Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Can Finn get sick from me?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    • PocketFaeries
      Participant
      81 posts Send Private Message

Well, if I haven’t posted a lot yesterday and today here it’s because I’ve been sick as a proverbial dog.

I literally slept until my husband got home, at 6 PM, tonight.  It’s your basic evil head/chest cold.  I was wondering if there is any danger of Finn getting sick because of my cold.  Is this possible or are our variations of illness incompatible with bunny systems (I hope so)?   I don’t want my little sugarbun to get sick because of me!

• Gravehearted
        Participant
        2428 posts Send Private Message

ooo I really hope you’ll be feeling MUCH better soon. Don’t worry – people colds aren’t contagious to bunnies.

• PocketFaeries
          Participant

Oh, thank goodness, Gravehearted. I’m so glad Finn can’t catch my cold because I think I look forward to hand-feeding little carrot pieces as an evening treat more than Finn does! LOL  I am supposed to be going to a gathering for members (I am a mod) for another animal forum this weekend…that’s in three days…and I am sick, sick, sniffly miserable sick.   I am just doing all I can to heal quickly so that I can go!

PS-That avatar of yours is fantastic..I love it!

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

I know this is unrelated to this thread but PocketFaeries, I saw the pics of your sugar gliders.  Too cute, I had no idea that their species is from Australia. Why is it the females cost more than the males?

• Sarita
              Participant
              18851 posts Send Private Message

I hope you feel better soon – healthy vibes to you.

• Floppy
                Participant
                490 posts Send Private Message

haha I was sick a few weeks ago…and I asked this question as well.

Funny how I didn’t care if my boyfriend got sick, I was more worried about my bun!

lol…Hope you feel better soon!

• Spacehopper
                  Participant
                  540 posts Send Private Message

Ha Floppy that’s EXACTLY how I am!! I still have a rotten cough and cold (3 weeks now), no sympathy from the boyfriend, not a moments peace & quiet either “stop moaning, you’ve only got a cold”…. Imagine my delight when last week he was complaining how rough he felt and he’d caught my lurgy. I didn’t do anything to hide my joy at this fact either 🙂 I find my Bum & Bean cheer me up no end when i’m poorly. I bet Finn is absolutely LOVING having a sick mummy at home with him all day!!!! Get well soon Mrs!!x

• Thumpers_Mom
                    Participant
                    171 posts Send Private Message

Oh…I’ve been lucky that I haven’t gotten sick yet since I’ve gotten Thumper but this is good to know. I’m sure I would have been here asking the same questions too!

Hope you feel better soon.

• Gravehearted
                      Participant
                      2428 posts Send Private Message

I tell my bunnies they have to make soup for me when I’m sick!

The bunny is my avatar is Hareiette 🙂 One of her myspace friends made her a special photo wearing her wizard’s hat.

• PocketFaeries
                        Participant

Thanks so much, everyone!  I am feeling a *bit* better today, so hopefully by Friday I’ll be able to go somewhere!

Scarlet Rose, with sugar gliders and females costing more, I posed your question to my fellow glider friends at http://www.glidersanonymous.com and what I got back was that many types of animals call for a higher price in females because the females can carry babies.  You can have males and not profit from them without a female to carry the babies, so it has to do with breeding concerns as best as we could tell.  When you have a female, you have the capacity to stud with a boy and create offspring (called "joeys" in the glider world).  This is often standard practice with many types of animals (dogs, hedgehogs, etc.).   The owner of the glider site I mod for does not charge more for females.  I do not breed…I just love my gliders as my family!   I suppose it’s intended to deter those who want to breed impulsively by making it cost more.

Aren’t they the cutest ever!??

• Scarlet_Rose
                          Participant

Thank you for the info! I was thinking that about the breeding part.  They are the cutest ever and I wonder, do you spay and neuter them?  How do you prevent a litter?

• PocketFaeries
                            Participant

Yes, quite right, you do neuter the males!  The females, however, are not to be spayed because the operation is extremely complex and dangerous to their tiny little bodies. By neutering males, a pair of two male/female gliders will not reproduce.  You can introduce same sex pairs and/or colonies (up to five gliders together) as they would in nature, but it is always critical to neuter the males, even if they will be kept with other males.

There is a BIG problem with gliders in the U.S. in need of rescue and rehome care due to careless ownership and not neutering males. It is very, very sad…and there are literally hundreds and hundreds of gliders being born who are unwanted…and then they mate with each other and cause inbreeding and health concerns.  Sugar gliders are a very complex companion animal, but for the person who is knowledgeable, responsible, and has a lot of time and attention to devote to these little ones for the next 10 to 15 years (their average life span in captivity), they are absolute angels.

They are truly brilliant, beautiful, and heartwarming little creatures and my life in infinitely enriched because of their presence.   I have to attach a pic of them now…here are my little angels, Trinket and Spark, playing in their playhouse ( a preschool toy for babies to put blocks in, turned "house" for my gliders). -Jen

11010473880571.jpg

• Scarlet_Rose
                              Participant

Jen, I just can’t get enough of them, I am going to have to read up about them and maybe one day I’ll adopt one too! I was really wondering about the female being spayed because they are such tiny little elfin creatures. They are so darn cute!!! That is just so sad about pet overpopulation, the same is true with any animal and it makes me really sad. I am sure I am going to have a ton of questions. I am so curious about them and that is such a cute "home" you have for Trinket & Spark! I may have to join that forum too!   I can so see how your life is enriched by them. With the addition of any animal into a family comes a more joyful ife!

• PocketFaeries
                                Participant

Scarlet Rose, my darling, you should know that nothing brings a smile to my face more than talking about sugar gliders, so you can ask and ask and ask away with any questions and I’ll never get tired of answering! LOL 

You most definitely are welcome to join the fun at Glider’s Anonymous…it’s the same type of sincere, caring, delightful forum as Binky Bunny…but for gliders!    I could not be a moderator somewhere if I didn’t love it, and that forum is like a silly second home to me!  I’m so tickled with glee that you can’t get enough of gliders…they are truly the most remarkable animals I’ve ever met, and I’ve met many!  This does not take away from my love for my precious dogs or Finn…but there is something so uniquely magical about gliders…really.

Ask questions all you want…here, there, anywhere…I’ll be more than happy to answer them…especially if I can help prepare you for caregiving for some little suggies oneday! Love, Jen

PS…here’s another pic…this is Trinket, she’s saying "hiya" with a papaya!

1101020256071.jpg

• Scarlet_Rose
                                  Participant

Awe that picture of Trinket made me melt! Of course none of your other animals will take a backseat and Finn the wonder bun, saved from that horror of a county fair.  I think to spare everyone the sugar glider questions, I’ll visit your board. But first I plan on reading a lot more about them. Thank you so much Jen!  They are just too darn cute and precious!

• Spacehopper
                                    Participant
                                    540 posts Send Private Message

Dear god woman, stop with those pictures! They are just distracting me from my work, they’re sooo cute!!

• Beka27
                                      Participant
                                      16016 posts Send Private Message

i’m not sure i’ve ever actually seen a sugar glider!  they are too adorable!  quite a long lifespan too… wow!

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Can Finn get sick from me?