Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Can bunnies have this?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • BunnyLass568
      Participant
      446 posts Send Private Message

I didn’t know if I should’ve posted this here or on the July chat I started but here we go….

As you know I recently made home-made “popsicles” for the bunnies and 2 people on another rabbit forum told me that frozen food like that is bad for them (though I did say I wasn’t gonna five it to them everyday) and I tried looking it up but the closest thing I found was frozen fruit and research said that’s ok as a treat and the “popsicles” are basically just frozen fruit, just blended so now I’m confused. Is it actually bad for them or is it ok as a treat? (Again, not an every day thing, maybe once a week or so.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Passed away: Hailey (9 years old, half rat terrier and miniature pincher, Feb-5-2019),Monster (13 years old, mixed breed, Lhasa Apso and some form of terrier, Sep-14-2020), Demon (14 year old Lhasa Apso, Aug-3-2022) Blossom (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-7-2024) Thumper (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-12-2024)💔💔💔💔

• Bam
        16881 posts Send Private Message

In my experience, random internet people looove telling others that what they do is horribly wrong.

Admittedly, it would be bad if your buns consumed vast quantities of ice very rapidly. This is very easy to understand, imagine yourself gobbling up like a pound of ice in moments. Youd probably get an ice cream migraine and possibly throw up too.

But -you’re not feeding your buns a ton of these icicles at any one time. The weather is hot -rabbits dont do well in hot weather. They do need cooling.

Banana and strawberries are bunny safe if given in moderation, esp strawberries. Strawberries taste sweet but if you look up the nutritional content, you’ll find they’re mostly water. I have a family member who has type 1 diabetes, she can have strawberries no problem. (She has obviously consulted with her diabetes doctor).

I’d trust you to give small amounts of frozen treats on hot days when buns really need cooling.  I’m saying this because you’ve been on these forums for an extended time so we “know” you a little bit 🙂

• LBJ10
          16910 posts Send Private Message

I don’t see anything wrong with frozen treats. Everything in moderation, right?

• BunnyLass568
              Participant
              446 posts Send Private Message

Absolutely!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Passed away: Hailey (9 years old, half rat terrier and miniature pincher, Feb-5-2019),Monster (13 years old, mixed breed, Lhasa Apso and some form of terrier, Sep-14-2020), Demon (14 year old Lhasa Apso, Aug-3-2022) Blossom (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-7-2024) Thumper (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-12-2024)💔💔💔💔

• DanaNM
              8942 posts Send Private Message

Agree with the others! I’ve seen people even freaking out about giving buns refrigerator-cold veggies, but in the summer this is a great way to help the buns cool off! 100% agree that it’s all about the amount. As long as the amount is small (like you would give for any amount of fruit), it should be fine. 🙂

Maybe I’ll go freeze some strawberry slices for my buns!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Jupiter_Flemish Giant
                Participant
                17 posts Send Private Message

I know this isnt fully related but how much of a banana should I give a rabbit? Like half once a week, or just the whole thing. I was thinking of trying something new for Jupiter

• DanaNM
                    8942 posts Send Private Message

a half or a whole banana would be way too much! a small slice is like a candy bar for a rabbit. A 1/2 inch (1 cm) slice is plenty.

Sugary foods can cause digestive upset and if you give too much they may not want to eat their hay. If your bun doesn’t have good hay eating habits yet then I wouldn’t give any fruit yet and focus on getting their hay consumption up.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Bam
                    16881 posts Send Private Message

Jupiter: As with all new food, start small. Banana is very sugary! If you like banana yourself and since Jupiter is a big boi, you could let him have like a centimeter (about 1/2 inch) slice when you are having a banana. Although he will probably attack you for the rest of the banana as well, so you may have to eat your share in another room. Rabbits love banana 😄

• LBJ10
                      16910 posts Send Private Message

Only a small slice of banana! Bananas have a lot of sugar, so you don’t want them eating a lot.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Can bunnies have this?