Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Can opposites attract?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • Minty
      Participant
      338 posts Send Private Message

As I have previously posted, I recently acquired a new bun to hopefully bond with Sully somewhere down the line. However, I am noticing more and more how opposite their personalities are. For all you bunny bonders out there, have you found that opposites attract with bunny personalities, or do bunnies like companions that are similar to themselves? Or is this completely illogical thinking? 

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

I’m not sure what you mean by them being opposites. Can you explain more about their personalities?

Also keep in mind that baby bunnies “pre-speuter” may be nothing like how they are after they are altered and grown-up.

• Deleted User
          Participant
          22064 posts Send Private Message

It is too early to say what your new rabbit’s personality will be like, as Beka posted.
            I don’t know if it matters for rabbits to be similar or different, but I know that bonding young rabbits to adult ones can be full of surprises.

• Minty
            Participant

Here is what I posted in my other thread about their personalities:

He sure is a feisty little guy… quite different from lazy and cuddly Sully lol! He binkies and shoots around like crazy, and will even nip my leg if I am in his way (which I am not too happy about and stamp my foot at him and ‘nip’ him in the bum with my fingers. Anyone know how I can discourage this behaviour?) He is so curious, and as soon as I come in the room he is at the front of his Xpen. He is usually more calm during the day and really enjoys head rubs when loafing. He doesn’t mind being handled at all, he can just get squirmy if I’m not holding him the right way. This is only his third day here and i’ve already learned all of this about him! He really is outgoing, maybe this is a mini rex personality? He has definitely made himself at home and doesn’t seem phased by anything thrown at him.

Sully is such a chubby and lazy little guy… He likes to lounge around a lot and will sit nice and still for some cuddles and kisses and will come when I call him. When I’m holding him he is always still and never struggles. He bonks me with his nose if he thinks I’m in his way, but I don’t think he would ever bite. He doesn’t seem to have a mean bone in his body! He is definitely more shy but I have built a bond with him and it was well worth it. It has taken him about two months to fully settle in a new home with all the new sounds, smells, and sights, but he really is an affectionate guy and he helped me to ‘learn’ how to bond with a bunny!

It’s nice to have the best of both worlds. I have my chilled out little lop and my feisty curious little rex. I’m kind of glad, I think if I had two lazy buns like Sully it might be a bit boring, but if I had two feisty buns then it would be too much! Does anyone else feel the same way about their buns? Who knows if they will ever be the right fit for a bond, either way i love them both and they are staying with me!

Sully isn’t that old, he’s 7 months. However, I’m hoping as Frankie matures he will mellow out a bit.

• Deleted User
              Participant

Sullysmom, I am sensing some bonding apprehension in your post.
                Your rabbits are quite typical for what they are: a mini rex kit is feisty for sure, they have a reputation for being busy and hyper. Your lop is still young, too, but more settled in his ways which is good so you at least know how to read him.
                In my experience, two males tend to bond quite nicely, especially if it is their first bond. They will like the company. They may have some tiffs in the beginning but you can use some stress techniques to correct those. Really, you are getting ahead of yoursef here — don’t worry!

• Minty
                Participant

Yes, I am definitely apprehensive and nervous for what is to come! I already am enjoying spending time with each bun one on one, I wouldn’t want things to change too much once they are bonded. I have a vet who will do neuters at 3 months so it is about another month and a half before any real bonding can begin. I can just imagine Frankie getting on Sully’s nerves, as he is so busy!

• Deleted User
                  Participant

Posted By SullysMum on 05/12/2010 08:19 AM
                      I can just imagine Frankie getting on Sully’s nerves, as he is so busy!

He might. Sully will let him know, though, and as Frankie matures he will learn not to bug Sully. On the upside, living with a mini rex is never boring.

• Beka27
                    Participant
                    16016 posts Send Private Message

Welcome to the “Laid-Back Lop + Feisty Mini Rex” club. You will have much company!

• Deleted User
                      Participant

Hehe, Max and Meadow, I forgot that Max was a lop! Beka, I butt out now!

• lwayne
                        Participant
                        428 posts Send Private Message

Sounds like Arduina (reg. rex) and Leo (agouti mix with upright ears). Arduina is quite hyper and bold while Leo is chill (and well behaved!). I’m in the process of bonding them, I’ll let you know how it goes.

• Elrohwen
                          Participant
                          7318 posts Send Private Message

My two are fairly opposite. Like most of the other pairs here, my boy is the laid back and lazy one while my girl is a bit hyper active and much braver.

eta: Both are lops. One holland and one mini.

• Binkles
                            Participant
                            823 posts Send Private Message

I’m exactly the same except Peter (laid back) is some kind of an English Spot mix (I think?) and Little-Bit (hyper and alert) is a Lionhead mix.

• Minty
                              Participant

I didn’t know there were so many members in the “Laid-Back Lop + Feisty Mini Rex” club, as Beka put it! (or any other laid back + feisty bun for that matter) I really do think it is the best of both worlds! I’m also glad to hear many buns of these personalities were able to bond. Sully and Frankie seem to be enjoying each others company. They have sniffed each other through the cage bars and touched noses without incident. (of course I was watching very closely and was ready to push them away if one attempted to bite.) Sully is also choosing to lay down on the side of the cage closest to Frankie, when before he favoured the opposite side. I am excited for Frankie’s neuter and to finally attempt bonding! Then they can be free range in my room and I won’t have Xpens everywhere!

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Can opposites attract?