Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Cookie is always hiding

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ert000
      Participant
      130 posts Send Private Message

Cookie had neutering on July 3rd and was pretty good up to 5 days, he trusted us. He got an eye infection 5 days after the operation and I have been giving him medication 4 times a day for 1 week, I give him medication with the reward system, he was afraid of that drug at first, but he is not afraid anymore. But he still doesn’t trust me, he’s always hiding when he’s free roaming around the house. He goes out whenever he wants, binky, runs, plays, then goes to the corners again and hides. I try not to pay attention to him, I try not to bother him. But now I’m so tired. Please help me 😢😢😢

I want to regain cookie’s trust, I’m careful but I don’t know what to do anymore, what should I do? 😐😐😐

Sometimes he comes near me, eats a trophy from my hand and licks my hand. However most of the time he still hides, he doesn’t trust me completely.😢😢

Cookie was very upset because I had to give drugs all the time and he was offended with me. 😢😢😢

Love for animals is the escape of human from human..

• Susanne
        Participant
        419 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry to hear he is hiding so much. When I got my Elmer neutered, he stopped following me and “courting” me. He also started sleeping more.  He was never the type to sit next to me on the couch or lay in bed with me though. He still liked to pet just as much though, so I think Cookie will return to his normal personality soon. I think he still may be holding a grudge but he’ll get over it, he just needs a little more time. Elmer also tends to hold grudges, if I clip his nails he’ll not come around me as much for a few days after. If I had to give him eye drops I’m sure he’d be upset for while.

• Ert000
            Participant

I think he is really offended with me. 😢😢I am really sad, I feel missing, we were like partners with Cookie, the bond between us was so strong. We slept on the sofa together, we watched TV, he would wait for me at the door even when I was in the bathroom, he would sit on the chair while I ate. Now I feel so lonely. 😢😢

Now I will never get close to him, I will always wait for him to come to me, right?

• DanaNM
            8935 posts Send Private Message

I think part of this is recovering from illness, and part is also just the transition that happens when bunnies grow up. Teenage buns transition from being babies that want to be cuddled all the time to being more independent. Many of the hormonal behaviors that can make a bunny obsessed with “courting” you also go away (which is a good thing in the long run). There are also hormonal fluctuations for a few weeks after neutering that can make bunnies pretty grumpy and unpredictable.

Whenever I’ve had a sick bunny, they are annoyed with me for a little while right after I have to give them meds, trim nails, etc, but then they are actually closer to me once they are recovered, so don’t lose hope. My buns always give me the bunny butt during molting (when I’m constantly pestering them for grooming) and after nail trims.

The best thing for gaining a bun’s trust is to pretend to ignore them. Spend time on the floor while they are running around, but don’t pay attention to them. So read a book, watch tv, play a game on your phone, etc. Even if the bun comes over, keep ignoring them. You can also hand feed his daily veggies and pellet ration, this helps a lot too!

I’m sure he’ll come around, don’t worry!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Ert000
                Participant

Thank you so much. ☺️ I did as you said and it really worked. 😁

Thank Allah! We started to go back to normal with Cookie. When he is next to me he no longer hides and sleeps next to me, watches TV with me and likes when I caress him, he lie with me. We are slowly starting to get back to normal. 😁😁😁

I I’ll always remember what you said about drugs. Thanks 🤗🤗

• Ert000
                Participant

We had a trust problem with Cookie after the surgery, now he trusts me again and is not afraid of me, he lets me caress him and sometimes sleeps with me.

But here’s the thing. Cookie wants to be alone more than before. He wants to be alone for half the day. Do you think this is due to hormonal changes after sterilization, or does he feel lonely and depressed?

Please share your thoughts, I need this. 😐😐

• Wick & Fable
                  5782 posts Send Private Message

What time is “half the day”? Rabbits typically sleep for the majority of the day naturally, so it may just align with Cookie’s sleep time.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Ert000
                      Participant

He used to usually sleep next to me, now he sleeps in his room. Also, he used to be with me in the house, now he usually hangs out alone in his room like a teenager. 😐😐

Viewing 4 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Cookie is always hiding