Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Clump of poop stuck to bunny’s bottom

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lia
      Participant
      23 posts Send Private Message

I went in to check on my rabbit and noticed there was a clump of wet poop next to her litterbox. I checked her bottom and she had a bunch of it stuck there in her hair. She also left those clumped poops during playtime yesterday. Her regular poops look normal. She’s only 12 weeks old so I’m feeding her hay and some kind of grain as pellets, I’m not sure what it is I got it from her breeder, he lives on a farm. That’s what she’s been eating before and I didn’t want to change her diet too drastically. My mom gave her some of those stick treats and some apple when I wasn’t around, I’m not sure how much but I’m wondering if that was too much sugar for her. Also, what would be the best way to clean her up?

• Lia
        Participant
        23 posts Send Private Message

Update:

I changed her litter box and I’ve been watching her. She doesn’t make normal poops she only makes those soft ones. They look like the poops bunnies eat, they’re round and clumped together but they’re soft. Could she have diarrhea? She seems normal she’s running around and playing.

• Wick & Fable
          5782 posts Send Private Message

Hopefully, changing her diet will resolve the wet poo issue — if not, then you need to take your rabbit to a rabbit-experienced exotic vet: https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Choosing_a_rabbit_veterinarian#Rabbit_veterinarian_listings … rabbits cannot go to ordinary dog/cat veterinarians.

The poop is likely due to an improper diet. A 12wo should not be getting stick treats nor apples– at this age, your rabbit’s stomach is developing and can only handle certain foods. Tell your mom to wait until your rabbit is 4-6 months old before trying those foods, and if she is, they should be given in small portions over time so your rabbit’s stomach has a chance to adjust to the new food. Small, slow introductions are needed when introducing any new food to a rabbit’s diet.

Right now, your rabbit’s diet should only be rabbit-appropriate hay and good quality pellets. The grain pellets need to be switched out (transition over time) to something healthier. See here for guidance on what pellets are good: https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Pellets#What_different_types_of_pellets_are_there.3F … remember you need to transition your rabbit off the old and into the new pellets, so mix the two and gradually add more new and less old over time.

Please see here for proper information on your rabbit’s diet based on age: https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Diet#Age

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• LBJ10
            16908 posts Send Private Message

I agree, this is likely an overproduction of cecotropes due to improper diet. Avoid sugary treats until your bunny is older. And yes, it’s s good idea to switch her to a healthier pellet… even if they aren’t the source of the problem, they are not good for her in the longterm.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Clump of poop stuck to bunny’s bottom