Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Changing pellets

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • AlexT
      Participant
      39 posts Send Private Message

Okay, folks, I need some advice on dealing with a picky bun.  We’ve been feeding Oxbow-T for about 3 1/2 years now.  However, as I discovered in my research (posted on the forum) Oxbow is really high in calories.  It’s also not available anywhere in the area where I’m likely to be appointed by the bishop this June.  So, with our vet’s blessing, we’re changing our buns to Mazuri pellets, which is roughly comparable to LabDiet High Fiber (less than a tenth of a percent difference on most nutrients, etc.) and has far fewer calories than Oxbow.  It’s an alfalfa based pellet, but the vet doesn’t think that will be a problem given our buns’ history, and it’s much easier to find in Georgia than Oxbow since PetsMart carries it.

But here’s the thing.  Maggie likes the new stuff just fine, but Benji is much less eager.  Actually, he doesn’t seem to want to eat the new stuff at all.  After a week, we’ve just moved from a 75/25 mix to a 50/50 mix of the two, and he seems to be picking the Oxbow out around the new pellets.  Any advice on winning over a picky bun?

Alex

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Can you just try putting the new pellets in cold turkey – eliminate the old pellets all together since he’s been introduced to them but is eating around them.

• Toki+Pumpkin+Elmo
          Participant
          319 posts Send Private Message

I switched from Kaytee to Oxbow pellets long time ago. Pumpkin did the same thing. She just picked out Kaytee and didnt eat Oxbow. I just stuck with ‘pellet change schedule’ and hoping that she would adapt to it. I guess she couldnt hold back the hunger and had to it eat eventually. Now she seems to be fine with it. She eats well and doesnt disapprove.

• kimberleyanddarren
            Participant
            2520 posts Send Private Message

i would start mixing them together in lets say 1/4 new 3/4 original then 1/2 and 1/2 then 3/4 new 1/4 old etc…

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Changing pellets