Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Can’t get it out of my head

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • mia
      Participant
      520 posts Send Private Message

Many buns have passed through here. That’s life. But one little guy just passed a couple days ago after a long hard battle. There is so much I’m grateful for (incl the suggestions here for the yummiest foods) but his ending was not kind. They will try to find out what happened but that’s not really an issue for me. I just can’t get his last moments out of my head. He screamed for 5-10 mins while having a seizure. I’ve never heard a scream before but even one would tear me apart.

Before the last few extra months we had together, I had already mentioned/considered putting him to sleep. I didn’t need more time with him, just wanted him comfortable. He pulled through and at one point, I even thought he was going make full recovery, albeit on several meds. 2.5 months later, after being hospitalized consecutive days and nursing at home overnight, and once again making sure they know I just wanted him comfortable, I was told he turned the corner and only needed one more day of only IV/flush his system. Nursed more over night and *BAM*, the worst imaginable at 2am… This isn’t about would have, could have, should have, etc; he had a great team of doctors throughout.

I’ve been very sick and isolated since 2020 with long covid. Though there are two other long ear’d here, this little guy had been my closest companion in the past 3.5 yrs since we had been ping ponging emergency health crisis, one after another, oftentimes with literally the same thing. So not only is it harder because of this situation, every memory ends up with him screaming…

• mia
        Participant

Last yr feast for Thanksgiving

This year’s feast, missing my beautiful brave little one

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hbefgp3nz7HjAFJv7

• Bam
          16879 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry you lost your little one. You did all that could be done for him. The video is lovely. The picture is lovely too, it’s just a little sad because he didnt get to be there to enjoy the feast 💔

Rabbits do often scream during the agonal phase. It’s deeply upsetting, to say the least. This is an instinct or “automated” reaction and we must hope that the rabbit isn’t conscious at this stage – but I dont know if anyone really knows, of course.

Binky free, sweet brave little boy

• mia
            Participant

Since there isn’t much info online about this disease, I’ll write a little here. They found he had Tyzzer’s afterwards. I assume his immune system got knocked out (within the past couple years, he had many other issues too, including EC) and it gradually took his little body out.

He was at least 8+ y/o and didn’t have diarrhea. Related symptoms to this was that over two years, he had a gradual onset of tiny specks of poops (not even mal formed, no one seems to know what this is) and gradual weight loss/hard to keep up weight. His fur very suddenly looked strange, unkept, and falling out. I highly doubted it at the time but we treated for fleas; I see now it’s a symptom. He had, very obvious to me, bouts of depression. In Aug, he had stasis every week needing emergency. Made it through the month and somehow things were kept in check with lots of meds and I spoiled him silly until Nov. He had another episode of stasis and though he finally started going and was seemingly making it out of the episode, his body gave out.

I’m still sobbing every day, especially because I do and have reason to think he was conscious at the end.

• DanaNM
              8935 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry for your loss and for such a traumatic passing. 🙁  I’ve had two buns pass similarly (not the same illness but the final moments) and it is so so horrible.

Thank you for sharing the info about the disease, I’ve never heard of Tyzzer’s and I think this information will certainly help other rabbit owners.

I hope your other buns can give you some comfort in these hard days. 🙁

Binky Free little one <3

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Can’t get it out of my head