Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Cages/bonding

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • RascalnBinks
      Participant
      53 posts Send Private Message

Hey folks me again,hope ya dont mind.Anywho,I am looking to bring home Binky bunny possibly this weekend. My question is,I am a little tight on space in my room. Which is were Rascal is and the only room for bunnies. My girl is in a NIC condo i built,42" long by 42 " high by 28" wide with two shelves. Can i post a pic on here? I dunno, if i can i wil so you guys can see it. Binky is in a plastic bottomed cage, 45" long by 22" wide by im not sure how high,but high enough that his head doesnt even touch the top. I dont have a pic of that one. So since my room is tight for space,and i dont wanna take up too much floor space with his huge cage, i was considering expanding my girls out,and splitting it in half so each have a side. Is that ok? I think id let her keep her top shelf,and make his 28 by 28 by 28 with a shelf. Is that enough for a 4.5 lb bunny? Missys bottom would be only 28" wide and long but shed still have her big shelf up to so itd still be 42" high. Whatcha think? Or would she be ok with that lol. I know i read the bonding journals and some buns just hate having another bun in another cage near them. I hope my girl wont be like that.If it doesnt work out, i can bring back the other cage and deal with it. I was trying to give the buns more floor space. I cant figure out how to do a pic on here, my computer is driving me nuts. I can give you all the link though if that helps at all. Here we go.

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q48/angelsinpa/Rascal/?action=view&current=100_1417.jpg

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q48/angelsinpa/Rascal/?action=view&current=100_1382.jpg

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q48/angelsinpa/Rascal/?action=view&current=100_1383.jpg

By the way that hotot bunny is Rascal lol. Lemme give you one of Binks too.

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q48/angelsinpa/Binky/?action=view&current=Binkycheckingmomsshoe.jpg

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q48/angelsinpa/Binky/?action=view&current=Binkysittingcute.jpg

Super cute pic i cant resist posting hehe

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q48/angelsinpa/Binky/?action=view&current=100_1979.jpg

Ok hope you dont mind all the links. If so,sorry! Not sure what i am doing on here yet haha. Lemme know what ya guys think about the expanding/splitting cage idea. Like i said i will keep the other one just in case it doesnt work out. But for space constraints,this would be ideal. Thanks for reading.

• jam224
        Participant
        6 posts Send Private Message

So since my room is tight for space,and i dont wanna take up too much floor space with his huge cage, i was considering expanding my girls out,and splitting it in half so each have a side.

So, essentially, are you thinking of making one large NIC cage with an NIC divider down the middle?  If so, I would advise against it.  From what I understand, your 2 bunnies are not yet bonded and if you only have an NIC divider between them, the holes are large enough for one bunny to nip through to the bunny on the other side, should they be aggressive.  And if you want to successfully bond them, I wouldn’t give them the opportunity to start a grudge.

This website suggests keeping them 3" inches apart in their own cages (whether that will be with 1 NIC cage and 1 plastic bottomed cage or with 2 separate NIC cages).  Keeping them close by to one another is a great idea, because it will help them get used to each other’s scent, which will help with bonding.

Hope that makes sense. :o)

• RascalnBinks
          Participant

Oh ok thanks alot. Thats what i was wondering about. Makes plenty of sense. Since i have no idea how she will react to him,i think i will keep them in seperate cages. Maybe in time if they get along, i can do the split cage thing.

• BinkyBunny
            8776 posts Send Private Message

Another way you can do it is attach a tighter netted wire (like chicken wire) or wire screen netting to the divider NIC cube. I was able to easily attach it with zipties. That way there is no way they can bite each other. You can usually get something like that at a home depot type of store. You’d have to have someone cut it to size so bring measurements of the divider with you. Shouldn’t be too expensive.

See the bonding page https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=63 and scroll down to where it says cages/pens next to each other. The one in the picture was just a something I put on for the picture, but it gives an example and shows you can attach it to anything.

FYI – You just want to make sure the netting/chicken wire would cover from the bottom up about a foot or so, so that when one is out running around  and the other one is in, that they still can’t bite each other.

• RascalnBinks
              Participant

Thanks binkybunny, i actually had a roll of wire mesh/chicken wire i was gonna use for something else but never did. So maybe i can do that for it! Gotcha on the wire on the outside lol.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Cages/bonding