Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A cecal over production?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    • bunnycutie
      Participant
      549 posts Send Private Message

i dont know what im doing wrong. is it a tempature change or too much sugar in his diet(he hasnt been getting THAT many treats though)? i have been noticing teeny like half cecals in his litter pan when i go to change it. what does this mean? how do i fix it? 

• bunnycutie
        Participant

^^ i should add not lots. just a few

• katie, max & penny
          Participant
          956 posts Send Private Message

hmm. the change from being inside may be stressing him out a bit- new noises and smells? Too many pellets could be another factor.

• bunnycutie
            Participant

i am assuming that since he is a very sensative rabbit, and is always aware of everything around him, he might be stressed a little bit. he takes a little while to adjust to new things. he has only been in 3 days,, but i bet by tomorrow he will be fully adjusted. his mind is probably filled with questions about all the noises and smells. i dont think the pellets are much of a concern, he is only getting 1/4 cup 2x a day. not much.

• Sarita
              Participant
              18851 posts Send Private Message

Well, that’s a 1/2 cup of pellets which is quite a bit.

• bunnycutie
                Participant

ohhhh sarita i never did the math. i just figured because books say 1/4 cup per 5 lbs…. and i always thought this was 2x a day. so is it only once a day? im so confused. he is only 4 lbs so how much should i give him? i still want to keep him at 2 feedings a day…

• katie, max & penny
                  Participant

I would give him an eighth a cup in the morning and an eighth at night. total 1/4 cup a day.

• bunnycutie
                    Participant

okay…..sounds good. lets see what sarita says too. i want all the input i can get

• katie, max & penny
                      Participant

yeah i give my two (they share a bowl) 1/2 cup a day so 1/4 for each.

• KatnipCrzy
                        Participant
                        2981 posts Send Private Message

Did you change the pellets that you were feeding from Oxbow to Zupreem- that can make a difference in the gut also.

• Beka27
                          Participant
                          16016 posts Send Private Message

Yes, change in environment, changes in pellets, too many pellets… he is still getting plenty of hay? Is it possible he is getting too many treats since he’s inside now? I know in my house, I will give the buns a treat, then leave the room… Mike walks in and they act like they’re staaaaaarviiiing, so he treats them all over again… Is your mom or someone else treating him too?

• bunnycutie
                            Participant

nope-we decided to keep him on oxbow. i dont think i’d ever trust any other brand LOL he is still eating almost completly hay, i have cut his pelets back to 1/8 cup(2x a day). as far as treats go…maybe a extra everyonce and a while,but my rule of thumb is—one or two treats evry 3 days—- now its shifted to every other! bad me… actually this morning he didnt have any cecals in his potty box. i will keep you updated. and he seems to be adjusted to the inside now

• jerseygirl
                              22345 posts Send Private Message

Also, he might be getting sneaked treats from your Mom. You mentioned you were cleaning his tray twice a day now he’s inside. Perhaps he normal leaves some and eats them later but you noticed because your inspecting the try more frequently?

• MimzMum
                                Participant
                                8029 posts Send Private Message

I’ve been a having a lot of cecal problems with my mini-rex. Lately, it seems almost anything he eats will cause him to leave very mushy cecals (more than the usual smelly too) all over his flooring and he’ll step in them, lie in them, then I have messy bunny to clean by day’s end.
                                  We’re actually trying to cut down on pellets with our bunnies. But I’m curious…do any particular hay types ever give bunnies cecal problems? Maybe some types are too rich for their tummies?

• bunnycutie
                                  Participant

maybe he eats them later. it seemed to be only that one day though. i will ask mom about the treats

MM- i dont think hay could cause cecal problems. how many pellets are they getting each day?

• bunnycutie
                                    Participant

^^on a second thought, alfalfa is very rich, so if they are getting that, it may be the problem

• Karla
                                      Participant
                                      1624 posts Send Private Message

Posted By MimzMum on 10/14/2009 05:18 PM
                                        I’ve been a having a lot of cecal problems with my mini-rex. Lately, it seems almost anything he eats will cause him to leave very mushy cecals (more than the usual smelly too) all over his flooring and he’ll step in them, lie in them, then I have messy bunny to clean by day’s end.
                                        We’re actually trying to cut down on pellets with our bunnies. But I’m curious…do any particular hay types ever give bunnies cecal problems? Maybe some types are too rich for their tummies?

I have noticed that when I feed with certain types of hay (those mixed ones – with certain types of flowers etc. – , which my bunnies go crazy for), they will leave a thousand more droppings than on a normal day. So I only feed them the regular hay…there is definitely something in those types of hay that are different from the regular hay.

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A cecal over production?