Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Can’t get bunny back in carrier

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • SirBunny
      Participant
      34 posts Send Private Message
        I am trying to move Moby to another room downstairs but he will not get back in his carrier. I put alfalfa hay, treats, and even an entire banana inside of it. It’s not very large, and I have to zip up the back to close it. He went in there when I first put a treat in there, but once I tried zipping it shut he freaked out and escaped. Now he refuses to go back in it, no matter what treats I put in there.

I have already moved his x pen and all of his belongings into the room downstairs. But I can’t get him to go in there. I am extremely frustrated… I tried just picking him up but he ran away and I don’t want to hurt him. 

Any advice? 

• SirBunny
        Participant

He associates his carrier with having to go to the vet, and also car rides, so it makes sense he doesn’t want to go back in there. But I have to move him downstairs. And in another month I am moving apartments so I will have to put him in there again, and by then he will hate it even more.

• SirBunny
          Participant

Its a front loading and top loading carrier, but I can’t really put him in the top either because he can easily just hop right out of it before I zip it shut. Do I just have to go buy a studier carrier with a door that doesn’t have to zip? it would be easier to shut the door before he gets out that way. But I don’t want to have to go spend more money, I am literally just moving him downstairs…

• Wick & Fable
            5782 posts Send Private Message

Is it a side zip where you can just shut the door and hold it with your hand while you zip? Wick has a zip carrier and I’ll just hold it shut while I zipper with the other hand.

Keeping the carrier open and in his environment constantly will help get him used to its presence. So in the future, I recommend just keeping it out and maybe even feeding him in it with no attempt of using it for transport.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• GlennTheLionhead
              Participant
              361 posts Send Private Message

Sometimes if you leave the room or watch in the distance they think your gone and get in.

Or you can be persistent and egging them on to get in but if your worried your over stressing them by constantly badgering them to get in then a good way to pick up a bunny (or most animals smaller than a dog) is to get a towel or a blanket and lightly drop this over them, it will confuse them for a minute so they stay still long enough for you to scoop them up. Scoop him up and quickly let him pop his head out so he can breath properly, a bit like a baby and quickly take him to the other room and let him go again, the towel should stop him from jumping out and escaping.

Just a little disclaimer, make sure you do this very carefully and gently with a breathable fabric and make sure your not trapping him so he’s suffocated in any way, make sure it’s done as quick as possible to save stressing him, also this should only be used as a very occasional tactic when it’s absolutely necessary.

This is a technique I was taught on a college animal management course and has been used for years, often as a technique to catch injured wild animals that don’t want human contact.

Good luck with moving your little bun

• GlennTheLionhead
                Participant

In the long run I agree with Wick, my buns hate the vets but I tried the trick of leaving the carrier in their space and their so used to it they forget every time and wander on in!
                  I’ve only ever had to use the blanket trick once after my girls spay to give her medication since I didn’t want to risk chasing her round and her injuring herself and possible damaging her wound

• SirBunny
                  Participant

Thankfully I was able to get him downstairs. I lined the inside of a laundry basket with a towel, put a banana in the back, and gently tipped it upward when he went inside it and was able to transport him.

I made sure to always have his carrier open and nearby, and I would often put hay and treats in there to get him used to it. This was the first time that he knew what I was doing when I put a treat in there. He might be more wary right now because I am temporarily living in my moms apartment, so a month ago I had to take him on an hour long drive to move him here, and he probably associates the carrier with that drive. Next month I am moving back, and I highly doubt he will go anyway near that carrier.

However I am most worried that if there is some sort of accident and I have to immediately put him in a carrier, how will I do that? If he gets injured or if there is a tornado and I have to move him quickly? I suppose the towel trick would be appropriate in that scenario…

• CinnamonPearl
                    Participant
                    69 posts Send Private Message

If there’s an emergency and you need to get your bunny in a carrier immediately, then force him. Throw a towel over him, pick him up quickly, and shove him in. It might be stressful for him, but consider this: Would you rather have your bunny a bit stressed from being shoved somewhere, or have his life at risk from an untreated injury or a tornado? The former is worth it in my opinion!

• GlennTheLionhead
                      Participant

That’s great you got him there in the end.

Yes the towel trick sounds a bit mean but my vet assured me it’s actually much less stressful than trying to pick them up and is good for emergencies or extremely difficult buns.

I think it really depends on your rabbits personality, some rabbits can love you to bits but will never let you pick them up and if they are driven to the vets or moved around occasionally they get too wise to be tricked.

Here is a useful Web page, a little way down the article it gives great tips on how to get your rabbits used to being held and accept it. It might allow you to pick up your bun in an emergency in a safe and stress free way.

http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-picking-rabbit-up.asp

However in my experience neither of my rabbits will let me pick them up at all, they will jump in my lap and snuggle up to my legs but are adimiant at staying grounded.

Good luck! Hopefully you can find a suitable way to approach this in an emergency

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Can’t get bunny back in carrier