Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Care during summer heat

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • richards1052`
      Participant
      14 posts Send Private Message

We keep our pet rabbit in an enclosed front yard most of the year during the daytime.  With the local heat wave we’re having this summer in the Pacific NW, Temps regularly are 80 degrees or more.  But there is shade in the yard much of the day.  So Temps in the shade would be lower.

Should I use the temperature in the shade as an indicator to bring him inside where it’s cooler?  Or the air temperature in general as I hear it on the weather forecast?

I’m using 80 degrees as my max temp to determine whether to bring him in. Is that the temp you would use to determine his max acceptable level?

• Cinnimon&Ollie
        Participant
        300 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits should not live outside. There are many risks with living outside. One of those risks is that an animal would be able to break into the rabbits living space and have it for a meal. Another risk is RHDV2 a deadly rabbit virus spreading like wildfire. Also 80 degrees would be too high but I am not going to get into that ( at least not yet ) because the bunny should be permanently moved indoors.

• richards1052`
            Participant

Ours is 6 yrs old and has lived in our front yard since we got him when he was 1 yr old.  He’s quite happy.  THe front yard is entirely fenced in. Nothing can get in or out except via the gate, which we use.  Not even wild rabbits, which we have in our neighborhood, can get in.

At any rate, my question dealt with temperature/climate not the answer you offered.

• DanaNM
            8901 posts Send Private Message

I think 80 F is a safe cut off (I would use the temps in your bun’s area, but if you’re not sure you could just go with the forecasted temp). Around 80 F is where you start worrying about heat stroke in rabbits as a rule of thumb. However, if the temp spikes up way above the normal temps, you might want to bring him in sooner (like if it’s been in the low 60s and suddenly its 80 or higher).

I usually turn on my AC when temps get above 80 for that reason. You can also offer a frozen bottle to your bun if things are kind of marginal (I had to do this a lot in the days before I had AC).

I think it would be less stressful for the bun if you could bring them in for the whole heat wave, rather than going in and out each day.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• richards1052`
                Participant

@ DanaNM: Thanks, that helps.

• BZOO
                Participant
                327 posts Send Private Message

Can you offer a bun sized piece of granite or something similar for him to lay on?  That can be cooling.

Perhaps check temp on the grass, in the shade, that should give you a good idea of the temps he’s really getting.

You say the yard is enclosed…does that include the top?  I’d worry about hawks!

• Hazel
                  Participant
                  2587 posts Send Private Message

It’s not good for a rabbit to go from hot to cool environments every day. It will cause their fur to not develop properly for either environment, they will end up being too hot or too cold no matter where they are. Sudden temperature changes can also lead to respiratory illnesses.

It would be best if you just take him inside permanently. If he goes inside at night I assume you already have a setup for him in the house, so why kick him outside during the day to begin with, especially when temperatures are unfavorable?

Is your yard covered to keep birds out?

I know he’s been out there for 5 years, but just because he’s still alive doesn’t necessarily mean he’s well and it certainly doesn’t mean he couldn’t be better. Rabbits aren’t like dogs in that they would cry and complain if they are unhappy. Being prey animals, they will suffer in silence for as long as they can bear it as to not draw attention to themselves. His quality of life would be immeasurably improved if he lived permanently inside with you, getting interaction and affection, being part of your daily life, being save from weather, predators, parasites and disease, instead of spending most of his time out there with noone for company but himself. He must be desperately lonely. I never understood why people get a pet just to banish it to the yard. They deserve to be part of your family, they need companionship. If all you want is a lawn ornament, get something without a heartbeat.

• richards1052`
                    Participant

Since you offered some unsolicited insult in the guise of advice, I’ll offer you some unsolicited advice. Taking a censorious tone isn’t helpful. And in this case was entirely unwarranted.

Our rabbit is very healthy and happy and gets lots of  human attention. He is not “banished” to the yard. He enjoys a garden full of plants to enjoy and plenty of shade. Nor do we consider him a “lawn ornament.” There may be other rabbit owners you’ve interacted with who fit that description, but we don’t & I’d appreciate it if you wouldn’t be so condescending and judgmental.

• Wick & Fable
                      5770 posts Send Private Message

It’s great to hear that your rabbit is healthy and gets a lot of attention.

Let’s keep in mind the topic presented by the OP and keep this topic related to it. It is clear that everyone is expressing with rabbit care in mind, and it is important to respect that there are different ways to provide fine care for pet rabbits. Also, I’d like to highlight that online forum interactions can be tricky, and things such as tone can be warped. Again, it is very clear to me that everything expressed has expressed from a place of caring.

As stated in our Forum Guidelines, “We Do Not Tolerate Poor Manners: Snide, Snotty, Snarky Snooty, Judgmental, Chastising, Berating, Scolding type of Remarks not allowed.” I’d appreciate it if everyone can move forward with this in mind and try our best to facilitate that environment on our forums.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• LBJ10
                        16869 posts Send Private Message

I agree that going from hot to cold repeatedly without a conditioning period is not a good idea. If your bunny is acclimated to being outside during the day, then it would probably be best to find ways for him to stay cool when he is outside. Have you thought about making a “burrow”? Basically, it is a dig-proof house built into a berm. May not be an immediate solution for the warm weather you are currently experiencing, but it may be something to consider for the future.

• richards1052`
                          Participant

@LBJ10: Yes, he’s made himself a burrow in the shady part of the garden.  And there are parts of the garden in shade every part of the day.

Also, we don’t have air conditioning in our home.  So the indoor temp will be cooler than outdoors, but not by more than 10 degrees usually.

• LBJ10
                              16869 posts Send Private Message

Ah, OK, that makes sense. I suppose taking him inside when it’s hot wouldn’t be too hard on him if the temperature difference is only 10 degrees. That being said, it may not make much difference since being in the shade would have essentially the same effect (depending on humidity and other factors, of course). The suggestion of a cool garage floor might not be a bad idea. Same would go for a cool basement floor if you have an unfinished basement.

So he has a little burrow that he made himself? I was thinking more like one of those human-made ones made out of concrete or similar would have more of a cooling effect. But burrowing animals take advantage of the coolness of underground all the time, so maybe the burrow he made is deep enough. Have you tried taking the temperature in there? An infrared thermometer would work for that, I bet.

• RabbitPam
                              11002 posts Send Private Message

Hi, Richard, if you check out the Bunny Info section of the site you may find more suggestions for cooling your bunny in the heat that haven’t already been mentioned. My favorite is laying down a frozen water bottle since a bunny can both lay next to it and lick the condensation to drink cool water. I am partial to taking a washcloth, wetting it with cool water, wringing it out and wrapping it around his ears like a turban. The skin there is thin and it helps to regulate their body temp.

As a House Rabbit site our members often give impassioned reasons to take a bunny indoors permanently since we have visitors with outdoor bunnies less frequently. Clearly you take good care of him and love him, so thanks guys for making good points in favor of indoors, but it’s time to play nice and stick to the question at hand.

Like areas where AC is rarely needed, this is a short term problem that needs immediate attention. I like the concrete slab idea too. If you want to get a dog exercise pen it’s tall, collapsible for shaping and storage. Possibly a worthwhile investment to have on hand. You can stretch a sheet across the top and clip it, making a shady enclosure that’s temporary. It could even be moved into a garage for a cool floor until the heat wave ends. Tall because bunnies can jump high, and out, if they want to escape.

Hope our suggestions help. Stay hydrated yourself!

• Hazel
                                Participant
                                2587 posts Send Private Message

I know what I said was rude, but I do feel that sometimes people (and more importantly their animals) can benefit from a bit of a wakeup call. I don’t mind stepping on people’s toes if that means it might open their eyes to how they can care better for their animal. Normally I wouldn’t come in hot like this, but after I saw the op dismiss the concern about the rabbit living mainly outside when it was raised in an earlier post, I decided to be more direct.

Nevertheless, I apologize for being rude.

• richards1052`
                                  Participant

I am the OP and no rabbit owner should assume that they know everything about how every rabbit should be treated or raised. It would be better if you spoke of how you raise your own, but didn’t presume to censure others for what you judge to be bad treatment.

I don’t think I “dismissed” anyone regarding the rabbit being outside. I explained why I thought the outdoor conditions were appropriate for him given the accommodations (food, shade, protective fencing) there were in the garden. Though you may have misinterpreted my response. But that’s on you, not me.

Your approach was not helpful, at least to me. If your goal is to be helpful, I’d suggest you approach things offering advice rather than judgment.

I do appreciate your apology if you were including me in what you wrote.

• DanaNM
                                    8901 posts Send Private Message

I’m going to lock this thread now, as advice has been given and there is no use continuing to circle around.

I’d like to reiterate what Wick said to all participants of this discussion:

“As stated in our Forum Guidelines, “We Do Not Tolerate Poor Manners: Snide, Snotty, Snarky Snooty, Judgmental, Chastising, Berating, Scolding type of Remarks not allowed.”

To the OP, please keep in mind that this is a house-rabbit centric forum. We often come across issues of animal welfare buried in questions about other topics, so it is very normal for members to offer advice that in general benefits rabbit welfare. As Wick said, all advice given came from a place of caring rabbits. I do encourage you to look into vaccinating your rabbit against RHDV, as was suggested earlier in the thread (there is a pinned post on this topic in each section).

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 12 reply threads
                                  • The topic ‘Care during summer heat’ is closed to new replies.

Forum DIET & CARE Care during summer heat