Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Cleaning Anal Glands

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
    • Tami
      Participant
      163 posts Send Private Message

Ok, I know there’s been discussions on here about cleaning the anal glands but I’ve never read how it’s actually done.

Do you just clean around the outside of them or is it like an ear canal where you can clean just inside the perimeter ?

• bunnytowne
        Participant
        7537 posts Send Private Message

well they sort of open and can clean inside there if dirty can clean around outside too if you want too. but the inside can get dirty and they smell  sometimes for a little bit once you open it.

• babybunsmum
          Participant
          3896 posts Send Private Message

yeah they open up to reveal a little fleshy pocket.  if you see any yellowish gunk, then that’s what needs to be gently swabbed out with a q-tip.  be prepared for a strong skunky smell… it’s endurable but can be really strong.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
            Participant
            12067 posts Send Private Message

Just stick tissue in your nose. I’m actually pretty good at doing these now! It’s gets wwaaaaay easier then the first time

• Tami
              Participant
              163 posts Send Private Message

Is this a very uncomfortable feeling for them ?  I mean, I imagine it would be……I don’t even like thinking about it, LOL ! 

They get stressed out so much when trying to groom, etc……..I know this is something that needs done regularly, but you know how “parents” are…….a lot of times it hurts us more then our “kids” when you know it’s something that will make them feel pain.  Ya kinda just like to avoid it instead of putting them through that, if at all possible, know what I mean ?

At any rate, I’m planning on doing this w/hubby’s help within the next few days, so I need to know the particulars and be prepared for “Disapproving Bunnehs” & their reactions.  This will be a new experience, albeit unpleasant, for all of us…..so I want it to go as smoothly and quickly as possible :o))

Thanks so much for the help !

• skwerlybuns
                Participant
                46 posts Send Private Message

I know what you mean, our buns hate the idea of being picked up in the first place and then we’re going to start probing them in the nether regions    We are thankful that bunnies seem to have a short attention span and as soon as we put them down and give them a treet they start binkin again!

Good luck with the “swabbin” let us know how it went please!

• Bunnies4ever
                  Participant
                  368 posts Send Private Message

I know this sounds terrible, but I pay someone at House Rabbit Soceity to clean my bunnies scent glands! I can’t bring myself to do it, no matter how hard I try…at least I know the money I’m spendnig will go to the rescue.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                    Participant
                    12067 posts Send Private Message

Use warm water on the cutips, and it’s not painful or anything at all like that; I put them in the trance position-are you familiar with that? Kokanee DOES NOT trance but it still works to have her upside down to do this.

I’m almost thinking of making a video next time I do this, then maybe we could post it up here for people to see. But y’all have to sign a petition for Dave saying I’m not crazy!! LOL

• JK
                      Participant
                      2223 posts Send Private Message

Me too bunnies4ever.  I just can’t do it!  I let Save A Bunny clean those things and trim nails!  It’s the best $15 I have ever spent! Plus they clean the ears and give  a good brush over!

• KatnipCrzy
                        Participant
                        2981 posts Send Private Message

knowltons4- so your bunny basically goes in for  a “tune-up”?  You are really lucky!  We don’t have anything like that around here in Michigan- short of going to a vet clinic.  I think it is great that resuce does this as it is a good way to raise money and they obviously have alot of experience at it!

• JK
                          Participant

Yup!  I go every 6-8 weeks.  I am so fortunate they will do this!  I swear I will do this one day but why?

• kittsbuns
                            Participant
                            196 posts Send Private Message

Guys I’ve had Ziggy since July and Zelda since Sept and they have never had their sent glands clean is this bad. I take them to to groomer for their nails. I would’nt know where to start or who to contact to do this.

• Bunnies4ever
                              Participant
                              368 posts Send Private Message

I agree! I might as well let an expert do that instead of me. It causes a lot less stress on my rabbits. House Rabbit Society has a “package” where they will clean scrent glands, trim nails and give a “bunny massage”. It well worth the money!

• JK
                                Participant

Well kittsbuns you could be brave (unlike me) and try doing it yourself!  Check under Bunny Info above and scroll down to Monthly Maintenance and there is a lovely little picture showing how to do this!!!

• bunnytowne
                                  Participant
                                  7537 posts Send Private Message

ick cleaning anal glands just makes me …well…. feel so anal.   lol i jsut had to say that  hmm I know my vet here  they have a groomer and I could pay them for the nail trims and anal cleans. I like to tend to them myself tho kind of    anal of me.   

• Deleted User
                                    Participant
                                    22064 posts Send Private Message

I have just started doing Luey’s scent glands … mmm yeah its kinda gross but the more you practice the easier it is … I put Luey in a trance … god knows how I did that … surprised myself lol.

I kinda needed another hand … but I managed in the end …. and I also did his nails.

I gave myself a pat on the back for getting through it all, even though I was sweating like heck.

• notjulesverne
                                      Participant
                                      207 posts Send Private Message

“managed in the end” nice pun

• ScooterandAnnette
                                        Participant
                                        1090 posts Send Private Message
                                          Posted By bunnies4ever on 04/16/2008 3:54 PM
                                          I agree! I might as well let an expert do that instead of me. It causes a lot less stress on my rabbits. House Rabbit Society has a “package” where they will clean scrent glands, trim nails and give a “bunny massage”. It well worth the money!

I’m curious…what does a “bunny message” entail?

• Toki+Pumpkin+Elmo
                                          Participant
                                          319 posts Send Private Message

I’m not sure with technical stuff when it comes to bunny trail. But I buns love it when I scratch their neck. Behind their ears where the mane is. They’ll close their eyes and sit as long as I scratch. I sorta rub their head with my fingers with light pressure and they love it too.

• kittsbuns
                                            Participant
                                            196 posts Send Private Message

Thanks knowltons4 it never amaze’s me the info I can find on this group.

• LittlePuffyTail
                                              18092 posts Send Private Message

Okay I feel really bad admitting this but Stormy is 4 and I’ve never done this. I only heard about it recently. Is there a site with detailed instructions and info on this?

I want to do it soon because it probably needs doing but what happens if it’s not done? I bet there is a ton of people out there who don’t know about this and don’t do it.

Just a heads up, I’m pretty sure if I try this with Stormy alone there will be no more posts from me for a while. I will probably be in the hospital for several weeks…no, I’m serious. I’m actually scared!

• JK
                                                Participant

Check out Monthly Maintenance under Bunny Info above.  There is a clear picture of how to do it!  Good luck and ick!

• MimzMum
                                                  Participant
                                                  8029 posts Send Private Message

Sooo…if the stuff you get out of these glands is more dark brown that yellowish, is that very bad? 0.o;
                                                    I would liken it to removing belly button lint on a human. Unfortunately, it smells MUCH worse than lint!

It almost looks like my buns have little pockets to the sides of the glands as well…and on Mimzy it is almost black, this gunk, and I can’t quite get it all out and it shows up almost like a bruise under the skin. You can see where it’s still backed up.

I think I need to let my vet take care of this. She has no idea that bunnies have this issue. I think some gentle education on my part is necessary.

Viewing 22 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Cleaning Anal Glands