Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Can chewing cardboard be bad?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Crystal
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

I have a rabbit who is having another round of stasis. I am starting to think it may be related to the cardboard hidey boxes/maze. It seemed like when I removed them, she stopped having issues and now that I have put them back she has started having problems again. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I hate to remove them, because she really likes her maze and boxes, but I also am tired of worrying about her every time she goes through this. Not to mention the vet costs.  🙁

• Bu20055
        Participant
        246 posts Send Private Message

The fact that she’s chewing cardboard isn’t a problem, but problems arise when they eat too much cardboard (which is what I’m guessing is happening). With a belly full of cardboard, they don’t have room for all the hay they need to keep their systems moving steadily. The rescue warned me of this with my girl, but we’ve been pretty good so far. She only has a couple small cardboard toys in her pen and has bigger cardboard houses in her free roam space (where she roams in the day time). Does she have access to the cardboard toys 24/7? Perhaps restricting her access could fix the problem because she’ll be eating less overall.

• Bu20055
          Participant
          246 posts Send Private Message

I also took a away one of her houses that she was eating a lot more than the others because I was worried about how much she was eating. After I took it away her poops got much nicer and she started eating more hay. Is there any of the toys she eats less than the others that you could keep using for her?

• Crystal
            Participant
            3 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for the info. That makes sense. So I will need to limit her access. She has a cardboard hidey box and a maze. I need to come up with some other type of house for her maybe from wood or plastic.   It is just the boxes are so cheap and of course she likes to do her bunstruction. She has toilet paper hay rolls she likes also but I don’t think those are the problem..  They have cardboard tunnels as well that she doesn’t chew on as much. I can get those back out too. Hopefully I can prevent this from happening again or at least quite so frequently. This is the second time this month. My other bun doesn’t really chew on things like this one does.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Can chewing cardboard be bad?