Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Clipping dew claw trouble

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Wilburbunny
      Participant
      72 posts Send Private Message

Hello! I’m having a lot of trouble clipping Wilburs dew claw nail. It’s so tiny and tucked away but really sharp, pointy and long. Since he’s a lop his paw-fur is really long and I have hard enough of a time clipping his other nails, the dew claw just gets covered up! Is it bad if this nail isn’t clipped? I know if the back foot nails aren’t cut they can cause sore hocks but is anything affect by the dew claw? Any advice?

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

The dew claw does need to be clipped, as it will continue to grow like any other nail. At long lengths, it may grow into a spiral (making it difficult to clip and a hazard for the rabbit in navigating the environment safely; similar to a regular nail), and it may begin growing towards/into the paw if not addressed.

Similar to finding out “the way” to clip your rabbit’s other nails, you may need to do some trial and error to figure out how to address the dew claw specifically. I clip it in a different manner/hold than the other front nails of my rabbits. I let the paw dangle while holding the rabbit standing on its hindlegs and use one spare finger to rest the dangling paw for stability, then clip it there. For another rabbit, someone holds the rabbit and I just go on a search for an opening where it’s exposed or I can get it to be and the stress of being carried makes her freeze and allows me to clip it.

That being said, I very commonly clip the dewclaw every other or every 2 nail clipping sessions. It can help for it to be a bit longer, and it is generally a shorter nail. It takes a while for it to grow to a problematic length, so if it looks fine, you can wait a month and revisit.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Wilburbunny
          Participant

Ok thanks, I’ll keep trying

• amyef2000
            Participant
            12 posts Send Private Message

One method I’ve seen to help find the claws in long fur is using a piece of mesh or lace the claw can go through but surrounding fur is pushed back by. Never tried myself as my buns don’t have long fur but might be worth a go!

• Wilburbunny
              Participant

That’s a cool method, never heard of that before! Thanks!

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Clipping dew claw trouble