Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Can rabbit live without veggies?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • HareIvoryWhiskers
      Participant
      40 posts Send Private Message

I know the answer is probably ‘no’. But when I bring this up to my dad and step mom they say that there’s not enough money for veggies. (But there was enough for emergency vets appointment???? –_–; ) My bunnies have been doing great on hay and pellets only with a few treats here and there. But I still worry about them. I told my step mom to pick up some spring mixes but she hasn’t yet. She says they all have cabbage in them but I proved that’s not true??? Anywho, can bunnies live without veggies?

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits can live without veggies, as long as they get good quality hay and a moderate amount of pellets. Veggies are rather more enrichment than important nutrition-wise. Rabbits are grass eaters, their bodies incl their teeth are adapted to a diet consisting of plenty of grass. (Hay is, as you know, dried grass). There are rabbits that get stomach upset from veggies, so they cant have any. Pellets ensure that the bun get all the vitamins and minerals and protein it needs, but should be given in moderatipn so the bun doesnt get fat or fills up on pellets so its not interested in hay.

Maybe your buns could have some of the veggie parts that the humans cut off throw away. Like the tougher stalks of parsley, the leaves of stalk celery (they’re very bitter for humans but rabbits like them) or carrot tops. It’d be healthy treats.

• LBJ10
          16908 posts Send Private Message

Short answer – Yes. Veggies are a great addition to a rabbit’s diet. They add variety and enrichment, plus additional nutrients. However, they are not the most important part of a healthy diet. Hay should make up the bulk of what your bunny is eating.

• Vicky
            Participant
            205 posts Send Private Message

My bun can’t have veggies at all. She has very sensitive stomach so her diet consist of hay, pellets and some dried herbs and flowers. She is a happy bunny.

• DanaNM
              8935 posts Send Private Message

Agree with others, they are nice enrichment, but not 100% necessary.

Spring mix tends to be on the expensive side as far as bun veggies go.

A cheaper alternative is romaine. Cilantro is also usually pretty cheap in the spring and summer. You can also grow things for them yourself. It’s actually very easy to grow lettuce from seed indoors. You can even use an old spring mix container as your planter box and sprout your own spring mix.  Another fun thing is to take cut off carrot tops and sprout them for the greens. You just take the cut carrot tops and place them on a moist paper towel. Keep the towel wet consistently and the tops will start sprouting.

There are also a number of wild plants and weeds that are great for bunnies, as long as you can collect them in an area that is not close to roads or sprayed with pesticides. Dandelion, sow thistle, and plantain (both narrow and broad leaf) are all common weeds that bunnies love. You may even find fennel growing as a weed in the spring. Just be sure to double check your identification (don’t feed if not 100% sure), and introduce any new foods very gradually.

But yes don’t stress! It’s great that they were willing to pay for the ER vet so I think they would appreciate it if you came up with some nice solutions to save money elsewhere.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Can rabbit live without veggies?