Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A CHOCOLATE!!!!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    Messages

    • CowieCow
      Participant
      39 posts Send Private Message

      Hi I’m new to this forum and what really brought me here is that it being halloween and all, well I had a big bowl of chocolates out and my bunny got into it eating some wrapper and a little bit of kit kat. How bad is chocolate for rabbits?!? She didn’t eat much I caught her quick enough, but I just want to make sure its not like poison for bunnies.

      worried,

      katie


    • BinkyBunny
      Moderator
      8773 posts Send Private Message

      WELCOME COWIECOW. 

      There is some chemical in chocolate, Theobromine that is not good for rabbits.  I know if the animal gets a lot of it, then it can be at a toxic level.  It sounds like your bunny got into a "small" portion, but I also don’t know the size of your bunny or how much is too much for your bunny. 

      I know, in the past, some bunny owners have said their bunny got into a small piece of chocolate, and had no negative affects, but to be safe, I would call a vet and clarify the weight of your bunny and how much exactly your bunny consumed.   If it is after hours, you can call an emergency vet and see if they will advise you.

      Here is a great article about chocolate toxicity – there is a paragraph about how much is too much.

      http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/nutritiondogs/a/chocolatetoxici.htm

      Keep us updated!!

        


    • CowieCow
      Participant
      39 posts Send Private Message

      Thanks Binky, that article was great. She didn’t eat very much at all, and she’s fine, I think the sugar got to her tho because a little while later she was zipping back and forth across the living room like a crazy bunny. It was pretty funny. She’s fine she didn’t hesitate for her food this morning either, as usual, I think she may actually be a pig, cuz she eats like one.

      thanks again


    • BinkyBunny
      Moderator
      8773 posts Send Private Message

      Oh good!!   Sounds like all she got from it was a sugar high!    Yahoooo!!


    • MSBOND
      Participant
      8 posts Send Private Message

      I found this thread on google, after 2 years of feeding my bunny chocolate on a daily basis I got told it might not be good for her. She seems extremely healthy and happy, just loves her chocolate treat for supper. Usually gets 4-5 drops of cooking chocolate or a square of Cadbury dairy milk chocolate daily.


    • Gravehearted
      Participant
      2428 posts Send Private Message

      welcome to binky bunny MSBOND. Chocolate is not lethal for rabbits, like it is for dogs. However, rabbits have extremely sensitive gi tracts, which can easily be thrown out of whack and cause gi stasis. Too much sugar is often the culprit in stasis, since it upsets the balance of good and bad bacterias needed in the bunny’s stomach to keep it working properly. I think some bunnies are very lucky and their tummies can handle more sugar than others, which may be like the case with your bunny. However, I would not recommend to anyone to feed their rabbits chocolate. There are many natural treats – like fruit that are a healthier choice.


    • BinkyBunny
      Moderator
      8773 posts Send Private Message

      Welcome MSBOND!!  What a beautiful Avatar!   

      I ditto what Gravehearted has said.  It’s sort of like a long-term smoker never having any ill effects.  I’ve known people who have smoked all of their lives and never had to deal with serious health issues due to smoking, but the rest of the population would be more likely to have health issues. 

      It’s great that so far you bunny hasn’t suffered from any serious digestive issues, but I wouldn’t recommend that anyone follow this treat routine. If it were my bunny, I would err on the side of caution as serious digestive imbalances can set in over a longer period of time.  There are plenty of healthier treats that are less risky.   Many bunnies love fruit! 1 – 2 oz is the recommended max amount by the house rabbit society.    Does she have a fruit preference?


    • MSBOND
      Participant
      8 posts Send Private Message

      Yep, she loves pineapple and fruit juice but nothing quite beats choco drops, ahaha. I have tried to cut down in the last couple of days but its so hard with those beady little eyes.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A CHOCOLATE!!!!