturdy, like Jersey and others said, you’re going to need dowels for supporting the shelves. That being said, I prefer the ease of use that comes from xpens. To clean the bunny area, I can lift the xpen off their rug, vacuum thoroughly, and put it back. You can’t do this with NIC condos. By the time you purchase all of the supplies for the condo, especially if you’re doing nice shelving and a base, you will spend more on that then on an xpen… and spend a long time building it. I’m sure whichever you do, it will turn out great.

• Cake
                                              Participant

I also have those sticky funiture movers on the bottom of it so it slides all around with ease. I agree it would be nice to have an ex-pen too!

• Nykki
                                                Participant

Well, I gave up on the cube cage and bought an ex-pen instead. I am still going to build a base made of wood with either casters or sliders on the bottom to protect my carpet. I’m thinking that I’m going to use a sheet of vinyl tile for the flooring with maybe a sheet (or two) of Coroplast that can be removed for easy cleaning. Sort of difficult for me to explain but I’ll post pictures when I’m done. I think the cube cage would have been neat but I prefer something more simple and I didn’t like the look of all the zip ties and connectors. So now my question: Do those with an ex-pen have a cover? Does your rabbit(s) ever try to jump out?

• BinkyBunny
                                                  8776 posts Send Private Message

I am fond of xpens and sheet vinyl for flooring too. I bet it will work out great!  Some bunnies can jump out of the xpen (the smaller ones), but most don’t.   You do have to be careful though that you don’t put anything they can jump off of as a launch from inside of the pen.  Also, if there is a reference of landing near the pen, like a chair, couch or bed that would provide a soft landing if it is close enough, can make a bunny feel confident to try and jump out.

There are actually tops made for xpen, If you google x pen cover, you’ll get a variety of options.  You can also find a sheet or blanket.  If you don’t like the look of that you can try and find a nice blanket or sheet that has a color you like or doesn’t stand out like a sore thumb.

Viewing 22 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Cube Cages