Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Can Bunnies Get Sick From People?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • TARM
      Participant
      1253 posts Send Private Message

This has probably been covered in an earlier thread somewhere but right now I am dying and don’t have the energy to look for it.

I have a raging cold/virus type thing that my darling daughter brought home the first week of school.  I knew it was bad because she’s pretty stoic and she looked miserable (but she refused to miss school).  I didn’t realize HOW bad this is until I woke up sick yesterday and couldn’t stay awake for more than an hour at a time, my skin hurts, my face feels like my sinuses are going to explode, and I can barely hear.

Of course I was nowhere near the bunnies but the sickness is in the house.  I’m afraid for my ferrets because they CAN get sick from people…I just want to find out if I should be watching for sickness from the bunnies as well.

I’m at work today and I wish I could have called in sick but we’re short handed.  Blah.

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

yuck. i hope you feel better. that’s one thing about kids and school. they bring everything home with them then it circulates the family ten times! ugh.

bunnies can’t get anything from people. there’s a word for things that can be passed interspecies, don’t remember what it is! but it’s not possible. i’d still suggest washing your hands very good before and after (good practice anyways since you’re sick) and maybe if someone can help you a little bit with them.

• SnuggleBunny
          Participant
          53 posts Send Private Message

feel better ! and hopefully since your bunnies are immune, they’ll help you feel better and cheer you up too

• Kokaneeandkahlua
            Participant
            12067 posts Send Private Message

Yup Beka’s right I don’t think there is any cold that you can give your Bunnies!! Feel better!!

• osprey
              Participant
              2065 posts Send Private Message

The word you are looking for might be “zoonotic”, which means a disease that can be passed from animals to humans or humans to animals. There are some illnesses that can pass between people and rabbits (ringworm for example), but I don’t think that rhinovirus (cold) or influenza (flu) are among them. Parasites can of course be passed too, stuff like fleas and ticks can hitchhike into the house on a bunny and then go after the people. Most infections organisms are very species specific, which is why something like the “swine flu” or “bird flu” is such a big deal, it does not happen often.

• Scarlet_Rose
                Participant
                4293 posts Send Private Message

Osprey is spot-on and I’ve referenced the previous discussion in our FAQ section. Here it is:

Can a Rabbit Get Sick from Me? – Zoonotic Diseases

https://binkybunny.com/FORUM/tabid/54/forumid/2/tpage/1/view/topic/postid/41778/Default.aspx#41802

I hope you feel better soon!

• BunMumTiff
                  Participant
                  241 posts Send Private Message

I feel your pain. I work in a highschool with special needs and within a week I was sick. Went to the docs today as it has been over a week and ears were now hurting. Turns out I have a double ear infection and Bronkitus. So I feel for ya sending you hugs and wishing you better soon

• TARM
                    Participant
                    1253 posts Send Private Message

::holding my breath so I don’t breathe on you::

I was half deaf at work today. It sucks.

• Binkles
                      Participant
                      823 posts Send Private Message

Oi oi. This is good to know. I have that yucky upper-respiratory thing that’s going around.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Can Bunnies Get Sick From People?