Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Clostridium

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • daisy
      Participant
      50 posts Send Private Message

I was just reading about clostridium bacteria causing problems in rabbit, and some of you know I have had problems with Daisy’s poop. I read the poop would be more mucousy, how can you tell that if it is already messed up? Is it very obvious? Also for hairballs, I read in a book to buy Petromalt for cats and its the same for rabbits is this true?

• Bunnies4ever
        Participant
        368 posts Send Private Message

I’m not sure about clostridium bacteria, but I do know about Petromalt. I read in a bunny book that it’s safe for rabbits and it’s one of the items you should have in your emergency kit. Since I have two long-haired rabbits, I give them a 1 inch ribbon of petromalt every two weeks to keep them regular. I always checks their poops and they are fine. They love the flavor and lick it off my fingers!

If you do decide to start giving your bunsPetromalt, you can start with just a dot on your finger.

• daisy
          Participant

Thanks, I bought some today but wanted to double cehck before I gave it to her.

• wendyzski
            Participant
            1312 posts Send Private Message

I’ve actually seen some reports that Petromalt might actually NOT be a good idea for rabbits.  If there is a blockage, the coating could very well keep the clump from absorbing moisture which would make it easier to get it moving again.  Vets seem kind of divided on the issue as of now.

• BinkyBunny
              8776 posts Send Private Message

Just to clarify, these are not the ceceotropes? Right? the ones they are supposed to eat? Is it just a big sludgy smelly gob? If so, then it can mean a few things – 1. The overgrowth in bacteria you talking about. 2. The bunny is overweight 3. Stress 4. An underlying health issue.

If it’s due to diet, then sometimes it can take time for it to get better, even when you change to a better diet.

Here are some guidelines on what your bunny should be getting. http://rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html Be sure to pay attention to the section where it shows what should be fed at what ages.

You can also see what helped in Bailey’s case on the diet page of this site  (Note: Bailey now gets poopy butt only because of her spine, and the weakness in her back legs due to e.cuniculi – she can’t clean herself completely.)

Regarding Petromalt: I have heard both sides when it comes to petromalt/laxatone, but I know that SaveABunny has used it and I have as well, WITH the caution in mind, noting that if it did not help or improve things rather quickly that medical care would be needed asap for continued GI stasis.

• daisy
                Participant

BinkyBunny I think I posted this somewhere but not sure exactly where, I think I have discovered Daisy’s problem. I have changed her pellets to a minimum of 25% and I have noticed her eating the cecal pellets and then dropping them out of her mouth and not eating them anymore. This is an everyday thing though, She acts fine and is eating by the requirements except she has all timothy hay instead of alfalfa because it makes her poopybutt worse. I haven’t had to clean her butt in probably a month but I find these long strands of poop everyday in her cage.  It would be nice if these were gone completely, is it possible for rabbits to produce too many cecal pellets?

• BinkyBunny
                  8776 posts Send Private Message

Yes, it is possible to for them to produce too many cecal pellets, and it is usually diet related. HOWEVER, if you have changed her diet, it can actually take up to a month or longer for her system to correct itself, so just because you are seeing some leftover stuff extra now doesn’t necessarily mean there is anything currently wrong with her diet. If she is still like this in a few weeks, then we can try and see what’s going on.

When you say long strands of poop, do you mean like attached to hair/string? Like a poo necklace? (nice, I know) Or just long globs?

• daisy
                    Participant

Its not attached with fur or string sometimes I see a little bit of fur but I think that is from her sitting on it. It is like a poo necklace but sometimes I think the beads on the poo necklace get smeared together. If that makes any sense

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Clostridium