Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Can Rabbit break their ears?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • GrayDustie
      Participant
      9 posts Send Private Message

I’m currently fostering 4 baby bunnies (and their mamma bunny) they are 2 months old and brothers, today I saw that one of them has a floppy ear, they are not Lops, and was wondering if their ears could break? He doesn’t seem to be able to keep it up and it flops around when he walks, other than that he seems fine, still eating and playing, they are still nursing and sometimes kick each other in order to nurse, could he have damaged it that way?

• Bam
        16835 posts Send Private Message

They cant exactly break their ears, but they can hurt the muscles that keep them upright. I had a bun that got a droopy ear after a fight with another bun. It took like a week for it to come up again. There was no visible damage to the ear.

• Wick & Fable
          5770 posts Send Private Message

Agreed with @Bam — “breaking” their ears is not really something we see with rabbits as opposed to them injuring their ears, resulting in a change in its shape/composition.

I’ve seen droopy ears associated with malnutrition, and it can occur if there is an ear infection in the “lopped” ear.

I will mention that, unless you 100% know the father, it could be normal lopping of ears– at the rescue I volunteer for, we’ve definitely fostered litters with mixes of ear upright/flops across the babies due to natural genetics.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• GrayDustie
              Participant
              9 posts Send Private Message

Is there anything I can do to help him heal? The dad bun isn’t a Lop, neither is the mom, I have also seen the ears in Lop bunnies and his looks just flopped. My mom also informed me that apparently he was in a weird position while feeding and after he finished is when we noticed the flopped ear, it was also red at the base but no other type o damage can be seen.

• LBJ10
              16869 posts Send Private Message

The cartilage that supports their ears can be damaged too. Nerve damage or inflammation that puts pressure on the nerves can also cause an ear to droop. But… I think the most likely scenario here is a little lop got mixed into the bloodline. This causes a “helicopter” look, where the ear doesn’t completely flop over.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Can Rabbit break their ears?