Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE can rabbits be allergic to themselves?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • Beka27
      Participant
      16016 posts Send Private Message

this is a rediculous question i’m sure… but i’ve noticed an increase in the number of bunny sneezes since she’s been shedding.  there’s no discharge from her nose or eyes.  i notice it more when she’s out of her cage running around.  she’ll even sneeze quickly a few times in a row.  but i haven’t taken her to the vet for this b/c there’s no discharge.  what does everyone think?

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

I’m not certain they can actually be allergic to themselves but perhaps the shedding is causing her to sneeze because of more irritants in the air. My vet says sneezing in rabbits is normal just like with humans (as long as there’s no discharge or an unusual amount of discharge) when there are changes in the environment.

• Beka27
          Participant

i figured with no discharge there was no illness… but then i was second guessing myself.  thanks.  i am only brushing her once a day while she sheds… should i do it more often?

• Sarita
            Participant
            18851 posts Send Private Message

I think once a day should be fine and that may be all that you and she can tolerate too :~)

• Ash
              Participant
              165 posts Send Private Message

after you brush her try a damp wash cloth to get the excess loose hair, I read it from one bunny site but I’ve looked at so many I can’t remember the name. lol. that might help also with the extra hair

• Beka27
                Participant

^^^great idea… thanks!  hadn’t thought of doing that.

• Scarlet_Rose
                  Participant
                  4293 posts Send Private Message

Sometimes the dust from the hay can also collect in their fur and cause allergies (sort of making them allergic to themselves), another thing I have to be careful with on Daffodil. I use a damp cloth after a thorough brushing, like was already suggested. But also the fur from moulting with shed and get in their little noses and cause a tickle and sneeze too.

• babybunsmum
                    Participant
                    3896 posts Send Private Message

that would make sense… as i get to the end of a bag of hay there’s usually a lot more dust. 

question… what type of brush do you all use?  i’ve tried a couple diff kinds without much satisfaction.  either they’re too hard so i can’t push down hard enough to get much hair (for fear of scraping her skin with the bristles) or they’re too soft & don’t grab any hair

• Beka27
                      Participant

i use a soft bristled brush (it looks like one of those baby brushes.)  it may not be doing a good enough job tho because even after i brush her i’m still getting quite a bit of fur.  i have been doing the wet towel thing and i think it helps a great deal.  also, i am brushing the "wrong way" to get up more of the loose fur.  it doesn’t bother her which way i brush, so i figure it’s okay.  i’m gonna go to the store either today or tomorrow and see what other kinds of brushes or combs are available.

• MooBunnay
                        Participant
                        3087 posts Send Private Message

I use those brushes that are made of rubber – the ones where the “bristles” are kind of large rubber bristles. I use that, and brush the wrong way first, then the right way to get the fur off. I feel best about that kind of brush because its pretty unlikely to damage their thin skin, and its also fairly easy to clean off.

Also, Beka, I have a sneezy bunny that is quite allergic to changes in his environment as well. When Brian first got him the lady we got him from was like “he’s SNEEZING? o woe he is going to die” and all dramatic, so my poor fiance spent the night extremely upset because he thought he was going to lose his bunny. Well, the bunny is still around and still sneezes a couple times a day, and is perfectly healthy and enjoys harassing me daily with love nips I think the real sign is the discharge. I fostered two babies that had sneezes with discharge, and that was extremely hard on them. I had to wake up 2-3 times per night when I heard them having a sneezing fit so that I could wipe their noses and help them breathe easier.

• Scarlet_Rose
                          Participant
                          4293 posts Send Private Message

I use a baby brush too! You can also find some really soft ones in the dog grooming section that are larger.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE can rabbits be allergic to themselves?