Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Cataract or something else??

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Biscuit@Smores
      Participant
      18 posts Send Private Message

Hello! I found that one of my bunnies has a cloudy eye. There was some white eyebooger(?) Which i was able to remove, but in that eye he has a small streak of white. The day before his eye was slightly watery, but it didn’t seem too concerning. He is acting normal and seems to be able to see fine but I am slightly concerned. They usually get some eye issues that some how resolve on their own but advise would be appreciated!!

(First pic eye with issue Second his normal eye)

For reference

• LBJ10
        16908 posts Send Private Message

Looks like uveitis. How old is your bunny? This is typically seen in younger bunnies with EC. You should have a vet check it out before things progress. EC is relatively inexpensive to treat. But the treatment is long/slow so you have to keep at it. Typical treatment is Panacur for at least 28 days.

• Biscuit@Smores
          Participant

He isn’t necessarily ‘young’, he is 8 (human years) and has always been relatively healthy. It doesn’t necessarily look like uveitis but, I will keep an eye on him.

• LBJ10
            16908 posts Send Private Message

If it’s a white-ish blob or streak inside the eye, I don’t know what else it would be. Uveitis can also be caused by glaucoma, which is more common in older rabbits. Either way, I would have a vet take a look.

• Bam
              16878 posts Send Private Message

A speck in a young rabbit’s eye can be a sign of ec, or it can be an infection (pasteurella). It’s difficult to diagnose, some very good vets can use a fine needle to take a sample of what’s in the speck and cultivate it – don’t think that’s very commonly done. My good rabbit vet doesn’t do it. EC is the primary suspect anyway.

Cataracts can occur naturally in aging rabbits, just like it can in aging humans. Do you see any other symptoms that could point to ec? I think it’s your rabbit’s coloring that makes it look like redness around the eyes in the picture?

• DanaNM
                8935 posts Send Private Message

I do think it would be best to have the vet check it out. They can also check the eye pressure. If it’s an age-related cataract that can also go along with an increase in eye pressure which can be painful (but treatable with eye drops).

I also agree EC shouldn’t be ruled out. More and more cataracts that were thought to be “just age” are being attributed to EC.

It’s great he is doing well in other ways!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Biscuit@Smores
                  Participant

He doesn’t have redness in his eye,  and the cloudy streak seems to have lightened up but I am still being cautious.  I would take a picture, but taking the first one was already a big hassle and I dont want to bother him again. His eye did have a white eye booger once but no other symptoms. He is still behaving normally and playing with his brother.

• Bam
                    16878 posts Send Private Message

I think it’s a good plan to keep an eye on it. It’d good to keep a little “picture diary” so you can keep track of changes to that cloudy streak -but rabbits are notoriously difficult to get really sharp pics of. If the cloudy streak become bigger, it’s best to have a vet look at it bc as Dana says, cataracts can cause elevated intraocular pressure.

You’ll obviously notice if he gets more eye boogers and if the eye becomes red and irritated.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Cataract or something else??