Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE clipping dark nails

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Annie Fann
      Participant
      83 posts Send Private Message

I clip my bunnies nails myself since they don’t struggle much (i just need to hold them down on the bed), but I can never figure out how much to clip with the dark nails.   Luna’s are all dark, Nova’s are dark only his feet (which seems odd =T).  I read you can use a flashlight, but its hard enough to hold a bunny and nail clippers.  How am I going to hold a flashlight?  I don’t have anyone to help me, so I have to do this by myself.  I’m afraid to clip too much so I end up clipping too little. which is better i guess but I’d like them to grow back as slowly as possible. saves me from being accidently scratched as well when they decide to paw at me because they’re hungry or want attention.  Does anyone have a method for doing this?  How do you all clip the right amount of nail?

Also, do bunny teeth need maintenence? They have plenty of stuff to chew on.  How do you know if their teeth have problems? They’ve had vet visits and are fine, but should I be looking at their teeth?  Luna seems to have very strong teeth as she’ll sink her little teeth into anything and if she can lift it, she’ll chuck it across the floor (including her ceramic dish!).  My friend was flabbergasted that bunnies "throw things".  You should see her, she’s like a champion discus thrower. OK I’m getting a little off subject here. =P

nail clipping tips appreciated! thanks!

11233378271.jpg

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

With one light and one dark bunny myself I’ve noticed that with my two, their nails grow at the same rate (or very clsoe) and I use Daffodil’s (the white bunny) nails to gauge how much of the dark nails on Bonsai to clip. Another method is to clip very thin slivers very slowly, when you get close to the quick (nerve) the bunny will flinch and that is where you stop cutting.

• babybunsmum
          Participant
          3896 posts Send Private Message

i have to clip baby bun’s nails all on my own too… i regularily wish i had a third hand!  good thing her nails are all clear or i’d be in trouble.  since you’re able to do this on your bed, i’m wondering if you could ‘prop’ a flashlight strategically in a rolled up towel so that you could hold up the dark nails?  i’ve never tried this myself, but maybe it’d work?

• babybunsmum
            Participant
            3896 posts Send Private Message

ps…  champion discus thrower… lol.  i can picture it.  baby bun could be on the same olympic bunny team

• Sarita
              Participant
              18851 posts Send Private Message

I agree with Scarlet Rose on the nail cutting. Just do it very carefully. Sometimes I’ll clip a small amount one week and go back the next week to clip a little more since they nail quick recedes a little at each clipping.

Adorable bun – love the little white dot on his nose too.

As for teeth – there probably isn’t any way that you yourself can check since the vet will use his otoscope to really check. But some signs that could possibly be teeth problems are runny eyes, stops eating pellets or greens as usual or will pick up the food and just drop it instead of eating it…those are two that seem the most common. If you take your bun in for his yearly exam the vet should be checking his teeth at that time too.

• LittlePuffyTail
                18092 posts Send Private Message

I too have a dark nailed bunny and his nails are trimmed frequently but are always on the longer side since I’m so paranoid about cutting the quick. I figure as long as the nails aren’t making him uncomftorable it’s okay for them to be a bit longer. Sometimes he starts to look like Freddy Kruger and then I just do a little bit every day until they are half decently short.

• Thumpers_Mom
                  Participant
                  171 posts Send Private Message

LOL LPT…Freddy Kruger!

Thumper has a few dark nails too. I also do the nail clipping by myself. Actually, I’ve only done it once last week! LOL I took notes from when the vet did it. I think that if you cut them every couple of months (if the nails don’t grow at too fast a rate), you shouldn’t worry about cutting too much off. Just trim the tip a bit.

Good luck!

• Annie Fann
                    Participant
                    83 posts Send Private Message

thanks for all the advice! I just clipped both buns’ nails today and it went smoothly. They seem to be getting used to it, but they still hate it as evident by all the bunnybutts i get afterwards. oh well i guess they’ll never end up liking it, but they come around after i give them treats for being good. I put a towel on the bed and piled a blanket around it for bunny to rest against while i clipped. I tucked the flashlight into the blanket to hold it in place. Its kind of funny to see the bunnies squint when the light is in their eyes. I was able to get it done quickly and without too much protesting from the little furballs.

babybunsmum, i can picture a bunny track team in a decathlon lol.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE clipping dark nails