Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Cage Vists – Stress or just a hello?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Butters1
      Participant
      7 posts Send Private Message

We have 3 rabbits, two are bonded (Sassy and Mangi) and live in the same cage, another in a separate cage (Butters). They don’t really get along outside of the cage. Butters usually just runs the other way, and often right back into his house, if we let the other two out while he’s out. Sometimes fur flies.

Lately, I’ve noticed that sometimes the other two will go into his cage if we leave it open. At this point,
        nobody seems to fight much about it. I can’t tell if this is a good thing where they are all trying to get
        along, or if it is likely to be making things worse. I think Butter’s non-empty food bowl is a big draw
        for Mangi (who’s name is derived from the Italian word mangia, or "it eats" or the more well known
        imperitive form that your Italian grandma uses when she feeds you, http://italian.about.com/library/fare/blfare160a.htm).

Anyway, any opinions on whether this is a social call or something that is maybe likely to cause more stress?

Thanks
        jason.

• wendyzski
        Participant
        1312 posts Send Private Message

it’s probably part of their sorting out their territorrial issues.  Are they chinning things, or pooping in his cage?  They could be making sure this interloper knows that this is THEIR house!

• Butters1
          Participant
          7 posts Send Private Message

They chin the outside of his cage, but have not (yet) pooped on or touched anything inside. Sometimes Butters puts up with it, sometimes he chases them out.

• PrinceMangi
            Participant
            2 posts Send Private Message

Well, last night in particular he was just hanging out. Both of them were in there at one point. No fuss. I can’t be certain that they’re not pooping in there.

(now it’s like we’re talking to ourselves… )

jason.

• Scarlet_Rose
              Participant
              4293 posts Send Private Message

If there is no fighting and they seem to be getting along, they could just be expanding a comfort zone with each other and are establishing a hierarchy in a non fur-flying manner.  So, I think I would say social call.  If it does get territorial with the pooping, limit their access and you’ll really want to try to introduce them to each other in a neutral territory because the bunny that has been there longer has "established" territory and be less open to being social and friendly with an "intruder". Binky Bunny has a good intro to bonding here:

https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=63

• BB Administrator
                Keymaster
                392 posts Send Private Message

Well, all I can say is "Whew". Sometimes a bunny wandering into another’s cage (one they haven’t bonded with yet) can create madness and mayhem. Just watch carefully.  And if there is no easy way for you to get in the cage and break up a fight, then you may want to prevent them from going in, but take this as a sign that maybe having another go at bonding might be worth a try.

Helloworld!!

• PrinceMangi
                  Participant
                  2 posts Send Private Message

…you’ll really want to try to introduce them to each other in a neutral territory because the bunny that has been there longer has "established" territory…

Well, we didn’t mention this, but the following applies here:

1). The two groups were introduced for the first time in our new apartment–it was neutral from the beginning.
                    2). We’ve tried even "more" neutral zones, like the bath tub, to introduce them; it was less than satisfactory.
                    3). Their cages are right next to each other, so they’ve been sniffing (and staring down) each other for months.
                    4). Now they have "pooping" wars–Mangi and Sassy used to be respectable, totally litter-trained; now their "out" area is one big litter box.
                    5). I’m sure by now, Mangi is the Alpha bunny (although he never chins anything; very strange) and all but Butters has fallen into his rabbit logic; maybe he’s trying a new tactic. Not sure.

So, basically either they will NEVER get along, and separate time out with no interaction is the answer. Or, they will start to get along by spending time in the same cage. Or, Mangi will befriend Butters and Sassy wont–which will be just like her (she’s the tiny, cute, NASTY one).

I’m just looking for people to place their bets on which will be true.

thanks
                    jason.

• BinkyBunny
                    8776 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits are soooooo unpredictable. I never place bets on them. I just watch and learn, watch and learn, watch and learn. Good luck!!

Oh, I forgot to mention that one member – I think Fujoethebunny, had a similar experience.  Neutral territories and stress methods only made things worse during her bonding efforts, and using less neutral seemed to work.  This is not the norm, and I wouldn’t recommend this as advice to the masses, but  bunnies never cease to amaze me and there are always the few that break even the most basic "we think we know it all" rules.  Bottomline is for success is observation and knowing your bunnies.   With trial and error, you’ll find what works and what doesn’t.

Keep us updated!

Just be sure you can break up a fight wherever they may end up.

• Scarlet_Rose
                      Participant
                      4293 posts Send Private Message

Ah I see, well it will be interesting to see how things work out.  Binky Bunny has given you some great tips, she’s a bonding expert!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Cage Vists – Stress or just a hello?