Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Can Rabbits Eat Lawn Grass??

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Peanutthebunny
      Participant
      239 posts Send Private Message

Hi Everybody

when i get rabbits (which will hopefully be next year!! fingers crossed) i will probably be allowed to free roam them in a room. And i want to hide their litter box. I want to make a dog style litter box house. i want to have a ramp that goes onto the roof of it with trays of grass so my question is “can i give my rabbit grass that came from grass seeds that had pesticides??”

• Bu20055
        Participant
        246 posts Send Private Message

If it had pesticides, no. Pesticide free lawn grass, however, is safe I believe.

• Bu20055
          Participant

Though you cannot feed grass that has just been mowed or clipping from mowing. The lawn mower can leave oil in the grass and mowing speeds up the fermentation process.

• DanaNM
            8935 posts Send Private Message

Agreed. You don’t want to use something that had pesticides on it at some point, even if it’s just the seeds. Organic seeds would be safe though. A common grass to sprout for bunnies is wheat grass (AKA cat grass). You can get the seeds in bulk at health food stores.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Peanutthebunny
              Participant
              239 posts Send Private Message

ok thankyou 🙂

• Bu20055
                Participant

To add on to what Dana said just make sure it’s cat GRASS and not cat NIP.

• prince dorian the bun
                  Participant
                  743 posts Send Private Message

though if they do eat a bit of catnip it’s not biggy… does not seem to affect them the way it does cats either! I had to research after Dorian got into a batch :). It is in the mint family, which is a super easy plant to grow for buns to munch on, parsley is a good option too. You can often find both for pretty cheap at grocery stores. I usually get the pre-grown wheat or cat grass squares for Dorian, they last a while as he just grazes the top and then they grow back for a bit, friend’s bunny however just ripped out whole plant and destroyed it in other 10 minutes so your mileage may vary. I have tried seeds too, but it was less successful than I had hoped.

• shasbun
                    Participant
                    23 posts Send Private Message

If it has pesticides, that wouldn’t be safe. Also watch out for lawn clippings, since those are poisonous. And lastly, not all types of grass is safe for bunnies, so just double check what type of grass it is.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Can Rabbits Eat Lawn Grass??