Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Can tiny cysts be lanced?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Jadeo09
      Participant
      83 posts Send Private Message

Hi

As some of you may remember my rabbit has been having problems with stasis. We think we have realised what originally caused her to stop eating. She has a lump that she’s had monitored for about 2 years that was too small for a sample to be taken. We have since had a sample anylised when it got bigger a month ago. It was mainly inflammation and no sign of infection.

Now the lump has gotten bigger, about 5mm again, after we stopped treating it with hibiscrub(as instructed by the vet)

As you can see it’s got a white head on it. I’ve read some conflicting info about cysts. Some say to lance some say to surgically remove.

I’m wondering if any of you have had any success with healing such a tiny cyst that didn’t involve surgery.

As she’s 10 this year we’re trying to avoid surgery risks.

I would be ever so grateful for any advice any of you may have.

Jade

• Dface
        Participant
        1084 posts Send Private Message

This is most certainly a conversation you will want to have with your vet, and possibly look around for another professional opinion if you can.

Unlike in other animals, rabbits create a very thick, viscous pus, so lancing it likely wont actually clean it out and the problem will recour. Another issue is that on the surface it looks small, but rabbit pus can and does create large spreading abscesses, so I would very much recommend getting a  vet to take a goood look at it to ensure that it hasnt spread deeper.

Most times you want to remove pus from a rabbit, it takes a lot of wound flushing and irrigation of the site to ensure that there is no residual “goo” left that will prevent healing later on.

• Jadeo09
            Participant

Hi

Thanks so much for your help

Sorry for the late reply. I couldnt get into my account for some reason. It was locked, possibly too many incorrect password attempts.

She still has the lump. It keeps coming to the surface and bursting after I apply vaseline and heat.

She’s old and fragile so the vet is reluctant to remove via surgery. A dermatologist has had a look at it, at the time she had dermatitis from the warm compress that I had to keep putting on and they were more concerned by that.

• LBJ10
            16870 posts Send Private Message

So the vet was able to get a sample? Was it thick pus (which is typical) or was it liquid? As Dface said, rabbit pus is very thick. Lancing it may remove what is superficially there near the surface, but it usually isn’t enough to clean things out completely. There is a high rate of recurrence, that’s why it is recommended that abscesses be surgically removed. And… since this is on her face, it’s highly likely that teeth are involved. The abscess is simply secondary to the actual problem.

• Jadeo09
                Participant

Thanks for your help lbj10

As I said to dface I’m sorry I was blocked out if my account and only just got back into this one.

When they took a sample initially it was mainly inflammatory cells and very few “suspect”cells.

It then developed pus, which is very thick unless you warm it up first and it becomes very stringy. It keeps coming to the surface and bursting.

She has recently had her teeth burred and the problem with her infection is persisting.

Th vet is reluctant to remove it especially at thr moment as she is in poor health due to her ongoing digestive problems and due to her age and she had an abnormal kidney/liver blood results due to gi stasis recently.

I keep managing to get it to come to the surface, which eased her pain, but it keeps coming back sadly

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Can tiny cysts be lanced?