Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Can rabbits have pus in their eye/nose?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • 5Bunnies1House
      Participant
      10 posts Send Private Message

Mopsy our rabbit, has sneezed a lot, and her eye was incredibly wet.

We went to the vet who flushed out her eye and nasal cavity (through some hole inside her bottom eyelid), called me in to show me how much “pus” came out of her nose… then gave me eye drops Tiacil solution and also Metacam for dogs vis mouth, which he assured me is safe for rabbits when in small doses

We went for a check up a week later and about the same amount of “pus” came out, he told me to continue with the drops.

But now that im googling around… nothing comes up when i check for pus in rabbits, nor did he do ANYTHING correctly to identify if my rabbit has snuffles or issues with her teeth?

Am I being crazy or are blogs using fancy words for pus and the vet just dumbed it down for me?

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits can have a local infection in the tearduct itself, causing it to plug up, without any other health issue, so the approach your vet is taking is correct. Uncomplicated cases will resolve with the treatment your bun has been given. Repeat treatment is often needed. Some vets would combine the drops with oral antibiotics. Antibiotics policy varies greatly between vet clinics and areas/states/countries though. Some wont give oral antibiotics without a culture.

If this persists, more investigation will be needed. Tooth roots are probably what youd be looking at next.

https://www.vetstream.com/treat/lapis/freeform/eye-dacryocystitis

• 5Bunnies1House
            Participant
            10 posts Send Private Message

I guess the vet didn’t really explain it well, and calling it pus made it seem a bit more deadly to me, unsure why.

We are financially unable to bring her back into the vets (as everything thus far cost us £200) so we will continue with the eye drops and keeping a very close eye on her. Been up all night listening in for a sneeze or to see if her attitude has changed.

Hopefully we can bring her in for a last visit when we get paid and its just a checkup.

thank you for the help!

• Bam
            16877 posts Send Private Message

Fingers crossed the drops will help now! If they don’t, maybe you could ask for a prescription for oral antibiotics, without having to take the bun to be seen? There are some oral antibiotics for rabbits that are not very pricey. You could ask and explain the money situation. Vets can often be  understanding, and they have seen him recently.

• LBJ10
              16908 posts Send Private Message

Bam is correct. The vet prescribed the right treatment given the information that had. Hopefully the eye drops will clear it up. If not, oral antibiotics are not very expensive. If the problem persists, then tooth root issues would be the next thing to explore.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Can rabbits have pus in their eye/nose?