Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Considering free-roam at night…?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • DanaNM
      8930 posts Send Private Message

Hey everyone!

So we (like everyone) have been home pretty much 24/7 lately. So far Myra is a perfect angel lol. Neither she nor Bun Jovi chew the carpet, which was the major reason why I haven’t been able to have free-roam buns before (Bertha was a major chewer).

Myra and BJ DO however, love to run around like crazy buns at night in their condo (which is next to our bed… because studio apartment).

I’m considering letting them just stay out at night…. but still have yet to take the plunge! I will still prob pen them when we aren’t home because we have a cat. Since we are all in one room at night I don’t worry about him then because I hear any commotion.

What do you guys think?? Should I go for it? Any downsides you can think of? Sometimes I have fallen asleep while they were still out, and have woken up to them running around binkying, so I get the sense they would like it! 🙂

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• splotchesthebun
        Participant
        16 posts Send Private Message

I think that you should go for it!

• Wick & Fable
          5781 posts Send Private Message

So neither Wick nor Fable can be free-roam without supervision anymore (Fable will never be able too; too much carpet and wood chewing… Wick recently adopted carpet pulling over this pandemic so he needs to be pen’d too, ah!), and I understand the want to give them that time! When I’m up very late and Fable is out, she does so many zoomies that she definitely cannot do when she’s in the split pen with Wick at night.

I think, based on their record of good behavior, I’d try it! I would be extra cautious in how you arrange that space though before going to bed, so extra clearing tables, tucking in things, blocking things, etc..

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Hazel
            Participant
            2587 posts Send Private Message

I’d say go for it. Good point from Wick about double checking everything before going to sleep.

Also, when you get up in the mornings make sure to act like they weren’t supposed to be out all night, that will make it 100x more fun for them. 😆

• DanaNM

“Also, when you get up in the mornings make sure to act like they weren’t supposed to be out all night, that will make it 100x more fun for them. 😆”

@Hazel
                Hahah! Love that!  I’ll give it a shot and report on how it goes!

And @Wick, “Wick recently adopted carpet pulling over this pandemic so he needs to be pen’d too, ah”

That stinker! I swear they teach each other how to get into mischief. Bunston was a carpet digger, and taught Bertha! I think they were working on their burrow together lol. Thankfully I had my carpet strategy pretty much sorted by the time I bonded Bertha with Bun Jovi so BJ never picked it up.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• DanaNM

I left them out last night and everything seems fine?

Not sure it was any quieter though, they woke me up a few times running around! But I think I am more used to the sound of them running in the condo so I just tune it out, and will prob get used to this too.

Hard to say if my cat was giving them a hard time at any point. At one point I heard a commotion but he was just sitting there, so I think it was fine?

I will see how Myra does. She tends to appreciate the safety of her condo, so she might be happier having it closed at night. We shall see!

• Hazel
                  Participant
                  2587 posts Send Private Message

Sounds like a success so far. 🙂

Mosby is also very good at getting into something and by the time I walk in the room he just sits there looking at me like “What is it mom…?” Those cats… 😆

• DanaNM

All good again last night!

• Wick & Fable
                      5781 posts Send Private Message

Great to hear! I’d definitely stay somewhat vigilant for a while longer until they truly realize it’s a new part of the routine haha.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM

@Wick haha yes for sure! It’s hard not to be vigilant when we are all in one room! I hear everything, for better or worse. 🙄

The only thing I don’t like so far is they are less excited to come out and play in the morning (because they’ve already been out), so I feel like I’ve actually been interacting with them less. Usually mornings I sit and have my coffee on the ground with them, but by then they are already snoozing in their condo for the day. We’ll see how it goes as everyone adjusts to the routine though. Interestingly today they have been more active mid-day, so maybe we will all just shift around our play time a bit. 🙂

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Considering free-roam at night…?