Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Can we talk hay for a minute?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • JK
      Participant
      2223 posts Send Private Message

I asked this question on some other thread that really wasn’t on topic and since nobody responded I’d like to start a new topic!  I believe it was Gravehearted who referred someone to a link on teeth.  Can’t find it or I would add the link here. The article said that we should offer a variety of hay daily because different textures of different hays require different chewing mechanisms and bunnies teeth need this for good health. I have never heard this before and of course now am worried because I only give Edson timothy hay which I heard was the best.  He loves it.  I know other people have to give other kinds of hay for different reasons.   I would think that with greens, a few pellets and different sizes of hay in the timothy hay it would be fine.  Sorry I know this is long winded but I’m kinda worried now. Do you think it’s necessary to give a variety of hay?

• babybunsmum
        Participant
        3896 posts Send Private Message

hmmm… i’ve never heard of feeding different hays aside from trying to find out what they’ll eat if fussy.  now i’m interested to know more too. 

i actually have a hay blend that baby eats at a much slower pace than her timothy.  i bought the blend when i thought she was just not that interested in the timothy, but it turned out i just hadn’t waited long enough after reducing her pellets for her hay consumption to increase.  so – to not let the hay blend go to waist – i give her some of both.   i was going to do this only until the blend was gone.

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

I think it would be ideal to do that but it’s not always possible to do this. I think a variety in hay would be nice but there is not guarantee that you could get your rabbit to eat all the variety – after all we know how picky these buns can be.

It can also get costly to offer a wide variety in my opinion if your rabbit isn’t going to eat all the different blends.

I do love this idea if you can make it work though!

• JK
            Participant

True but I really want to know if it is necessary???

• MarkBun
              Participant
              2842 posts Send Private Message

I have fed Maryann nothing but Timothy Hay for the last 5+ years. A recent vet examination revealed that she’s beginning to show a slight malinclusion on her left side teeth. However, the vet says as long as I get it taken care of in the next 3 years, it should be just fine.

Now dutch dwarfs, actually all dwarf breeds, are more susceptible to teeth issues as their heads are bred too small for their teeth.

So, as far as teeth go, no I don’t believe it is necessary.

• JK
                Participant

So do you think there is some merit to feeding them a variety of hay?

• yoko916
                  Participant
                  2 posts Send Private Message

Hi knowltons4,
                    I recall reading the same thing! Although, I can’t remember what website I read the article, it was while I was researching "best hays to feed your rabbit".

In addition to what you said, I remember the article closing with, "…would you like to eat the same thing everyday?" 
                    Similar to betta fish, it’s better to feed them pellet food and bloodworms… it’s good to switch up the menu once in a while. This makes sense to me, which is why I am here. I’ve been feeding my Bunz Kaytee Brand Timothy Hay from Petsmart for years, and this last batch I just got had a lot of dust and is brown and it makes us both sneeze, and I’ve had enough of that after 2 bags, so I am going to shop around here and get him a good mix.

How old is your Bun?

A variety of fresh veggies, some fruits, Oxbow T pellets a few times a week and a good variety of Hay or even just fresh Timothy would be perfectly fine, I think. Also, chew toys will help your friend’s teeth and also eleviate boredom.

yoko

Posted By knowltons4 on 01/14/2008 3:59 PM

I asked this question on some other thread that really wasn’t on topic and since nobody responded I’d like to start a new topic!  I believe it was Gravehearted who referred someone to a link on teeth.  Can’t find it or I would add the link here. The article said that we should offer a variety of hay daily because different textures of different hays require different chewing mechanisms and bunnies teeth need this for good health. I have never heard this before and of course now am worried because I only give Edson timothy hay which I heard was the best.  He loves it.  I know other people have to give other kinds of hay for different reasons.   I would think that with greens, a few pellets and different sizes of hay in the timothy hay it would be fine.  Sorry I know this is long winded but I’m kinda worried now. Do you think it’s necessary to give a variety of hay?

• Scarlet_Rose
                    Participant
                    4293 posts Send Private Message

Well each variety has its own nutritional properties, well same nutrients but in varying amounts (protein, calcium, fiber, minerals). Since they do vary by variety of hay, if your rabbit were not getting additional nutrients from veggies and pellets, I think it would be a concern.  In short, I don’t think it is a bad idea but I really don’t think it is necessary especially if your rabbit has no teeth problems and is getting an otherwise balanced diet.

Here are a few articles;

Hay

Natural Nutrition I: The Importance of Fiber – This will show you nutritional content.

• JK
                      Participant

We must have read the same article! I’ll just have to find it.  Edson is 1yr-1-1/2.  Not sure of his exact age as we got him from a rescue and there was no background on him.  I guess now I’ll have to research this more.  I guess we could add a little variety to the timothy hay.  Edson is not a chewer & has no interest in toys either.  His teeth are perfect right now.  I hate to mess with a good thing. He really loves his timothy hay though. I get it from Bink Bunny and have been very pleased with it. Binky Bunny – what do you think about this variety issue????

• JK
                        Participant

Thanks Scarlet Rose.  I’ll check those articles out…

• Scarlet_Rose
                          Participant
                          4293 posts Send Private Message

No problem! : )

• Gravehearted
                            Participant
                            2428 posts Send Private Message

ha – I remember posted that, but for the life of me don’t know which thread it was on!  ok – I found it again! http://www.mybunny.org/info/dental_care.htm

I generally buy a big amount of timmy hay – but then smaller bags of things like oat, orchard grass or bunny brome for variety.  My bunnies also really love the bunny blend hay from Binky Bunny, which is a nice mix of hays.  I know for a while I was buying hay at a horsie hay place and they had hay blends too.

• Lisa_43
                              Participant
                              1499 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for that Gravehearted; I have printed that off for my rabbit file of important information.

• JK
                                Participant

Thank you Gravehearted!  I’m glad even you couldn’t find it right off the bat!  Anyway do you just mix in a little of the other with the timothy then?

• Gravehearted
                                  Participant
                                  2428 posts Send Private Message

I usually just switch off hays – one night timmy hay, another night oat – but you could just mix them on the same night if you want.
                                    bunnies really seem to like the little wheat heads in the oat hay, mine always pick them out first

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Can we talk hay for a minute?