Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Coccidiosis disinfecting

• This topic has 3sd replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by melissa605.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • melissa605
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

Hi I lost a rabbit to coccidiosis about two months ago. I am a new bunny owner and didn’t realize she was sick(she most likely had it before I even got her). Sadly, even with multiple vet visits and rounds of albon she didn’t make it. Since then I have done a lot of research on coccidia and rabbit health. everything I’ve read has said that the only thing that kills it is 10% ammonia or extreme heat. The problem is, I do want to get another rabbit in the near future, but I’m at a loss of how to make sure my entire house is decontaminated and won’t get my new rabbit sick. Will steam cleaning all my rugs work? It’s not like I can just dump 10% ammonia all over my floors.

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

I’m very sorry to hear about your loss. The fact that you’re expressing concern for a potential future rabbit really shows how caring you must have been when she was with you, and I’m sure she really appreciated and loved that.

My understanding is coccidia is really facilitated, maintained, and thriving in rabbit feces. Outside of a rabbit’s body/fecal environment, the parasite shouldn’t be able to live long, I would think…. that’s the main fact to be checked. Moist areas are always more likely to harbor and allow bacteria/parasites to thrive, so places that were rarely in contact with your rabbit and are generally dry are likely not risky and don’t need to be addressed. I think cleaning the areas/items that you know definitely have high chance of fecal residue, like litter boxes, water bowls, favorite rugs/spots where she may have eaten her cecotropes… these are places that should be attended to. Outside of that, I don’t think it’s necessary.

Again, that’s my initial, un-educated thoughts. Definitely curious about other’s thoughts and experiences.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• LBJ10
          16898 posts Send Private Message

The oocysts can persist in the soil for a long time. As for indoors and on hard/dry surfaces, I don’t think they survive very long because the conditions are not ideal for that. From what I’ve read, they die off in a matter of days. I think Wick is correct. Clean everything thoroughly just to be on the safe side, but it should be OK.

• melissa605
            Participant
            2 posts Send Private Message

Alright thank you both so much! This makes me feel a bit better because Ive read so many different articles about this online that at this point I’m just stressing myself out. My plan is to steam clean the carpet in the room she was kept in and sanitize my x-pen and anything else she came in contact with 10% ammonia just to be cautious.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Coccidiosis disinfecting