Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Critical Care And Stasis

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • Sam
      Participant
      16 posts Send Private Message

Hey everyone! Lady had to go into the vet today. Yesterday night? She was happy, hoppy and her normal self? This am? My husband usually gives Lady and her bonded mate, Tramp a Crasin before work. Tramp devoured his. Lady wouldn’t even sniff hers or move from the litter box. My husband called me out of bed and told me he thought there was something wrong with her, so I tried to feed her some greens for breakfast. Again, Tramp went ham, enjoying his veggies. Lady sat in the litter box. I felt her belly and even picked her up to put her in her carrier with zero resistance, which is unlike her. Well, long story short, one vet visit later, the vet says we caught Lady’s stasis in the VERY early stages, Lady is shedding right now and treats me brushing, pulling hair or even using a lint roller on her like it is TORTURE, so it’s quite difficult to do. The vet thinks it is due to her ingesting hair and prescribed us some Critical Care, an anti-inflammatory to be given once daily and a painkiller to be give twice daily (via syringe). As far as the Critical Care goes, I am supposed to be giving her 6 tbsp a day (1 tbsp every 4 hours) and then ween her off as she starts to eat. I’ve given her 3 doses of her Critical Care already, and she doesn’t love it, but she is trying SO hard to cooperate and just deal, she’s a smart girl, I think she knows her mommy means her no harm. She is as of now, slightly more active and even ate a Crasin when we got home from the vet but I’ve got a couple questions

1. Is there anything that can make syringe feeding her easier? She seems to do best in a towel burrito, but still spits a good amount out and onto her chest, which I try to clean up for her, but usually by then, she is over sitting still. I’ve heard mixing a tiny, tiny bit of fresh pineapple in is a good idea because allegedly pineapple helps them gastroinstinally and of course it adds sweetness, has anyone had any luck with that?

2. How and when should I start weening her off of Critical Care? She has yet to use the bathroom (it’s been 10 hours since our vet visit) and while she has sniffed at some of the greens Tramp ate for lunch, she didn’t take a bite at all. Also, when the time comes for me to ween her should I do it like every five hours instead of 4? Give her 5 tbsp instead of 6? I’ve never had to administer Critical Care before, and didn’t even think of these questions of course until my vet was out of the office for the day.

3. Should I be waking up in the middle of the night to syringe feed her critical care or skip the dose while I’m sleeping? She is my baby and of course I’m more than happy to set an alarm to get up and give her some food mush but if that’s unnecessary I also wouldn’t hate getting 8 straight hours of sleep.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• LittlePuffyTail
        18092 posts Send Private Message

Hi, sorry your baby is sick and that no one responded before now. I’m hoping she is doing better today.

Here is a link to a syringe feeding video that was shared in a recent thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N12…e=youtu.be

It’s difficult to do, for sure, some bunnies being more difficult that others. Sounds like your girl isn’t too bad.

As for weaning, off, honestly, I’ve never really done that. I’ve had buns on CC for several days and then as soon as they were back to eating and pooping normal, I would cut back to just a couple TBSP for like a day and then none at all. To stop the CC you’ll need to make sure your bun is getting adequate hay intake. And I’m by no means an expert, so this is always something your vet can advise you on.

Yes, while my buns were on CC, I would get up in the middle of the night. Grueling but when you think of a bunny’s GI system, they are grazers…they should never go 8 hours without eating. It’s very tiring…..like having a newborn baby. I’ve been there. Best of luck and hope bunny is better soon (or already better).

• Sam
          Participant

This was actually only posted a few hours ago so no worries I appreciate your quick reply though! I’ve had three other bunnies before these two but this is my first time dealing with stasis, so it’s a bit nerve wracking! It’s been twelve hours now since she came home from the vet, she’ll eat half a Crasin of offered and still sniffs at veggies but won’t eat. She’s been getting a syringe full of pedialite too Cuz she hasn’t drank. I can hear her tummy gurgling and have been massaging it but she still hasn’t eaten on her own or used the bathroom, is that normal?

• Sam
            Participant

This was actually only posted a little while ago so thanks for the quick reply. Her condition hasn’t changed much, a little bit active but mostly lethargic still and 12 hours after her vet visit she still hasn’t used the bathroom yet, is that to be expected?

• Boing
              Participant
              253 posts Send Private Message

Cincinnati has gone almost 24 hours without using his box. It’s not ideal, but he had subcutaneous fluids and he recovered. He won’t swallow critical care, not even for vet techs.

Hopefully Lady will recover! Meanwhile, there is a plastic attachment that you can put on the end of a syringe. It makes everything so much easier! I’d ask the vet for some.

• Sam
                Participant

And is there any truth in pineapple juice helping with stasis? Also my vet only gave me enough anti inflammatory for five days…is that a relatively normal time for recovery?

• Boing
                  Participant
                  253 posts Send Private Message

Yes! My vet recommends pineapple or pineapple juice. Cincinnati has minor bouts of this often. There’s something in pineapple that is good for gut motility. Don’t ask me what it is, but she recommends pineapple above all other options. It’s also irresistible to most bunnies, which can’t hurt.

Mine is usually fine within three days. So, yes, probably, but if you notice issues persisting, I’d contact the vet again.

• Sam
                    Participant

Lady is up and moving! She fought pretty hard against me for that last feeding which hey, fighting spirit is good! She also has FINALLY left her condo and come out into the attached playpen and is hanging out with Tramp! She’s in the litter box right now, I never thought I’d be praying for bunny poop, but here I am! Wish me luck on the next feeding (1:30 am, and I’m an early bird so ugh) I’ll keep this forum posted! Thank everyone so much for the help!

• Sam
                      Participant

SHE POOPED! It’s irregular and slimy but I’m hoping that’s normal? I’m so proud of her I could cry!

• Sam
                        Participant

Update on Lady! She and Tramp are snuggling their condo and she’s laying sprawled out on her tummy again so clearly it must not hurt her as bad? She’s had a couple pieces of parsley and a couple pieces of cilantro, all by herself but definitely still needs to be syringe fed. Still not drinking on her own either, but she’s more active and definitely fiestier than yesterday! She’s also had some caecotroph poops, I think they’re called? I called my vet this am to see if it was normal but I still haven’t gotten a call back from her, as i was told she wouldn’t be in the office until this afternoon

• Tony's Mum
                          Participant
                          431 posts Send Private Message

Post stasis poops can be gross but they are a sight for sore eyes! I would keep up the cc and keep on doing what you’re doing, but it sounds like you’re making great progress ? one of mine has stasis now too so please know you aren’t alone at 2am feedings! Leave herbs and hay EVERYWHERE (some of the fancier hays you can get in petshops with dandelion or herbs in them can be even more appealing) and hopefully that will tempt her into picking at things by herself more. Pineapple really helps break down hair in the gut, but be careful how much you give as it has a lot of sugar. The skin and core are better than the fruit itself because it’s got added fibre too. Mine get a small half inch chunk each every day when moulting as a treat. I keep it frozen in little chunks so it defrosts really fast and I always have a bit on hand. It might be a good idea to replace the craisins with some pineapple for now if she’ll eat it. (((((Lady)))))

• Sam
                            Participant

@Tonysmom lol I actually cried happy tears the first time I saw her poop! Her first time eating veggies again I cried and filmed and sent to my husband (I am THAT parent whoops lol)
                              I am sending good vibes to you and your bunny, the waking up in the middle of the night is really rough! I wouldn’t wish it upon my worst enemy! I remember reading on day one “syringe feedings will get easier with time ” and I remember thinking there was no way that was possible, but it definitely is getting easier for me to do, which is good Cuz Lady is becoming more and more her sassy self. For her 6 am feeding I have Tramp some dandelion greens, hoping to tempt her Cuz i they’re her favorite and it worked! She pranced on over and ate like 5. So she got 2/3rds of a tbsp instead of a full one, in hopes she’d be hungry at 10, and as it turns out she ate some more greens and some hay and is now drinking water on her own and being more playful.
                              Again I’ll keep everyone posted, hopefully my next post will be that we are out of the woods. Thank everyone so much for all the help it has meant the world to Lady and I!

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Critical Care And Stasis