Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS cage theory

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • scubahood
      Participant
      88 posts Send Private Message

so, i’ve been reading past questions and answers from the binky bunny forum…

and i’m a bit hesitant to admit that my bun lives in a tiny cage, built for a small dog, that i’ve tipped over to give it some more floor space .. and i’ve put cardboard on the floor so it won’t hurt her feet .  She’s a small rabbit, I will guess around 4-5 lbs.. but I only close the door at night.. she generally has freedom to go whereever she wants

i’ve always thought of rabbits as house horses.. they need free (pasture) time but it’s acceptable to confine them to a stall (dog cage) for their safety and well being

.. here’s my question:  i was planning to get a bigger cage for her but my dog has been better with her than i expected and she’s been more brazen than i expected so i’m wondering if it would be acceptable to keep the small dog cage as her ‘home base’.. where her food and water is..

or should i get a proper cage?

another note:

i’ve noticed everytime i kind of mess with her living situation, she becomes more friendly.. i noticed this with my first rabbit also.. is this a calming technique or a coincidence ?

• Taffeta
        Participant
        11 posts Send Private Message

So you are asking if you can keep the cage, BUT she would never be locked in it? I would think this is fine. If she had to be locked in it, I would get a proper cage.

I’m not sure about the second question. Maybe it’s just coincidence

• tophdade
          Participant
          67 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Taffeta on 12/21/2014 11:57 AM

So you are asking if you can keep the cage, BUT she would never be locked in it? I would think this is fine. If she had to be locked in it, I would get a proper cage.

I’m not sure about the second question. Maybe it’s just coincidence

Agree here. My girls have a good amount of cage time, so they have massive cages. She doesn’t need a big cage if she’s never in it.

• scubahood
            Participant
            88 posts Send Private Message

hmm.. i got a bit side tracked and away from my point with this one..

my ‘cage theory’ .. which i think should be renamed ‘environment theory’ is that all of (both) buns i’ve lived with seemed to almost enjoy me (the hand) messing with their environment.. my new hopper used to spook when i came around.. but now i give her a couple craisins and then flip and move all her boxes into new positions/locations.. and she gets interested and wants to come around

i figured this out faster with her than my first bunny who stayed in his tiny open cage for close to two months before i moved it onto carpet and he came out right away!

in short: my theory is that buns like it when you mess with there environment for some reason (if anyone has some science to back this theory up i love that

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS cage theory