Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Colin’s abscesses Part 2. Is this drug safe for rabbits???

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • colinbessiemummy
      Participant
      9 posts Send Private Message

Thanks again to everyone for your advice. The Hong Kong House Rabbit Society contacts have been super helpful.

Colin went to the vet on Saturday and had his teeth checked under anaesthetic. The vet said the problem isn’t with his teeth, it’s an infection in his nose. He said to go ahead with the antibiotic suggested by the UK vet – 5ml oral Baytril, twice daily, per kg of rabbit. Colin is a big boy of 3.52 kg so that obviously works out at 15ml twice daily.

I got a Chinese translation for Baytril (or Enrofloxacin) from Rosaline, one of the Hong Kong contacts. The vet said I could get this medicineat any large pharmacy – he didn’t have any at the clinic. The nearest thing I could find, after trying five pharmacies and phoning up a vet at the agricultural university, was a packet of 100mg Levofloxacin Hydrochloride tablets. I strongly suspect these are not suitable for rabbits at all. I would have to cut them very carefully and syringe feed them I guess.

Two vets here in China have given the go-ahead but I don’t know. Can anyone advise???

Colin is otherwise in fine form and the abscess doesn’t seem to be bothering him…

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Apparently this is not a drug that is used much at all in the US so I cannot help you with this. I would email Rosaline and ask her about this though because I bet she can tell you. I do know enroflaxin (baytril) is safe and widely used though.

• kralspace
          Participant
          2663 posts Send Private Message

That’s what my vet gave me yesterday for Simba’s abscess, baytril, some probiocin to give my mouth and the entederm ointment to put on it.

• Sarita
            Participant

I think he can only find the Levroflaxin not the Enroflaxin (baytril) which is why I think he should contact Rosaline the HRS contact in Hong Kong to see what she says.

• KatnipCrzy
              Participant
              2981 posts Send Private Message

I have done some checking in the textbooks I have here at home and also formularies and textbooks at work (vet clinic) and I can not find a reference for using this med in animals at all.  From what I have read on the internet- it is in the same “class” as Baytril/ enrofloxacin- but is a different drug- some of the warnings for humans are pretty scary and I have seen no reference to using in animals.

I guess the best thing would be to try to find out what they use in rabbits in that part of the world.  If rabbits are available for sale- there must be some antibiotic that can be used for them even if it has to be modified for use with a bunny- splitting pills, getting liquid medicine specially made by a pharmacist.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                Participant
                12067 posts Send Private Message

Looks like it’s also sold as Quinolin which IS a rabbit safe medication-Katnip and Sarita, can you take a look at this link and tell me what you think? From my lookover of it-Id say its’ fine-I think it’s quinolin which in rabbit health in the 21st century is a rabbit safe med

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levofloxacin

• Sarita
                  Participant

Not sure – I think that’s a class of drugs – I emailed another list that I am on with Kathy and other rescuers to see if they know – hopefully he has contacted Rosaline too in Hong Kong.

• peepi&warri
                    Participant
                    238 posts Send Private Message

It looks like there have been studies done where they use levofloxacin in rabbits for up to 28 days. They’re not testing it for safety in rabbits, so I don’t know the long term effects it could have. But if all the rabbits in these studies can make it 28 days, it can’t be extremely toxic.

http://jac.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/48/2/253

• Sarita
                      Participant

I’m not sure if you’ve gotten some answers on the drug you posted but Kathy Smith also suggested ciproflaxin and marboflaxin which have also been used safely to treat rabbits – I have used ciproflaxin before on one of my rabbits. Those drugs are in the same class as the enroflaxin and levoflaxin. She says she’s not sure about the levoflaxin but has no reason to believe it is not okay but no personal experience with this drug.

• colinbessiemummy
                        Participant
                        9 posts Send Private Message

Thank you all so much for your research on Levofloxacin. I’ve been trying too, and come to much the same conclusions i.e. that it is the same class of drug, a fluoroquinolone; that it is not commonly used to treat animals; and that it doesn’t seem to be toxic when tested on rabbits. I was holding out because I thought I might be able to get hold of some Baytril but no such luck. Colin’s abscesses look to be getting sorer so I think I’m going to give this medication a go, crushing the tablets and syringe-feeding 15mg twice a day. Two vets here have given the go-ahead but like I say, neither of them is particularly rabbit-savvy.

It’s got to be better than nothing at this stage…

Thanks again

Ali

• Sarita
                          Participant

Please keep us updated on Colin’s abscesses. It has to be frustrating not having access to medications that you need to treat him.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                            Participant
                            12067 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for the update! {{Colin}} Yes, please keep us updated!

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Colin’s abscesses Part 2. Is this drug safe for rabbits???