Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Can rabbits do stairs

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
    • apanda
      Participant
      139 posts Send Private Message

Since Truffles has been super good about peeing only in a litter box, (despite being 2 weeks away from his neuter still!) I decided to increase his territory to include the upstairs bathroom and the landing outside my and my housemates rooms. So Truffle’s stomping ground has basically doubled! But not I was wondering: can bunnies do stairs? Truffles is a Holland Lop, about 5 pounds, so it SEEMS like he should be able to do them, the aren’t especially steep or slippery they have a nice grippy cheap rubber covering. What do you guys think?

• sarah bowden
        Participant
        85 posts Send Private Message

I wondered the same thing. I had my rabbit Gus for about 2 months and never once did he try to go up the steps. After about a week of Helen living here we couldn’t keep them off the steps. Sometimes they would run up and down them just for fun. Our staircase is hardwood flooring too. So I’d bet that if your bun likes to explore and wants to go up the steps he will

• Scarlet_Rose
          Participant
          4293 posts Send Private Message

Yes some rabbits will do stairs but a lot do not. With heights it is best to let them jump up first so they know how “high” they are. Rabbits are not too keen on learning how far down something is. My two will not do stairs and sometimes it also depends if there is traction or not.

I also wanted to take a moment and give a word of caution. I have known rabbits that have unknowingly leapt to their deaths. In one instance a rabbit had access to a balcony at an apartment and the owner had a patio set up next to the rail (it was a wide rail). Well the rabbit jumped up atop the chair, then a table and then onto the rail and, assuming the landing on the other side of the rail was the same distance down, fell several stories to its death. The lesson? A rabbit “learns” how far to jump or how far down things are and cannot really tell like us humans can and so some rabbits are more cautious and hesitate at stairs.

• bunnytowne
            Participant
            7537 posts Send Private Message

a rabbits vision is not all that good. when I take mine to the river on his leash at all times I keep him well away from the edge cuz I dont’ want him fallin  in. I let him peek over a side board at the water and help him  on tight leash and he did not seem to interested in jumping however I am taking no chances. and the window screens just fall out you blow on them so hubby and I screwed them in real real good I cannot even slap them out now so I know Cotton won’t be falling 2 stories now. I am so overprotective. stairs sound like good exercise. just be sure he can’t jump off the side from the top as the previous post states accidents happen.

• Hedi
              Participant
              969 posts Send Private Message

All four of our buns do fine with stairs. I have noticed though that they all tend to go up and down diagonally so they do better when they can see that the stairs are bordered on both sides by a wall.

• Gravehearted
                Participant
                2428 posts Send Private Message

glad to hear that he’s doing so well with his box training.

two of my bunnies loved racing up and down the carpeted stairs at my old house and flopping on the landing. however, Hareiette would sometimes climb them, but generally preferred to stay on the first floor. just make sure everyone in the house is on bun watch as to avoid stepping on him!

• kimberleyanddarren
                  Participant
                  2520 posts Send Private Message

hopscotch does well with the sstairs in fact he does it so quick he is up the stairs and in my bedroom before i can get off the sofa!!

• skunklionshow
                    Participant
                    1257 posts Send Private Message

It was my understanding that some don’t like the stairs b/c they aren’t sure what is on the other side of those steps.  At our school….Trigger was the stair king.  He had no fear and went anywhere anytime he wanted.  In our apt, Jessica loves the stairs.  I think its b/c she can run like a fool up/down to get away from me.  Leo is much more tentative.  I’ve tried putting him on the stairs and he just sits on the same step forever, even if he sees Jessi running up/down.

• Staja
                      Participant
                      59 posts Send Private Message

Warren’s only been on the stairs a few times, because I’m scared he’s going to fall down them – we have wooden stairs with no runner, and no traction. The few times he’s been on them, he’s been ok, but a little slow hopping up. When he tries to hop down, is when I get nervous, becaue his bunny butt is so big, and the stairs seem kinda narrow. Also, I’m used to seeing my cats slide up and down the stairs when they really get going, and don’t want them to take Warren out with them =)  (I have the world’s most graceless cats)

• Cadbury
                        Participant
                        161 posts Send Private Message

Cadbury loves the stairs! But they are carpeted, so traction isn’t a problem.

• wendyzski
                          Participant
                          1312 posts Send Private Message

The first week I had her, Pepper climbed up a LADDER! 

to be fair, it was propped next to a table of yummies….

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                            Participant
                            12067 posts Send Private Message

The first time Kokanee saw stairs, she growled at them!!! And charged them! LOL

• apanda
                              Participant
                              139 posts Send Private Message

well for an update:

the traction is definitely not a problem as it is that grooved rubber material made to have more traction. hardest thing to clean EVER!

also its enclosed with walls but that was a good point. my house at home is enclosed with a railing so I might have to put some mesh inbetween bars just in case.

since me and Truffles live upstairs, he hasn’t been able to go up and then down. I tried putting him one step down but he was NOT AMUSED. hehe. I guess I’ll give him some time, maybe I’ll set up an enclosure at the foot of the stairs and see if he’ll go up (noone else is in the house right now so he won’t get stepped on).

• kimberleyanddarren
                                Participant

yes it will take time keep trting you will get ther keep us updated!

• Scarlet_Rose
                                  Participant
                                  4293 posts Send Private Message

I think that’s a great idea apanda!  Let us know how things progress!

• KatnipCrzy
                                    Participant
                                    2981 posts Send Private Message

I won’t let our bunny try the steps as I am afraid that one of our dogs might hurt her by accident.  They fly up and down the steps if they think someone is at the door, or they are going outside or for any other reason.  I live in a quadplex- so I have 3 short flights of steps throughout the house.  I don’t think the dogs would look for her there.  Even  the cats know when they hear  the dogs come running to get out of the immediate pathway- especially on stairs.

But if I did not have dogs that could hurt her- I would let her try them.  But I don’t want to teach her just in case.  The dogs are wonderful with her otherwise- they love when she is out for playtime- they sit and wait for poos.  And when she is groundlevel in her condo- they are more interested in her poo and her food pellets.  Cotton shows no reaction when the dogs go barreling by her pen/condo.

• kimberleyanddarren
                                      Participant

it is kinda cute watchin a bunny hop up the stairs, i am hopefully going to be moving to a new apartment soon with no stairs and so no more cute bunny hopping up stairs i am looking forward to it because bunny will have his own room!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                        Participant
                                        12067 posts Send Private Message

LOL once Kokanee loved stairs she’d learned them she’d charge up and down them (they were at my boyfriends mom’s house, while she looked after her during our move-we don’t actually live with any stairs); My bfs mom tried to block her from using them and Kokanee would fiercely waggle her tail and dart around her…She loved the stairs once she learned them!

• LittlePuffyTail
                                          18092 posts Send Private Message

I was amazed the first time I saw Stormy do stairs! I couldn’t believe how fast he could zoom up and down them. He can beat me and he’s like 2 pounds!!!!

Viewing 18 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Can rabbits do stairs