Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.ย  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.ย  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best.ย 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time.ย 

BUNNY 911 –ย If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?ย  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules.ย 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! ย Don’t have a vet? Check outย VET RESOURCESย 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited.ย The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.ย  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Cookie has a lung infection

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ert000
      Participant
      130 posts Send Private Message

Hello to everyone,

Cookie got lung infection ๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข I want to tell the events from the beginning.

1 month ago Cookie had sterilization surgery. Cookie couldn’t clean himself because he had a cone on his head and he got an eye infection. Then he got treatment for his eye for 10 days and he got better.

10 days ago Cookie started sneezing 1-2 times a day and when I noticed this, I took him to the vet immediately. The vet said that Cookie was healthy, he could sneeze due to mould.

7 days ago I saw white sticky bits inside Cookie’s eye and cleaned it up, again I took him to the vet immediately. The vet said the Cookie’s eye ducts were clogged. Cleared and we started using eye drops.

But Cookie had less energy during this time and wasn’t flopping, I kept watching him movements all the time.

Uesterday morning Cookie started making strange noises as if he had something in his throat. I took him to the emergency vet. The start of infection appeared in Cookie’s lungs. The duct obstruction in my son’s eyes turned out to be related to a lung infection(I’m the one who found this relationship and the reason, the vet doesn’t know that either). The vet only gave oral antibiotic medicine but I asked her to give antibiotic drops for his eyes as well but the vet said there was no need. The vet said that Cookie’s eyes are fine now, no duct obstruction. But since I don’t trust the vet very much, I question this idea. What do you think I should do?

Cookie sneezes 1-2 times a day, no nasal congestion, no respiratory distress. Only had sneezing and eye duct obstruction. His appetite is good and he eats but he doesn’t flop and binky. The diagnosis was made by taking a chest x-ray.

I went crazy when I heard this. I was suspicious for 10 days and took him to the vet constantly and they did not understand anything. Believe me, I am not exaggerating, I pay her a fortune for being the only veterinarian in Turkey who understands rodents. The vet himself is in a place like Beverly Hills in Turkey and I really pay her a lot of money, and I’m not a very rich person, I just do it for Cookie. There is no better vet in Turkey than this, we are disgraced with our money. I can say that the vet got my wrath yesterday, I was really angry.

Also, I’m so scared something will happen to him, I love him more than myself. ๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ขI will ask you something. Please tell me the truth. Cookie will recover and regain his health, right? Is Cookie at high risk of death? What I read about this infection scared me. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Also, do you think I should trash or wash Cookie’s chew toys, food and water bowls, litter box?

Love for animals is the escape of human from human..

• Bam
        16872 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry Cookie has a chest infection. Hopefully the oral antibiotics will help both the eyes and the chest.

A chest infection in a rabbit can need more than two weeks on antibiotics, but you should see improvement pretty soon. It seems you are seeing improvement. The bad breathing sounds are gone if I understand you correctly? And his eyes are better too?

The antibiotics most commonly used for respiratory infections in rabbitsย  are either Baytril (enrofloxacine) or Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole +trimetoprim).

A rabbit can recover from a chest infection. I had a bun that did, and he was a lot older than Cookie. He got Bactrim for 2 weeks.

• Ert000
            Participant

Cookie is now using Bactrim. Normally, there was no sound from the lungs of Cookie, yesterday, when we heard such a sound for the first time, we immediately went to the vet in 10 minutes. His eyes also seem to have improved for now. I think a few days Cookie will be better. ๐Ÿ˜

Now he’s going to start hating me again for drugging him. ๐Ÿ˜

• Bam

It was very wise of you to go to the vet when you noticed the breathing sounds! Hopefully he’ll recover now with the Bactrim.

I dont think you need to do extra cleaning of his stuff.

• Ert000
                Participant

I don’t know. I don’t feel comfortable. I’m thinking of repurchasing most of Cookie’s stuff. ๐Ÿ˜

• Wick & Fable
                5781 posts Send Private Message

I wouldn’t worry about repurchasing stuff. The likelihood that whatever bacteria caused the infection can survive on other surfaces outside a warm body is low, I feel. It is not typically recommended or even mentioned to dispose of things for respiratory infections.

I also wouldn’t worry about him hating you. I’ve given one of my rabbits loads of shots, antibiotics (it took 5 months of trying meds to cure my rabbit sneezes, haha), and skin treatments, and he still loves me. As long as you’re being nice to him outside medication time, your relationship will be fine.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Ert000
                    Participant

These thoughts put me at ease, thank you very much. โ˜บ๏ธ

We have a hate problem in every drug syndrome. Then it fixes. ๐Ÿ™„

• Ert000
                    Participant

I noticed something when Cookie lay on my chest. I heard the sound of breathing because my ear was too close to his nose and I didn’t like it. When I pressed my ear to Cookie’s nose, I heard Cookie’s breath sound like a little whistle. Is this normal, do rabbits normally make noises when they breathe, or is it because of their illness? Is cookie’s disease too advanced, the vet said it was in its infancy?

• Bam

It’s not normal, but the Bactrim needs at least 72 hours to make a difference. So its much too soon to say. You should treat with Bactrim for at least 2 weeks, but longer time might be needed.

My bun who had a lung infection got both Bactrim and terbutalin (pills for babies that I dissolved in water) to help him breathe. (Terbutalin is a broncodilator, i e it widens the air passages in the lungs so more oxygen can enter the lungs).

I agree with Wick that you shouldnt need to trash his things and buy everything new.

• Ert000
                          Participant

I just looked at terbutaline forensic drug and it is available in turkey. Now I asked the vet and she said it’s not necessary but I don’t believe the vet is even as knowledgeable as those on this forum, frankly I don’t trust her but I have no choice but her. Do you think I should buy and use this drug, what would your suggestion be?

Frankly I doubt that antibiotics alone are enough. Because I have asthma myself and when I get sick I breathe just like Cookie. Then my doctor not only gives me antibiotics but also treats me with bronchial relaxants.

What is your personal opinion? And what would you do?

• LBJ10
                          16899 posts Send Private Message

A slight whistle when he breathes may not warrant the terbutalin. I would think you would only use that if he was having trouble breathing. If he doesn’t seem distressed or having a hard time breathing, then it should be OK to wait to see if the antibiotic is working. As Bam said, it can take a few days.

• Ert000
                              Participant

Yes, Normally Cookie looks good, energy, eating, drinking, pooping looks good.

It’s here at 9:00am right now. The sound seems to have decreased more when breathing today. I will continue to watch a little more.

• Ert000
                              Participant

I summarized the status of Cookie. Cookie had an eye infection 1 month ago and got better. 1 week ago it started as a white blob in his eye, then he got a lung infection.

Since the weather is very hot in Turkey, Cookie started using a fan for 1 month. Cookie loved his fan, he always slept in front of it. Do you think Cookie’s chest infection is caused by the fan or something else?

If it’s from the fan I feel guilty for buying him a fan. I’ve never given him a fan since he got sick, and I don’t think I will ever again. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Viewing 7 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Cookie has a lung infection