Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE cherry

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
    • Steve Parker
      Participant
      76 posts Send Private Message
        I buy a lot of dried fruit to eat as snacks. (Human snacks.)

Every time I open a bag of dried cherries my bunny, Buddy, starts to beg for them. I’ve read that they shouldn’t eat cherry wood, but are dried cherries ok?

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

hmmm. i don’t see cherry on the list of fruits that are okay—–> https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=144

i have no idea. if you found out it was okay, you would only be able to give a tiny tiny piece maybe three times a week. i know they can have other dried fruits… but i don’t know.

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

In very small quantities as with any dried fruit since they are high in sugar.

• Steve Parker
            Participant

Thanks for the info. I think Buddy will be happy with one or two a week.

• MarkBun
              Participant
              2842 posts Send Private Message

I give my buns about two raisins a day. It is not the recommended amount by a longshot. However, Maryann has been receiving this for the last 6+ years and she’s in perfect health. I am also aware that by doing this, I may be shortening her lifetime a bit but I weighed that against her enjoyment and have decided that its worth it.

Now I’m not condoning this for every bun out there as each one is individuals but thus far, I have not seen any negative reactions to this – other than her being a pest if she doesn’t get her early morning treat.

This is my one ‘bad bunny slave’ thing I do.

Well that and I let her own a handgun.  HENCE why she gets the raisins.

• Beka27
                Participant

LMAO!!!! Markus… you are too funny!

i can completely see Maryann waving around a pistol… no wonder the bonding was slow…

• Floppy
                  Participant
                  490 posts Send Private Message

Markusdark— that is so funny!!! That post made me smile, thanks!

• babybunsmum
                    Participant
                    3896 posts Send Private Message

lol markusdark… does she have a membership in the nra too? 

if baby & pinky owned handguns i’d be working only to buy bulk pellets since they seem to think it’s rabbit crack.  pinky almost knocks me down when i feed her her scoop especially since i’m not giving it to them first thing in the morning anymore.

• Scarlet_Rose
                      Participant
                      4293 posts Send Private Message

It is the pit to be careful of, so make sure they have no remenants of it and yes the wood from a cherry tree can definately be toxic too. Fruits are O.K. but in very small quantities.

• MimzMum
                        Participant
                        8029 posts Send Private Message

A bun with a gun…oooo…aren’t their cute looks dangerous enough?
                          And I’m sorry, but I gotta say it…does Maryann have a “HARE” trigger? lolz….
                          I know, I stink. ^_^

I see those Craisins that have cherry flavor to them, but I can’t imagine giving the bunnies real cherries, dried or otherwise. Although mine are rather fond of wild strawberries.
                          I’ve had to really cut back Pip’s treats, as they tend to give her poopy butt. Keep an eye out that whatever dried fruit you give, it’s in small quantities so their digestive systems aren’t upset.

Scarlet, what about those little ‘chewing sticks’ you see in petstores? They claim to be ‘treated’ cherry wood, are they dangerous? (I just use Binky Willow Twigs myself, but we used to buy these for Mimzy when we first got him.)

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                          Participant
                          12067 posts Send Private Message

Any ‘pitted’ fruit; The pit and the wood of the tree/plant contain arsenic. The fruit does not so cherries are OK

Markus you are hilarious!!

• MarkBun
                            Participant

I’m not sure why everyone thinks it’s funny….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp6k1Wgvgzg

• Beka27
                              Participant

^^^^^AAAHahahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                Participant

LOL LOL That’s ridiculously cute!! Where did you get that???

• Steve Parker
                                  Participant

Thanks all for the info. I think I’ll give Buddy a raisin or two. They look similar to the dried cherries that I eat so maybe he won’t mug me for the cherry.

You all are too funny!

• MarkBun
                                    Participant

I should note that be it raisin or cherry – they are both dried fruits with a high sugar content. The high sugar content could promote the growth of ‘bad bacteria’ that exists within a bun. You should also know that the bun is chock full of ‘good bacteria’ that aids in their digestion.

So either one is just as ‘bad’ as the other – as far as my understanding goes. But, IMO, it’s like giving your kid candy. Sure, it’s not healthy for them but in moderation it should be all right. Of course a single raisin to a bun is equivalent to about a half pound of chocolate to us.

• MarkBun
                                      Participant
                                        Posted By Kokaneeandkahlua on 05/15/2008 9:07 AM
                                        LOL LOL That’s ridiculously cute!! Where did you get that???

I made it in about an hour.  Hardest thing was stopping her from hopping too much as the gun would swing down under her belly. 

The gun is nothing more than a paperclip that has been bent and had solder filling the gap between the wire. 

• MimzMum
                                        Participant
                                        8029 posts Send Private Message

Jeez, I wish a raisin had the same chocolate satisfaction effect on me as it would my rabbit! >_< Maybe I wouldn't be tipping the scales as much as I am now!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                          Participant

A raisin is like half a chocolate bar??

• MarkBun
                                            Participant

Actually, it’s more like a single candy bar. I believe most candy bars are 8 ounces.  At least that is what I was told but you know how many different people have different opinions and it could be different for a 3 pound dwarf vs a 8 pound rex.

• tobyluv
                                              Participant
                                              3310 posts Send Private Message

Some of the dried fruits have sulfites and added sugar.  Neither one of those are good for rabbits.  If you do feed dried fruits, make sure that they are nothing but the fruit.

• Scarlet_Rose
                                                Participant
                                                4293 posts Send Private Message

ROFL!!!! OMG!!! That was funny!!!

• Steve Parker
                                                  Participant

Thanks for all the info. I buy all my dried fruit @ Trader Joes. It’s organic w/ nothing added. Buddy loves their dried apples. Again, nothing but apple. I only give him a little piece of apple as a treat each day. The cherry is what he begs for, but I’m not going to give him any of those. Good thing because they are really expensive. I’m going to be selfish and keep those for myself. I also get banana chips and once in a great while, I give him one of those. He begs for them too. I have some of the organic raisins too. They don’t have sugar so I’ll add them to his treats.

He is funny. He won’t eat a lot of things people mention on the forum. He hates parsley, mint, beat greens. He’s picky. He sneaks into the bird’s sunflower seeds when he can. He loves red leaf lettuce.

Thanks again to all.

Viewing 22 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE cherry