Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A chewer case #1:lilly eating crayons will it hurt?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    • BBMommy
      Participant
      57 posts Send Private Message

my bunny lilly nibbled on a crayon. will it hurt her???

• BBMommy
        Participant

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease help!

• Moonlight_Wolf
          Participant
          1155 posts Send Private Message

I don’ completly know, I know that if she did nibble on a crayon the best type to nibble on would be crayola. Did she nibble crayola?

• JK
            Participant
            2223 posts Send Private Message

I have no idea either but I would send an email to Dana Krempels at http://www.allexperts.com.  She’s usually very quick to answer.  She is not a vet but as close to one as you can get. 

• bunnytowne
              Participant
              7537 posts Send Private Message

I would like to knwo the answer to that too.

• RabbitPam
                11002 posts Send Private Message

Contact your veterinarian. I checked the Crayola Crayon site (were they Crayola?) and they are non-toxic to humans. They had a FAQ page were they were asked if it was toxic for pets, and though they are non-toxic materials they stated that you must contact a veterinarian if ingested.

Another site that sold cardboard playhouses for bunnies suggested coloring the outside decoratively with non-toxic crayons, but said nothing about what to do if ingested. The poison control center may have more specific advice, but by now I hope you called your vet to ask. Vets will usually give you an answer over the phone about something like that.

• JK
                  Participant
                  2223 posts Send Private Message

Rabbitpam has a good idea to call Poison Control.  I forgot about them.  Not even that sure that a vet would know. I highly doubt a little crayon would be that bad but just to be sure I would want to know.  Let us know what you find out.

• RabbitPam

OK, here we go. It’s the ASPCA hotline. You can call them. The question about crayons is not in their FAQ, but much good info. is, including about ibuprofin (NO!) and aspirin (call vet for dosage.) http://www.aspca.org Just call the toll free number below and follow this:

When you call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center hotline at (888) 426-4435, it’s most helpful to be ready with the following information:
                      – the species, breed, age, sex, weight and number of animals involved
                      – the animal’s symptoms
                      – information regarding the exposure, including the agent (if known), the amount of the agent involved and the time elapsed since the time of exposure.

Have the product container/packaging available for reference. Collect in a sealable plastic bag any material your pet may have vomited or chewed.

• Beka27
                      Participant
                      16016 posts Send Private Message

i don’t think a tiny chewed bit is going to hurt but i agree, better safe than sorry. my bun did take a bite from one of my son’s crayons months ago and there was no problem. now his room is completely off-limits to the buns, and he has to pick up after himself in the living room.

• BBMommy
                        Participant

yes it was crayola

• Scarlet_Rose
                          Participant
                          4293 posts Send Private Message

Your rabbit should be O.K. but by all means, don’t let it happen too much (I think you know that already). Crayola Crayons are non-toxic to humans and generally are safe. We’ve had members who had their bunnies eat candles too and the vets advised that they would be O.K. Obviously keep a close eye on your rabbit for the next few days for any signs of distress. But keep your vets phone # handy just in case.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                            Participant
                            12067 posts Send Private Message

My dog used to love to eat crayons and was always fine, but of course that’s a whole different type of digestive system. How is your bunny today?

• BinkyBunny
                              8776 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits seem to be drawn to eat stuff like this – waxy stuff like candles and crayola’s are not toxic in the sense of poison, but depending on how much your bunny consumed, you have to watch for digestive upsets. Keep an eye on his poos and diet and make sure everything is working normally over the next few days.

• BBMommy
                                Participant

she`s fine runnin` around again!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                  Participant
                                  12067 posts Send Private Message

Good to hear!

• RabbitPam

Glad to hear it.
                                      What color was it?

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A chewer case #1:lilly eating crayons will it hurt?