Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Cleaning Bunny’s Bottom

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • CFYasutomi
      Participant
      10 posts Send Private Message

About a year and a half ago, my bunny came down with an ear infection. Thankfully, we caught it pretty early and got her to the vet in time to get meds. Unfortunately, she didn’t fully recover and walks with a slight limp (the vet warned us this could be a possible side effect), and she’s not as limber as she used to be so she isn’t able to keep her bottom clean. The fur on her bottom and the back of her legs are extremely matted, and she often smells like urine. We give her butt baths using only warm water, but I’m wondering if there’s something more we can do. Is there some kind of rabbit-safe shampoo we can use? Thanks for your advice.

• tobyluv
        Participant
        3310 posts Send Private Message

Have you had any discussions with your vet about getting a hygiene clip for your rabbit? That can be helpful when a rabbit has a chronic dirty bottom. Is it possible that your rabbit is in pain due to the limp? If so, low doses of a pain reliever, such as Metacam might help her be more limber and more able to keep clean. Sometimes butt baths are necessary, but it would be good if you could address the problem with a hygiene clip and/or some pain meds if warranted, so that you don’t have to bath her so often.

Instead of using some kind of rabbit shampoo when you give butt baths, you could try a small piece of a bar soap, such as Kirk’s Castille. It is hypoallergenic, contains no animal products, is not tested on animals and it comes in an unscented version. I use that soap for myself. I also use Clearly Natural or Clearly Magic glycerin soap, which like Kirk’s, is hypoallergenic, no animal products or testing, and comes in unscented. I have used small pieces of that soap in the water when I had to give a few butt baths to one of my elderly past rabbits who was unable to keep clean.

• JLH
          Participant
          94 posts Send Private Message

My bun often gets her cecotropes (vitamin poop I call it) stuck too her bottom, I use unscented delicate skin baby wipes. They work very good and are safe due too not having any perfumes or other chemicals in them. I won’t use the ones with all the junk in them.

• CFYasutomi
            Participant

Thanks for the suggestions. We will take her to the vet to discuss our options. Have you ever done a hygiene clip for your bunny? I did a quick google search and found that you can do it for cats and dogs, but maybe not bunnies.

• CFYasutomi
              Participant

Good to know those are safe to use. Thanks!

• tobyluv
                Participant
                3310 posts Send Private Message

Posted By CFYasutomi on 3/17/2019 3:57 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. We will take her to the vet to discuss our options. Have you ever done a hygiene clip for your bunny? I did a quick google search and found that you can do it for cats and dogs, but maybe not bunnies.

None of my bunnies have ever had a hygiene clip, but I have seen posts here where  other bunnies did get one.

• CFYasutomi
                  Participant

Thanks for the advice. We took her to the vet. They gave her a vey thorough butt bath, clipped her matted fur, and prescribed metcam. She’s officially a senior bunny with arthritis in her lower back.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Cleaning Bunny’s Bottom