Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Cleaning question

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • Tami
      Participant
      163 posts Send Private Message

I caught a nasty cold from hubby & feel like total crap right now, so please forgive me if I haven’t responded to answers from other questions I’ve asked………*sniffe*  (I really hate this)

Ok, so last evening we let the bunns out for their evening romp & as you know, Sid has been charging and biting Doug, my hubby, when he tries to clean up his pees & poops.  Well last evening he was very good and didn’t do that but we had to really keep on him with me armed with the broom & water bottle & hubby with the dustpan & brush, LOL, (what a sight !) trying to keep him away from where Mopsey was and peed all over the place, so he decides to go back out into the living room and crawl into the Willow Tunnel we got from Binky Bunny.

He stayed in the tunnel for a few minutes & all of a sudden there was a massive flooding of pee coming out from under the tunnel !!!  Oh my…….it was a mess !  Now that tunnel needs cleaned because all our other bunns use it and I don’t want them to be going and doing their "business" in there, too !

So how do I clean that willow tunnel to get the smell out ?  I don’t want to ruin it because all the bunns just love it to death !

I need to get another spray bottle to make the vinegar & water solution to clean up after all the pees they’ve left…..*sigh*  What ratio do you all use for that, btw ?  Thank goodness we don’t have any carpeting in the house or I’d have a real mess on my hands !

Thanks so much for all your help.  I’m going to go lay down for a little bit because my head feels like it’s going to explode *sniffle*

Blessings,

Tami

• babybunsmum
        Participant
        3896 posts Send Private Message

ick… sorry to hear you’re under the weather tami… hope you feel better soon!

i use 50/50 water to vinegar ratio (& add in drops of eucalyptis for a fresh smell) with success for cleaning.  maybe for the tunnel the best would be to rinse it with water first to get the pee out & then swoosh it in the tub with vinegar water to help rid the scent.  i’m not sure how willow acts with water (how fast it would swell / mould) but i’d be tempted to give it a good shake, pat it down with a towel & maybe even set it infront of a fan to help it dry out fast. 

what a stinker peeing in a willow tunnel!  good thing he’s so cute huh?

• JK
          Participant
          2223 posts Send Private Message

Well Edson peed on his basket under his stoop once so I sprayed it with "Nature’s Miracle" which is a stain and urine odor remover. Then I just thoroughly wiped it dry and it’s been fine ever since. This stuff smells a lot better than vinegar. Any pet store should carry this. If it is a ton of pee then maybe I would rinse it with water first and then follow up with the Natures Miracle and put it somewhere warm to dry.

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

Hi Tami! You’ve got some great advice. Rinse it with water and I agree that the vinegar does have a distinct smell that may remain in the willow and make sure it dries thoroughly to avoid mold. I have not tried the Natures Miracle on the willow though but then again with the way my two destroy anything willow it isn’t around long enough for them to pee in. : )

• Tami
              Participant

Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful suggestions !  I will look for that Natures Miracle spray the next time we go to Petco………maybe Tractor Supply might have it as well ?   I’ll make sure and check there too, since that’s local :o))

The vinegar & water will have to do for now, though. 

Thanks again everybody !

• Steve Parker
                Participant
                76 posts Send Private Message

I got the willow tunnel from Binky. I think it’s cute and thought Buddy would enjoy it. He smells it each day and has licked it a couple of times, but has never played in it. Do I need to do something to introduce him to this toy? What do you mean by a bunny will destroy anything willow? Will he eat it and is it safe to eat?

I got the bunny rattle from Binky and he loves to toss it and chew on it.

• MooBunnay
                  Participant
                  3087 posts Send Private Message

Yes – willow is a great thing for bunnies to munch on, and while some bunnies like to keep their willow tunnels in perfect shape – other bunnies will eat them to the ground! My bunnies are pretty good with the tunnels – but if I give them a willow ball or willow cube it last about…umm…2.5 seconds !

• MooBunnay
                    Participant

And Tami – when you said that “all our other buns use it” – are they bunnies that Sid is not bonded too? (Sorry, I can’t remember your bunny situation exactly!) – if so, this may have been Sid’s way of marking one of his favorite pieces of bunny furniture, and he may do it again to mark that territory. I’d recommend putting some newspaper, or an old mat or plastic or something under the tunnel just in case it happens again!

• Tami
                      Participant

Yes, that’s right MooBunnay.  He’s not bonded to any of them……I don’t trust him because he wants to hump everybunny and none of the others are altered yet either. 

Two of our bunns are getting done on the 30th of this month (Sid & Mopsey), my little Netherland Dwarf, Bally, will be 4 mos. on the 30th so we’ll get her done sometime in Feb. & our two Holland Lop babies Isabella & Rambo (Izzy & Bo, for short) are only 9 wks. old tomorrow, so they’ll get done some time in the Spring :o))

After everybunny is spayed/neutered then we’ll see about bonding, but until then I keep them all out of each other’s way.  Little Bo is already trying to hump his sister Izzy *sigh* ……..I was letting those two out to romp together but when I noticed him trying to do that, it became clear that I couldn’t do that any longer.  I don’t think Isabella minds in the least, though, because now she can go be curious wherever she wants & won’t have to worry about being bothered, hehehe

You may be right about Sid marking that tunnel, so I’ll take your suggestion to heart and make sure something is laying underneath it "just in case", although I’m crossing my fingers that it doesn’t !

Thanks so very much for that suggestion !

• MooBunnay
                        Participant

Thats good you are keeping them separated – If you are bunny experienced and this is old news to you I apologize, but don’t forget that bunnies can get pregnant as soon as 12 weeks old, and that brothers and sisters can impregnate each other It sounds like you’ve already got a houseful and don’t need any un-intended litters on your hands!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Cleaning question