Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Covid on a Rabbit

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • LunaRosie
      Participant
      8 posts Send Private Message

Hi, my name is Sharlene and two days ago I tested positive for Covid and have mild symptoms. I was wondering if my rabbit could get it too since I’ve been in my room since I found out. I’ve looked up information but can’t find any about this topic. I don’t know if age has anything to do with this but she is 11 months old. I’m very scared for her since she and I are very close and she sleeps with me and cuddles all the time with me. So if you happen to know about this please let me know. Thank you in advance!

• Wick & Fable
        5771 posts Send Private Message

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/pets.html

Above is the link from the CDC with some general information about pets and Covid. It seems there have been some animals who have been ill as a result of Covid, but severe cases are currently rare.

I found some information from the VCA (https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/coronavirus-disease-covid19), which is specific to dogs and cats, but it seems that those that do contract Covid may show symptoms similar to humans — there doesn’t seem to be information about the specific treatment for animals if they have symptomatic Covid.

At this point, I’d monitor for any symptoms of illness, which can appear as lack of appetite, irregular poops, irregular lethargy in rabbits. Moving forward, I would minimize contact without washing hands and keep your face away until you are fully recovered from Covid.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• LunaRosie
            Participant

Okay, Thank you so much! Right now she is perfectly normal, she is eating well as well as pooping.

• Hazel
            Participant
            2587 posts Send Private Message

Fingers crossed your bunny will be fine, and you of course! I hope you will have a quick recovery and no lasting symptoms.

• LunaRosie
                Participant

Thank you so much! 🙂

• LBJ10
                16869 posts Send Private Message

It seems the potential is there, but there have been no documented cases in either wild or domestic rabbits. The reason they know the potential is there is through lab experiments… but it should also be noted that none of the test subjects actually exhibited symptoms. It was just shown that they were capable of shedding the virus.

Here’s what HRS has to say about it: https://rabbit.org/covid-19/

• LunaRosie
                    Participant

Thanks for the info! 🙂 At the moment she has not shown any symptoms at all, she’s completely normal.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Covid on a Rabbit