Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Could mold be the problem for Charlie?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • whispercalm
      Participant
      89 posts Send Private Message

We had an appt set up for this morning to have our air ducts cleaned. We’ve had some black dry dirt coming out from them recently and looking at some other registers I saw signs of possible mold on the metal grates. My husband and I have also been having some severe sinus issues last 4-5 weeks. I just came off antibiotic and still have drainage and congestion. My husband is on antibiotics.

We live in Florida, so humidity is a problem. Anyway, we thought cleaning the ducts might help all of us and especially Charlie with her URI.

We had to move a bed in guest room to grant access to a floor vent and were shocked to see mold on top  carpet and on the baseboard. When the tech got here he examined the registers and also our fan in furnace. He said it would be pointless for him to clean vents today as we have a mold problem which needs more extensive treatment. He will need to pull the fan and clean it and all the electrical wiring for mold. The air ducts will have to be treated with a product to kill the mold and then cleaned and sanitized. He has stuff he will use on the carpet around the vent and baseboard.

He is scheduled to come back Tuesday next week. Charlie and our little bird will have to be out of the house for probably around four hours. .

I am wondering if maybe this could be causing Charlie’s issues or aggravating it. What’s surprising to me is our little bird is perfectly fine and  bird are highly sensitive to airborne things. No aerosols, perfumes, Teflon, chemicals in air. Pip should be sick if this is what’s going on.

• whispercalm
        Participant

Also thought I should mention the guest room is upstairs and Charlie isn’t allowed upstairs. Although the dirt that was coming out of a ceiling register is downstairs. I put a filter in it for now to prevent more coming out. We’ve turned off air conditioning and opened windows. Fortunately the weather is cooler now.

We also just purchased a new area rug for our living room…mainly because of Charlie. It was getting old and we thought maybe dust mites or something could be bothering her. We haven’t brought it inside yet. Airing it out a couple days on the deck.

• Bam
          16877 posts Send Private Message

I do think mould could have contributed to Charlie’s problems. He is young, I dont know how old Pip is, but young animals are as a rule more sensitive due to their immune defense not yet being fully mature.

That said, longer courses of abx and combinations/change of types of abx during the course of treatment is not at all uncommon with rabbit sinus infections.

The problem with sinus infections is often that the infection causes the mucosa in the sinuses and nasal cavity to swell, thus narrowing the already narrow passages. This creates ideal conditions for bacteria to form biofilms, where some of the bacteria can go into a resting, “hibernating” state, while others keep diving. Most antibiotics target dividing bacteria, and won’t affect the dormant ones. So the dormant ones are spared,  while the actively dividing ones get killed off – and when the course of abx is over, some of the “sleepers” wake up and start to divide and the symptoms return.

This means you get a period when the animal seems fine for some time – and then you get a flare-up.

When we humans get a sinus infection, we can use corticosteroid nasal sprays to reduce the swelling of the sinus-and nasal mucosa. This is often very effective, so that we only rarely need to take antibiotics.  With rabbits, corticosteroids are unfortunately not an option. Corticosteroids should only ever be used in rabbits as a very last resort for life-threatening instances of inflammation, most commonly seen with really bad bouts of e cuniculi.

It is however very positive that you have identified a mould problem so you can deal with it properly. It will undoubtedly be of great benefit to the whole family.

• whispercalm
            Participant

I tried making a new topic, but  it doesn’t seem to be showing up in the forum. I am just really discouraged tonight. Charlie had a small series of sneezes and I found white mucous on tip her nose. I know this only day 2 of the new med. just seems like more sneezing today and I wasn’t expecting to see the thick discharge again. At least it’s better than the nasty yellow glob from a few days ago.

• DanaNM
              8935 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry you are going through so much trouble with her. Chronic illnesses in buns are so stressful and draining, so feel free to vent as much as needed here! You are doing a great job with her!

I don’t have too much to add but I do think the mold might have contributed, so hopefully the new meds and the mold clean-up will help. At the rescue I volunteer at we had a bunny come in with really bad respiratory illness and ringworm due to being housed next to an iguana 🙁 , so high humidity and molds can really do a number on bunny respiratory systems. She is doing better now but it has taken a long time, so don’t give up hope!

Perhaps adding a dehumidifier in her main area would help with her recovery? I’ve also seen some rabbits treated by nebulizer, so that might be something to ask your vet about.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10
                16908 posts Send Private Message

Yes, a nebulizer might help. That’s a good suggestion Dana.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Could mold be the problem for Charlie?