Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Companion Wanted?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    • Isabelle
      Participant
      468 posts Send Private Message

I’m wondering what the signs are that a bunny wants a playmate? I took a bunny basics class last night and the leader thought that Dutchess might want another bunny because of her social interactions with me, i.e. galloping over when I sit/lay down on the floor with her and licking me everywhere. Are there any signs or personality types that do/don’t do well with bonding?

• Deleted User
        Participant
        22064 posts Send Private Message

The sign would be if you didn’t have enough time to be her companion and to interact with her. In terms of bonding, it can be very hard, but if your shelter has bunny basics classes they must also offer bunny-dating. You could look into that if you want a second rabbit.

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

It sounds like she is very bonded with you, which is fantastic! If you enjoy spending time with her and feel you can provide enough interaction, she really does not need a mate. Rabbits in pairs spend most or all their time together, so if you did bond her, you might end up missing her attachment to you. Think very carefully before proceeding and adopting a second bunny.

• LoveChaCha
            Participant
            6634 posts Send Private Message

That is what I am feeling. If you are fine with your bunny being social with you and you LOVE the attention, keep her as single

My bunny is single as well. I think id be jealous if she had a friend. She commands my attention: knocking down my drinks if I’m not petting her :0

Good luck

All rabbit personalities are differn. They may be different when they interact with other rabbits!

• Monkeybun
              Participant
              10479 posts Send Private Message

I know my Smudge wants a bunny to love. She gets a little down when no one is around. She is a very social bun.

Monkey I know wants a friend too. She was very good with Moose, clearly wanted to be his snuggle bun, but he wasn’t into it.

Moose doesn’t seem to be in a rush to get a buddy

• LoveChaCha
                Participant
                6634 posts Send Private Message

Moosie is a big boy

How can you tell Smudgie is social?

• Monkeybun
                  Participant
                  10479 posts Send Private Message

She loves having us in the room, gets excited when we are nearby. She runs to us instantly, loves to be groomed. She is much more active when we are around.

• mocha200
                    Participant
                    4486 posts Send Private Message

My bunny ( who is a dutch) was very social before she was bonded loved to be pet and licks me and she is bonded now and it hasn’t made a difference she still loves for me to pet her and still licks me.

• Elrohwen
                      Participant
                      7318 posts Send Private Message

In my opinion, the bunnies who want friends are the ones who are hyperactive and destructive – they need something to keep their attention and people just aren’t cutting it. If your bunny is happy hanging out with you and seems content, I don’t think that is a sign she needs a friend at all. She’s bonded with you and is getting all of the interaction she needs from you. The decision to get a second bunny should be because you really want one – not because you think she absolutely needs a friend, because it doesn’t sound like she’s unhappy.

I’ll share Hannah’s story. I got her from an owner who didn’t have time for her anymore. When I got her, she was extremely hyper and could spend hours a day shredding and running in circles. She also had a stuffed toy that she would groom and carry around the cage with her before snuggling up with it. I think she needed a friend – someone to spend time with instead of taking out her energy being destructive or anxious, and the grooming and snuggling behavior with a toy was another sign.  When I put her with Otto, she was a little overeager and humpy, but she was obviously very very interested in him. He mostly ignored her, but she just wanted to be with him. Even after their bond solidified, it took her months to be in a room without him (now she’ll happily choose a different room from him to lay down in).

Otto, on the other hand, liked to be with us, and would run up to us, but was otherwise extremely calm and well behaved. I don’t think anything in his behavior indicated that he wanted a friend – he was happy being on his own and having his people. We decided we wanted another bunny anyway and it turns out he got along well with everybun we put him with during dates, but I don’t think he is happier or different for having a friend. I see a big change in Hannah though and see is much calmer and more confident now. She loves having a buddy!

• angelicvampyre
                        Participant
                        754 posts Send Private Message

I have three, Bugz and Anya are bonded and love spending time with each other and don’t really have any time for me. Rufus on the other hand HATES any and all other rabbits and can’t stand spending time with them and wants to be with me or pretty much any human, however he does like my cat and they spend a large amount of time together and that seems to hold him over while I am at work. So I guess it comes back to the rabbit. Bugz was never really bonded with me when he was by himself and bonded in two seconds with Anya (who was a foster) which is why I kept her.

• Isabelle
                          Participant

Thanks for the tips and stories. I have been home with her since I adopted her four months ago. I had a full time job for a month that didn’t work out, and Dutchess seemed very upset that I wasn’t home with her during that time. (I personally would love a house full of animals, so that isn’t an issue at all.) I am back home with her, but I will have to find another job soon, and I’m thinking in the long run she will probably want a companion during the day and night when I’m working and sleeping. I’ve been reading up and looking at the bonding process, and it would seem that as you all have said, it would take a lot of time and patience, and careful selection. So I think right now I’ll just keep my eyes open and see if she’ll transition better when I do find a job, since she’ll be a little older and more settled in the house. ^_^ I definately want more buns in my life, I just want to make sure everything goes smoothly and I don’t push her or me into things too fast.

• Beka27
                            Participant

I understand. In that case, it makes sense that you’d want to get her a companion, and there’s no problem with getting a second because YOU want a second, but there is always that chance that the bonding will not work out. You’ve been on this site long enough to have read many of the bonding horror stories. If you’re financially prepared without having a job right now, you might consider doing the bonding work before you start a new job, when you have more free time.

• Elrohwen
                              Participant
                              7318 posts Send Private Message

I agree with Beka. We got our second while I was unemployed and it was the best decision we could’ve made. I would absolutely not have had time to bond them if I had waited until I started working full time. If I had started back to work with only one rabbit, I think Otto would have stayed an only bun for quite a while. Devoting 1, 2, and then up to 4 hours a night to bonding for months at a time is a lot, but not so bad when you’re sitting at home and not working. I also spent quite a few nights sleeping on the couch to be near them which means I hardly slept at all – also would’ve been a bad situation if I had been working.

So not saying you should get one now if you’re not ready and you don’t feel like she needs a friend, but I wanted to give you something to consider.

• Isabelle
                                Participant

I do have a little part-time job 12 hours a month and I babysit a lot, so financially another bun would be fine for me (I still live with my parents). I graduated college last May, so that’s why I’m trying to find a job. I was thinking now would be a good time for me to bond her since I have the time, but I’m not sure my parents would go for another bunny, it took me my whole life to finally let them say yes to me getting a pet. Thanks for the advice, I think I’ll need to talk it over with my parents, and maybe see what happens in a few months if I get a job. Dutchess basically is my social life right now, so I think I would have time to bond the bunnies if I got a full time job. We’ll see what happens, I’ll keep you all updated if I do get another one Definately know I won’t just jump into it.

• Beka27
                                  Participant

And if you’ll possible be moving out on your own at some point in the next year, you might be better off with only one bun… It’s easier to talk a landlord into “just one little caged bunny”… LOL…

There are definitely pros and cons to both scenarios. I kept Meadow as a single bun for about the first year, and I loved it just being the two of us. We had a very special bond before Max came. The good thing is you can always decide to get another. According to your sig, she isn’t yet a year old, you might decide to bond her at 2 years, 3 years, etc… It’s never too late.

• Isabelle
                                    Participant

That’s a good point Beka, but my mom and I are pretty close so I highly doubt a move out will occur in the next year . . perhaps in a decade, LOL! but you never know. She’ll be nine months in a few days, so as you said there’s plenty of time to get another bun. Lots of food for thought ^_^

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Companion Wanted?