Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Cost of Neutering Bunnies ????

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author
    • mikos mom
      Participant
      25 posts Send Private Message

ok so i just contacted a vet and was really surprised at the cost of neutering my miko! i was wondering if this is the normal rate or if this is ott??

exam visit – $95

blood work – ( to determine if he is healthy enough to be neutered) $135

Neutering – $270

Total Cost – $500

Yikesss!!!! i’m a student and id have to save up for a while bc i have to pay my college tuition which is really expensive. i know this would be good for miko but are there any alternatives ??? because i feel horrible knowing he’s frustrated …. is this seriously the correct info ??? i need some advice or help for my miko!!

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

That is pricey – where do you live maybe we can help you find a more affordable vet in your area.

• mikos mom
          Participant

thank you i’d really appericate it. i have no idea where to start!   i live in staten island , new york

• COOKIE'N FLUFF MOMMA
            Participant
            182 posts Send Private Message

I WOULD TRY CALLING OTHER RABBIT SAVVY VETS IN YOUR AREA TOO COMPARE PRICES. THAT IS A LITTLE STEEP. I WAS CALLING AROUND MY AREA NOT TOO LONG AGO AND ONE PLACE TOLD ME $250 TOTAL COST ( PAIN MEDS INCLUDED) AND ANOTHER TOLD ME $150 TOTAL COST. BUT, IF THAT IS THE ONLY RABBIT SAVVY VET WHERE YOU LIVE, ITS WORTH THE MONEY

• Sarita
              Participant

http://www.rabbitcare.org/

Here is a link to the NYC chapter of the House Rabbit Society – they have a vet list and you can also contact Mary Cotter – her phone number is on the vet list to see if she has any ideas of the costs for neuters with these vets – she is also a great resource for all things rabbits – she is their chapter manager and I can tell you she knows alot of stuff.

• mikos mom
                Participant

thank youu soo much!!!! i’m going to give her a call because i desperately need help. lol plus he’s kinda driving me crazy hes obsessed with me & he’s spraying all over the place. i really appericate your help. i figured $500 was absolutely crazy!

• kralspace
                  Participant
                  2663 posts Send Private Message

Yikes! that is steep. You may have to spring for a stuffed toy to keep him *occupied* until you find a more affordable vet…(don’t laugh, both Toby and Simba made great use of their stuffies until their surgeries.

and they sure slept good at night……sorry, couldn’t help it.

Kathy

• Beka27
                    Participant
                    16016 posts Send Private Message

things are pretty pricey in New York as i understand. another option you might have is to drive somewhere further away (1-3 hours is not unreasonable) and it might save you half or more… there might also be low-cost spay/neuter places in your area.

it is absolutely worth it to have it done. he will be much happier, and you’ll have less to deal with behaviorally.

• skunklionshow
                      Participant
                      1257 posts Send Private Message

Definately start calling around.  Was that a Manhattan price?  Sorry I don’t know much about NY except for Manhattan….I’m wondering if it would be less expensive on Long Island or even Jersey.  I live in Philly, which overall has prices (for most things) pretty comparable to NY…which is dumb b/c it “ain’t no NY”!  Anyway, my neuter was about $90 for just the surgery & pain meds.  He got it done from his regular vet, so I didn’t have to pay for an exam, I also didn’t need to pay for bloodwork, b/c I got that done around his yearly exam.  W/ that you might be able to spread things out, depnding on your needs.  Keep us posted…we are Pro-neuter, but it sounds like you understand that & don’t need to be convinced.  I ditto the stunt sex bunny idea.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                        Participant
                        12067 posts Send Private Message

That’s pricey for sure, but it’s actually surprisingly pricey to get your rabbit spayed/neutered!

I was shocked, I knew you get a dog done for about 150 and cats get done for about 90, so I figured a bunny would be about 50 LOL BOY was I surprised! All said and done I paid about four hundred But sooo worth it!

• mikos mom
                          Participant

Was that a Manhattan price? 

that was actually a price in Staten Island, New York. Which is right over the bridge from jersey. i’m just so confused on where to even start lol i’ll be willing to do the driving as long as i know that my miko is going to be ok because they were telling me he might not even be able to get it because of his age and they have to do all this bloodwork

• Sarita
                            Participant

I would call Mary and speak with her.

How old is Miko?

• mikos mom
                              Participant
                                Posted By Sarita on 07/07/2008 2:12 PM
                                I would call Mary and speak with her.

How old is Miko?

yes i’m definitely going to tomorrow. i even emailed her as well.     Miko is 14 months

• Sarita
                                Participant

Oh, he’s adorable!

He’s definitely not too old to be neutered. I don’t think that vet is up on rabbits.

Keep us updated.

• mikos mom
                                  Participant

thank you!! i will definitely keep you all updated! wish us luck!!! me and miko are going to continue to look & hopefully mary can help us out!

• skunklionshow
                                    Participant

14 months is not very old.  Jessica & Leo were about 3 y.o when I had them done.  He should be fine.  Definately follow Sarita’s advice….she knows her bunny stuff!!!

• BBMommy
                                      Participant
                                      57 posts Send Private Message

It was about $260 for Brownie, and that is at the expensive vet around here…yeah, check around, and I second the idea of a stuffed toy! Worked for us too!

Kim

• Beka27
                                        Participant

i think i’ve heard 2-3 years is the oldest some vets will do… he is really not too old at all. she gave us the option, but i did not do bloodwork when we spayed our rabbit. is the vet saying you have to do it, or that it’s an optional thing?

• mikos mom
                                          Participant

thank you guys so much!!! i really appericate the info! i’m deff going to keep looking into things and hopefully things work out. i will keep you all posted on whats going on!! i did get in touch with Mary via email. and she gave me a number to a vet in long island so i’m going to give the vet a call tomorrow. granted its a long drive from where i live it’ll be worth it in the long run for miko! Miko say’s thanks for all the helpful info!!

• kralspace
                                            Participant

You won’t regret it, mikosmom,

I drove an almost 180 round trip to take my girl to Dallas to use the vet that the rabbit rescue uses and it was worth it knowing that the vet was so experienced and they took special care of her, gave me detailed instructions, called to check on her, etc. It was around $150, and that included 5 days worth of pain meds. In Waco, the cost would have been over $400 AND he didn’t do too many of them anymore because the arthritis in his hands was so bad.

Good luck and keep us posted,
                                              Kathy

• MooBunnay
                                              Participant
                                              3087 posts Send Private Message

I’m glad Sarita directed you to the house rabbit society – usually the local rescues or HRS chapters are the most up to date on the most inexpensive AND knowledgeable rabbits vets. I’ve had about 5 buns neutered and have never had a vet do blood work on them – it sounds like the vet that gave you that quote probably doesn’t work with rabbits too frequently.

Also, remember, if any vet tells you to FAST your bunny before surgery, don’t use them! Your bunny should be eating hay right up until he is put under for the surgery (now, if the receptionist tells you to fast the bunny, she might just be confusing rabbits with cats and dogs, but if its the vet, that is a big concern.)

• kralspace
                                                Participant

maybe it’s just me, but it seems the more I neuter and spay my bunnies, the more they multiply!

• Beka27
                                                  Participant

lol!!!!!!!!! ^^^

funny how that happens!

• mikos mom
                                                    Participant

ok soo i contacted Mary Cotter. She was of hugeeee help to me. She recommended a place and i gave them a call and its only $180 all together. i can afford that after a few paychecks saved up because of course i have to pay my tuition for school =*( .. but i’m soo happy i finally found  a place i could afford. thank you guy sooo much for all of your help… is it also true that he might have to spend a night at the vets??

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                      Participant
                                                      12067 posts Send Private Message

It depends, some vets like them to stay for observation; But I think it’s better for them to be at home in a comfortable environment where they can be stress free. You can simply request that you take them home even if it’s there policy

Some tips!
                                                        A) Make sure you get a painkiller to take home!! It’s very important
                                                        B) Make sure you don’t fast your bunny before surgery
                                                        C) Book your appt. for a friday that way you have all weekend to watch the recovery rather then worry while you’re at work/school!

• Sarita
                                                        Participant

Oh that’s great! I would call back and ask them if they require him to be there overnight.

If it’s a male, he may not need a painkiller – mine generally bounce back very quickly from a neuter.

I would take a bag of hay in when you take him to the vet so they can give it to him after the surgery.

If it were me I would book it at the beginning of the week so if you need to take him back during the week you can and also you will have the vet support during the week if needed.

Mary is an excellent resource for you in NYC – she is a board member for the national House Rabbit Society and she knows ALOT about rabbits.

• skunklionshow
                                                          Participant

I also recommend having some critical care and/or baby food on hand post surgery, just in case he doesn’t want to eat.  It’s my understanding that most rabbit vets prefer to have the rabbits go home post surgery, b/c most hospitals cannot accommodate intensive care/ observation during over nights.  W/ Leo I would have wanted him to stay overnight, b/c he has a tendency to not eat after anesthesia.  However, my vet said it was in his best interest for him to recup @ home under my watchful eyes.

• skunklionshow
                                                            Participant

One more thing…I usually leave the vet not just hay, but fresh veggies and tasty treats.  I like him to get some papaya or craisins as soon as he wakes up!

• mikos mom
                                                              Participant

ok thats so great to know. now say he doesnt eat after the neuter how do i feed him? sorry i’m full of questions. he’s like my child i love him so i’m a bit worried and nervous because he is my first rabbit so i don’t really know alot.

• skunklionshow
                                                                Participant

My vet nurse showed me how to do that when I bought Leo in for his first procedure…no wait maybe that was Jessica.  It’s likely that they will let you know that if you don’t notice that they are eating, pooping & peeing w/in 12 hours that you should contact your vet immediately.  Many people offer the tastiest veggies or foods post surgery to get them back to eating.  I also measure my food, so I can tell when things are off ASAP.  I also have a food scale to weigh them, so I can keep track of weight post surgery.  I usually ask the weight b/f surgery and use that as my base.  Some rabbits, respond to force feeding through a syringe.  My Leo prefers if I spoon feed him or just put some on a plate for him.

• mikos mom
                                                                  Participant

awwwwwwwwww. thats so cute! i really hope he’s ok through this process but i’m def going to do some more research and info before i do it. so if anyone has some more info for me i’d really appericate it! you all have been so helpful to me!!

Viewing 30 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Cost of Neutering Bunnies ????