Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A carnivore???

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • laylalover
      Participant
      52 posts Send Private Message

ok, hi evryone! this may sound a bit weird, and i hope my dear layla isnt the only one out there. i am very cautious with any food i give my bunny, and i also make sure any treats are given in small amounts and not too often. however, once i was sitting and eating a hot dog and layla jumped on me and tried to steal the meat!! she then stole the napkin i was using, which had meaty taste to eat, and proceed to eat it!! i chased he r around the house and managed to get it back. now that wasnt the last time it happened. anytime that im eating meat, she tries to go for it, or at least steal the napkins!! shouldnt she insinctively know that that she is a vegetarian!!! i feel that if i left a tasty piece of cooked hot dog lying around that she would eat it!!! its weeeeeird!! is this normal? also, dont worry, i would never in a million years give her meat!!

• RabbitPam
        11002 posts Send Private Message

Hot Dog flavored napkins LOL! It may just be that she’s interested because you’re eating it (Mom likes it, it must be good). Spockie LOVED napkins and had one to shred every day. If it’s got a flavor, so much the better. It may be part playing with you to steal your food an napkin. It was fun.

I’m betting she’d bite the hot dog without eating much, but not letting her try it is the way to go.

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

what a silly girl! in my experience, bunnies do not know instinctively what they should or should not eat. the y might knwo in the wild, but domestic buns just like food. make sure she can’t get to your plate, or you might try having a salad on the floor for her while you eat.

• kralspace
            Participant
            2663 posts Send Private Message

wow, I think some of them are meateaters…lol

I have to really watch where I feed the cats because Pringles will try to sneak some of the wet food, gross, bunny with tuna breath. That’s just not right

• Sage Cat
              Participant
              1883 posts Send Private Message

They do keep us on our toes – don’t they?
                Tuna bunny breath – ha, ha, ha!

I think Rabbit Pam is right – Layla sees you doing it, she wants to play and maybe get a tasty treat at the same time. Hmm, didn’t I just respond to a post of yours about how to play with her?

I really don’t think an occasional stolen bite of meat will really hurt a bunny – but, yea, don’t encourage it.

• skunklionshow
                Participant
                1257 posts Send Private Message

I’m a vegetarian, and I always joke that it’s ok for the bunnies to have some veggie burgers or veggie dogs…but alas they couldn’t care less.  I think she’s just interested in what your eating.  My cats get all excited when I put fresh hay in the bunny bin, so I think that curiousity can go both ways.  It reminds me of how I cringe when I see birds picking at chicken on the bone in the street…”you’re being a canibal, ick!” 

• MimzMum
                  Participant
                  8029 posts Send Private Message

lolz…my cat steals the hay too, but he just loves to eat greens! ^_^
                    My buns actually get sort of nervous looking when I bring any meat in to eat near them. It has caused me to rethink the possibility of going vegetarian again. My daughter claims she sees cows faces swimming before her eyes when someone orders a hamburger around her, and yet she’ll eat hot dogs and chicken mc nuggets…of course, I’m not sure that’s really meat? *bleah*

Anyway, I agree, it’s best not to let bun get hold of anything like that. They have delicate enough tummies without adding to the problem.

• Scarlet_Rose
                    Participant
                    4293 posts Send Private Message

Beware of the wererabbit. I have heard of many rabbits doing this, although they really are herbivores and meat will alter the balance of the GI tract and cause problems. It does happen though, especially when it comes to dog and cat food being eaten by a rabbit. A small snatch will not cause long-term problems, but a rabbit who eats it constantly over time it will adversely affect them. Further, rabbits explore with their mouths so anything interesting to you, another animals and so on I think rabbits will taste tidbits of what we and other animals find interesting whether or not it is good for them. I almost think that their intelligence lead them to believe, “What’s good for my human must be good for me!”

• Cassi&Charlie
                      Participant
                      1260 posts Send Private Message

I always have to make sure Charlie can’t get near my baked beans. He’s not interested in most human foods but for some reason he goes wild over baked bean, he jumps on me, bites me, tries to get onto the table…scarily my boyfriend says he does the same thing over chicken (I’m a vego so I’ve never seen it). Apparently he got a taste for chicken when some was ‘accidently’ dropped onto the floor. Strange, he hates lettuce but loves chicken…

• Scarlet_Rose
                        Participant
                        4293 posts Send Private Message

C & C that is quite amuzing. Little dickens.

• Gravehearted
                          Participant
                          2428 posts Send Private Message

i’ll never forget when i was a kid and left a tuna sandwich on the floor while i went to get a drink. I came back to find Droste eating it! Boy was I ever shocked Bunnies are quite funny like that

• laylalover
                            Participant
                            52 posts Send Private Message

he he, such funny bunnies! i’m glad that my layla is not the only crazy bun around! beka27-great idea! i will definitely leave a salad for her to eat while eat. I’ve noticed she likes to do things together. If she’s awake she’ll go beserk until we get out of bed, then satisfied that we’re all up, she’ll disappear into bunny land! or if im on the couch she has to be on the couch. she’s now taken to sitting on the dining room chairs! sh’es so entertaining! thanks everyone

• Jessica3
                              Participant
                              5 posts Send Private Message

My rabbit, Duncan, does the same thing! I feed him plenty of hay, veggies, and the right amount of pellets, but he’s hungry for just about everything! He has pulled my taco bell chalupa off the coffee table and attempted to eat it, and on another occation he grabbed a piece of pepperoni pizza out of the box and ran across the living room with it! Don’t worry, he didn’t actually get to eat anything, but boy did he try! I’m convinced that Duncan would eat anything edible if it was within reach 🙂

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                Participant
                                12067 posts Send Private Message

ROTFL!!! Awww more funny things bunnies do!! Kokanee was like that too, anything I was eating, she had to have-I had literally pry gummy bears out of her mouth. AND no surface was safe, she could get on anything but the counter tops in the kitchen…and I’m sure given a suitable food on the counter top she would have gone up there too!!

But…hmm…TUNA!??!?!! Too funny!!!

• MimzMum
                                  Participant
                                  8029 posts Send Private Message

ROFL about the bunny who “runs with pizza!”

I can just see it now…

Duncan: (nomming pizza)
                                    Charlie: What’s it like?
                                    Duncan: *munch-munch* Tastes like chicken.
                                    Charlie: *attacks* BANZAI!

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A carnivore???